6.4 or cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
He also baits people into a debate so he can use all his linked studies and "YOU ARE WRONG" BS as if he gets some sort of excitement out of doing so.

How did I bait you into anything. This thread was going fine until you showed up.

I don't care how many studies this guy sites, he does not have 500k on his truck and does not know how much $$$ he will spend to get there. That is FACT.

And you don't have 500k on a Cummins engine either yet you seem to yhink you know all about them.

That is really what started this entire mess.

No, what started this mess is you saying that my engine will fail and not last comparing the issues you had with your VW diesels even though you have never owned a Cummins with SCR to know what issues they will have.

Question, what were all of the diesels vehicles you owned and their years models? Where they Jetta's, Passats?

So. Hotbro, I will shut up and let it go... as always, Southtexan can have the last word and feel the overall joy from thinking he has "won". Just a hunch, but I be he is about 5'5" tall and has a severe case of "small man" complex. Big truck, Powerful engine, know it all attitude, gets a sick enjoyment out of telling people they are wrong... Yep.. Check his post history and see how many "******* matches" he has been involved in...

Don't **** on my engine choice(without experience to know) with false, exaggerated, or assumed info and I there won't be no "******* matches". Look at how many "******* matches" Hootbro and the others get in with Danno because he is ******* on their engine choice. Blaming me for this ******* match is like blaming 6.4 Dude, Hootbro, TheViking, or Smurf for the crap that Danno starts with his comments. They are only responding and rebutting his ******* on their engine choice BS and if he would just stop then they would as well. Same with you and I.

Like I said, this thread was going fine until you came along with your applying VW diesel problem rants and tirades to a Cummins. Nobody was bashing either engine choice and giving good advice from experience before you showed up.

I will leave him with this...:flipthebird: .

Back at ya buddy!

Last edited:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey south texan, I read your article you posted from the guy at the University of Michigan. It seems like the biggest hit the gasser ram takes vs the diesel is the depreciation. That may even be understated because when I was looking at used 2500s I could not find a cummins truck with under 100,000 miles for under $30000. There were quite a few 6.4 trucks with under 30,000 k Iles for that price.
The fuel charts/maintenence etc looked pretty even on his graphs. I'd like to know just out of curiosity, how long it takes a gasser to pass a diesel in cost of ownership for the guy who works out of his truck and is gonna be getting 200000-300000 miles out of it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Hey south texan, I read your article you posted from the guy at the University of Michigan. It seems like the biggest hit the gasser ram takes vs the diesel is the depreciation. That may even be understated because when I was looking at used 2500s I could not find a cummins truck with under 100,000 miles for under $30000. There were quite a few 6.4 trucks with under 30,000 k Iles for that price.
The fuel charts/maintenence etc looked pretty even on his graphs. I'd like to know just out of curiosity, how long it takes a gasser to pass a diesel in cost of ownership for the guy who works out of his truck and is gonna be getting 200000-300000 miles out of it.

Well, if you keep that truck forever then I am not sure. However, if you trade it in after 200k-300k miles then the money will be recouped in trade-in/resale. There is a big difference in resale/trade-in value of a gas truck meant for towing with 200k miles and a diesel truck meant for towing with 200k miles.

Last edited:

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

When I was looking it would say their were thousands of trucks available within 250 miles of my location at my price point. Once I clicked the fuel type it narrowed it down to less than 100 or so. Didn't seem to matter if I wanted a 13, 14 or 15 the prices were all sky high.

The figures in the Univ of Mich seem a bit bloated IMO, but the data was still there (discussing mostly cars) but today's "clean diesel" is a powerhouse that requires little to no maint. No idea now if that even holds true with the diesel scam European automakers tried to pull.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pre-SCR Ram 6.7l, Ford 6.0 and 6.4 have worked over buyer confidence for some as well.

How many people still associate dodge with weak transmissions?

IMO, cummins is the best light duty diesel on the market ATM. Millions will disagree with that statement. Doesn't mean I trust all the emissions crap bolted to it to last. My options when buying were used cummins (drove 4) about to be out of warranty or a new Hemi with 5yr/100k that could do everything I would ask of it for the same money. It may not do it as quickly or efficiently as the cummins but it sure is nice to have a vehicle that I can account for every last mile on it. I know it's maintenance history and how it's been used/abused. I know I have another 4yrs, 76,*** miles of powertrain warranty. It's nice living in a small town where we experience freezing temps 9 months of the year with stretches never climbing above 10. Over night lows in -20's, -40/-50 wind chill for days and days. I don't have to worry about gelling. I don't have to worry about my wife driving it 3 miles to work for her 13hr shifts with nowhere to plug it in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
There is not much I worry about either, especially when towing up hills it at high altitudes.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
5'5" tall.. small man complex.. :leghump:

How is me saying "There is not much I worry about either, especially when towing up hills it at high altitudes" any different than Drittal saying.....

I don't have to worry about gelling. I don't have to worry about my wife driving it 3 miles to work for her 13hr shifts with nowhere to plug it in.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like towing at over 90% of my GCWR up into the Bighorn Mtns, the Bear Lodge Mtns, and the Black Hills. You know the same black hills that contain the highest point east of the Rockies.

Made it to the top of every pass and hill along the path and back down without a tow truck or without over heating.

I know it was a jab at the engine management experienced on the IKE testing that so very few of us have ever experienced, yet turn a blind eye at the invasive nannies EVERY 6.7l cummins has programmed from the factory to limit power in low gears.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Nice jab Danno, uh I mean south Tex.....

If you have any wondering if I am Danno like you have continuously insinuated throughout many threads, then ask the mods if we both have the same IP or any other info. I don't mind if they tell you because I have nothing to hide since I don't post under multiple members like has been inferred by you.

I would also ask you the same question I asked 65plymouth. How was what I said any different than what Drittal said?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Like towing at over 90% of my GCWR up into the Bighorn Mtns, the Bear Lodge Mtns, and the Black Hills. You know the same black hills that contain the highest point east of the Rockies.

Made it to the top of every pass and hill along the path and back down without a tow truck or without over heating.

I know it was a jab at the engine management experienced on the IKE testing that so very few of us have ever experienced, yet turn a blind eye at the invasive nannies EVERY 6.7l cummins has programmed from the factory to limit power in low gears.

Why are you bringing up the Ike. I never said anything about the Ike. Nor did I even mention the 6.4L.

You jabbed, and I jabbed back. Don't throw punches unless you can take them back, because you should now by now that I will return the favor.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Multiple user names, multiple ip addresses. The jig is up hoss....

Nope, neither is the case.

Moderators, you have my full permission to let him see my records.

Although I have to ask again. How was what I said any different than what Drittal said?

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nope, neither is the case.

Moderators, you have my full permission to let him see my records.

Although I have to ask again. How was what I said any different than what Drittal said?

I'm pretty sure the moderators have all but abandoned this forum.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey 6.4dude, in your 102,*** miles of towing nearly daily how many times have you encountered the gear hold programming?

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Why are you bringing up the Ike. I never said anything about the Ike. Nor did I even mention the 6.4L.

You jabbed, and I jabbed back. Don't throw punches unless you can take them back, because you should now by now that I will return the favor.

Watch out... Small man is puffing his chest out...He will jab back... Be very careful.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Watch out... Small man is puffing his chest out...He will jab back... Be very careful.

Ya damn skippy lol. Haven't you learned by now that there is not a thing you can say about me that will get to me. If your words held more value then yes, but since they don't....meh.... Besides, you can't even think of any worse insults that have already been told to me by my DI back in the day. Oh, and I am 6'1" BTW.

Although, didn't you say you were out of here(again) like four posts back? What is that now, two times you lied when you said you were through with this thread yet you returned, and probably about four or five times you said you put me on ignore yet you haven't. Are we going for three and six?

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Besides, you can't even think of any worse insults that I have already been told to me by my DI back in the day

But I bet you didn't get the last word in on him. I kid, I kid, time for a beer.