need advice on truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
been looking for a cummins for awhile now. found this truck not too far from me, its a 2006 quad cab short bed auto 4x4. has 196k miles on it and I believe the 48re tranny? correct me if Im wrong. my questions I guess are what to look for as far as problems? getting a torque converter put in it now, i drove it yesterday and everything seemed good. anything to look out for with this many miles? obviously the motor is not an issue. c'mon now its a cummins...

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From what I have heard, and my dad's Cummins, a couple work trucks, the front ends are a weak point.

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
How about thetranny? With almost 200k should I be looking at a rebuild? Bone stock truck and never hada tuner on it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
196k is a long time for a lot of abuse to have happened.

Get under it and look it over. See how the suspension looks, chances are most all the bushings are shot and will need to be replaced.

The trac bar is another weak spot, there are some great kits out there to address it all.
(DT ProFab driveability kit for example) but it doesn't come cheap.

Just make sure you're not buying into a lot of problems you can't afford to fix.
The hub units on them can also be costly.