Installing a DRL module for amber LEDs at full power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Myself and a couple other members from the Another forum figured out how to make the DRL-1 module work on the new model trucks. This is for those of us (most) who have been unsuccessful at having the dealer activate their amber LEDs at full power whenever the vehicle is in gear.

I don't have any pictures as I didn't think to take any when I was reinstalling my module. Anyhow - here is the procedure.

- You'll need the following -
DRL-1 Module which can be bought here -

DRL-1 Daytime Running Lamp Module Installation

5 wire taps
One zip tie

Now this is for trucks that have the stock OEM projectors.

Once you have the above equipment in hand - lets get to work.

1. Start by removing the grille and headlight assemblies off the truck completely. The grille isn't necessary to remove, but just makes it easier.

2. Find a secure spot to secure the DRL module. I just zip-tied mine to a factory wire harness near the driver side headlight.

3. The yellow wire is your power wire. This needs to be tapped into an ignition powered source. I used a fuse tap and used one of the fuse locations, thus my DRLs are on at full power whenever the truck is on (unless my headlights are on which is explained further).

4. Your green wire is ground. I just made a hole in the frame behind the headlight with a self tapping screw and secured it there.

THERE IS NO CUTTING OF FACTORY WIRES NECESSARY!! The online instructions state to do that, but it is not required any longer.

5. The blue wire you want to use a wire tap and tap into Pin # 2 which is your parking light wire. This will cause the DRLs to dim to half power (like normal) when you flip your parking/fog lights on.

6. The Violet wire taps into your OEM DRL wire which is Pin # 4.

7. The Pink wire taps into your turn signal wire which is Pin # 12.

8. Extend the Red and Brown wires to your passenger side harness.

9. Wire tap the RED wire into the turn signal wire Pin # 12 on passenger side

10. Wire tap the brown wire into the DRL wire Pin # 4 on passenger side

The white wire coming off the DRL module can or can not be used. If used, it just makes it so when you turn your blinker on, it'll turn the other side DRL off until you turn your blinker back off.

I hope this helps someone who's been wanting DRLs.

When I followed the instructions that were given with the module, it caused my truck to give me bulb out errors and hyperflash the mirror blinkers. But once the other member on the Z forum was able to figure this out- I installed mine the same way and now have no errors and have my DRLs back and love it!

PM me if you have any questions. :word:

Last edited:

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Where did you get the Micro2 fuse tap? Local parts stores (RI) do not have anything, including Micro2 fuses yet.
Good work and persistence The original instructions with the kit were probably meant for incandescent bulbs.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get the Micro2 fuse tap? Local parts stores (RI) do not have anything, including Micro2 fuses yet.
Good work and persistence The original instructions with the kit were probably meant for incandescent bulbs.

I ordered one off Ebay. Couple bucks. And the original instructions worked on my 2013 truck with the same setup. But for this truck for some reason it just kept giving me problems.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm taking mine to the dealer to see if they can Canadian it up and activate the DRL's. If that don't work I'll be hitting you up for some info. I bought the amber/white switchbacks

2015 ram sport 4x4

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm taking mine to the dealer to see if they can Canadian it up and activate the DRL's. If that don't work I'll be hitting you up for some info. I bought the amber/white switchbacks

2015 ram sport 4x4

Switching the truck from US to Canada mode will not work. It has nothing to do with that from what I have been told.

What is this switchback you speak of? I like my amber DRLs, but would much rather them be white.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Switching the truck from US to Canada mode will not work. It has nothing to do with that from what I have been told.

What is this switchback you speak of? I like my amber DRLs, but would much rather them be white.
Check out diode dynamics site. They also have multi colored ones

2015 ram sport 4x4

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD

http://www.ramforum.com/f53/activating_drls_usa_built_ram-38719/

Here is the link to another thread in this forum that I started about all the trouble I had getting my DRLs working as I purchased the truck while living in California but knew I was moving back to Canada and planned to bring the truck back with me.

But you are correct turning the truck to Canada Mode didn't work in 2014.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pictures of your wiring speaks a 1000 words. Do you have any?

No. I did not take any. But if you follow the above instructions, it's pretty hard to go wrong. Just locate the mentioned Pin on your factory headlight harness, locate the correct colored wire from your DRL module and just use a wire tap to tap into said wire. :happy107:

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes i would have no trouble connecting with the instructions IF i knew what pins are on the connector. I could just pick a wire and HOPE that is the correct pin. Until then i have no clue which is correct.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes i would have no trouble connecting with the instructions IF i knew what pins are on the connector. I could just pick a wire and HOPE that is the correct pin. Until then i have no clue which is correct.

Well, if you unplug the harness from the headlight and look at the back of it (where the wires are going into the headlight harness) you will see them all labeled with a number, thus - this is the PIN # lol- Magic I tell ya! :favorites13:

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

2015 ram sport 4x4
Could you explain and hopefully show me what these "switchbacks" are I keep reading about? Thanks - Chris

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are called switchbacks because they light up white until you turn your blinker on they it goes to amber

2015 ram sport 4x4

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bright are these during the day? How hard are they to bake open? That would be the hardest part for me. Wiring is simple.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They're not real bright in the daylight. I think with the drl -1 module they get brighter. Easy to install, hardest part is definitely getting the light open. I didn't see the bake video until after I was done.

2015 ram sport 4x4

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
FYI when you have LM5 added the DRL's are still on when your fogs are just on. it does not dim the DRLs until you put your headlights on or put it in park or use the ebrake.

I find it hard to believe people cannot get this added by the dealer there is written instructions from FCA on how to do this for the techs..