2022 classic aligned to 5th gen specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
So had a alignment done on my 2022 classic, get home and look at the spec sheet and see they aligned to a 2022 5th gen model and not a classic (2018 and prior). Anyone here in the alignment game and know if the specs are the same or not? Always something…Thanks!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my last alignment on a 2018 CC 4x4 with 20 inch rims. Not that this alignment was done correctly as they were lazy and didn’t bother with getting the camber correct. It was done by NTB.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 27

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My wife's Durango's steering wheel was cocked to the left slightly. Enough for me to notice it. Been to the dealer twice for it and now it is off to the right. It has paddle shifters so it needs to be centered properly. Seems like these dealerships just hire anyone off the streets regardless for their experience. You might be better off taking it to a different shop.

pacu44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My wife's Durango's steering wheel was cocked to the left slightly. Enough for me to notice it. Been to the dealer twice for it and now it is off to the right. It has paddle shifters so it needs to be centered properly. Seems like these dealerships just hire anyone off the streets regardless for their experience. You might be better off taking it to a different shop.
clock spring failure is certain if you dont get this corrected.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
clock spring failure is certain if you dont get this corrected.
Why would the clock-spring fail? It's primary function is to allow electrical contact while turning the steering wheel, it won't know that it's not centered nor does it care.

If the steering angle sensor will give a vehicle ESC system fits if the steering system isn't adjusted and calibrated properly.

zrock

Reaction score
your truck is not a 2018 so why would they align it to those spec's..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
your truck is not a 2018 so why would they align it to those spec's..
The OP's truck is a '22 Classic which makes it a DS Gen4 platform, his alignment specs are the same ones used for the '13-''18 (and '19-'23 Classic) trucks. The DS platform is different from the +'19 DT Gen5 platform.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Take it back and make them do it right, or find someone else.

My truck is lowered and I had to go back a couple of times, until finally I asked to see the specs before he finalized his work.

I still had to have him tweak it before I would sign off.

They do the minimum and only look at the machine not the actual setup.

Lack of pride in their work or just don't care

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my last alignment on a 2018 CC 4x4 with 20 inch rims. Not that this alignment was done correctly as they were lazy and didn’t bother with getting the camber correct. It was done by NTB.
I have a 17 inch wheel, probably different specs, I wonder if there is a difference in the 2 generations

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to a good trusted shop best around for alignments from my experience, they claimed they looked up both trucks and they were the same specs, I guess now a days you can just scan the registration or something and it takes the vin and the specs pop up? Weird. 2 places scanned it and have the specs for a 5th gen

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Three point to ponder:

#1) Doing an alignment, especially setting the toe-in *right* so it is centered is a finicky process and can be affected by as little as 1/4 or even 1/8 turn on the tie rod to get it 'perfect' going down the road. Setting it by machine is step one. Ideally the alignment tech would take the car/truck for a test drive over a couple different road surfaces and recalibrate. Well guess what? That takes time and costs money. Many will skip that final step because they get it 'close' and most customers don't come back and complain. Maybe it's right on, or very close ...but most don't come back to complain, so the practice continues.

#2) Different roads have different crown characteristics that can affect steering wheel center too.

#3) The other settings, Caster & Camber, while important are more 'flexible' and wider tolerance.

Toe-in is the harder one to get 'on the money' due to variable road conditions and even tire factors. It's the setting owners notice most.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three point to ponder:

#1) Doing an alignment, especially setting the toe-in *right* so it is centered is a finicky process and can be affected by as little as 1/4 or even 1/8 turn on the tie rod to get it 'perfect' going down the road. Setting it by machine is step one. Ideally the alignment tech would take the car/truck for a test drive over a couple different road surfaces and recalibrate. Well guess what? That takes time and costs money. Many will skip that final step because they get it 'close' and most customers don't come back and complain. Maybe it's right on, or very close ...but most don't come back to complain, so the practice continues.

#2) Different roads have different crown characteristics that can affect steering wheel center too.

#3) The other settings, Caster & Camber, while important are more 'flexible' and wider tolerance.

Toe-in is the harder one to get 'on the money' due to variable road conditions and even tire factors. It's the setting owners notice most.
Toe-ins with TX roads a mother. Want to have fun, ride a Trike on modern roads, especially rural ones with crowns. Either your front end gonna vibrate or rear wheels, because the back wheels do not track behind the center front wheel. Why U see a lot of trike riders riding hard left or hard right, trying to find the path to least resistance and bump for yer buck. Now try that on a windy day with a crosswind, oh baby.

I haven't around here found many people that take the time to know how and do an alignment properly. Seems the wheels are NEVER properly centered, always either a bit left or bit right. Most rely on the machine more, well close enuf to specs then take pride in their work.

ALL IMHO..

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Toe-ins with TX roads a mother. Want to have fun, ride a Trike on modern roads, especially rural ones with crowns. Either your front end gonna vibrate or rear wheels, because the back wheels do not track behind the center front wheel. Why U see a lot of trike riders riding hard left or hard right, trying to find the path to least resistance and bump for yer buck. Now try that on a windy day with a crosswind, oh baby.

I haven't around here found many people that take the time to know how and do an alignment properly. Seems the wheels are NEVER properly centered, always either a bit left or bit right. Most rely on the machine more, well close enuf to specs then take pride in their work.

ALL IMHO..
Mine doesn’t seem that bad, probably more in my ocd head, but what’s bothering me the most is wondering if the specs are the same for the gen 4 and gen 5 trucks as mine was aligned with 5th gen specs for a 4th gen truck

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A guy can crawl under, loosen the jamb nuts, adjust the tie rods accordingly and road-test to restore tow until the steering wheel is straight. It's a 15-25 min job. Be sure to mark each tie rod with a line before you begin, & ensure you rotate each the same amount as you tweak it until you get it right where the steering wheel is straight. (obviously don't rotate in the wrong directions). If you need, measure across same treads front to rear and set toe-in ...appx 1/8-3/16" F/R with street tires.

Verify measurements with jamb nuts tightened as tightening them will affect the toe.

pacu44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Why would the clock-spring fail? It's primary function is to allow electrical contact while turning the steering wheel, it won't know that it's not centered nor does it care.

If the steering angle sensor will give a vehicle ESC system fits if the steering system isn't adjusted and calibrated properly
time will tell who is right

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just heard back from the dealership, they claim all 1500s are the same wether it’s a 4th gen or a 5th gen only difference is if it has air suspension, so I guess the other shop was not lying. Good to know!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds about right. Alighment specs have a +/- variance that's not super tight.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just heard back from the dealership, they claim all 1500s are the same wether it’s a 4th gen or a 5th gen only difference is if it has air suspension, so I guess the other shop was not lying. Good to know!
Thanks for the update
good to know

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll bet they're not locking the steering wheel in place while they are adjusting the tie-rods.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95755 miles.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who is NTB?