6.4 or cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
But I bet you didn't get the last word in on him. I kid, I kid, time for a beer.

Hell, no. That was one man I will admit that I didn't have the bally wallys to cross. He let you know real quick that he was the HMFIC.

I have about 40 more minutes until I can escape my office so have a beer for me. :favorites13:

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Watch out... Small man is puffing his chest out...He will jab back... Be very careful.

You and him are more alike than different. Neither one of you can just make a clean break and walk away.

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
I am just having fun now. I could care less what he says. Lol. This thread has gone on way, way too long.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
You and him are more alike than different. Neither one of you can just make a clean break and walk away.

Remember that the next time you get into it with Danno.

Oh and don't forget drittal. He's down here with us too since he can't help but get his jabs in as well. Don't want anyone to feel left out.

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Remember that the next time you get into it with Danno.

Oh and don't forget drittal. He's down here with us too since he can't help but get his jabs in as well. Don't want anyone to feel left out.

Thanks for the shout out!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Don't get too excited. SouthTexan may be your buddy, but the rest of us know you're about as useful as having Hillary in the White House.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Don't get too excited. SouthTexan may be your buddy, but the rest of us know you're about as useful as having Hillary in the White House.

Yhea I agree, Hillary in the white house will be like the 6.4 trying to pull the IKE. A disaster!!! Good news we can tell who will vote for her....

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wow. Go away for a weekend and come back and this mess goes another 10 pages......

Meanwhile I was busy towing horses 500 miles round trip with my 6.4L which according to someone on here can't get out of its way, so I guess I was lucky it climbed through the lowly Berkshires nicely and provided a nice quiet easy ride for the horses.

For my 7000-7500lbs + 1000-2000lbs payload this truck meets my needs nicely.

This thread has been entertaining.....

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Wow. Go away for a weekend and come back and this mess goes another 10 pages......

Meanwhile I was busy towing horses 500 miles round trip with my 6.4L which according to someone on here can't get out of its way, so I guess I was lucky it climbed through the lowly Berkshires nicely and provided a nice quiet easy ride for the horses.

For my 7000-7500lbs + 1000-2000lbs payload this truck meets my needs nicely.

This thread has been entertaining.....

What were you seeing for mpg's?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Buddy? Now that's a low blow.

I was thinking him and Plymouth are in the same camp since they both like Chevy's.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Don't get ahead of yourself. It was not a "shoutout". I dont agree with what you do by bringing up the Ike tests all the time in every thread even when it isn't the threads topic or the current conversation of the thread. If the topic of the thread was about the pros and cons of a 6.4L then I can see you bringing it up since the limp mode is a con for those who might be in situation to experience it, but bringing it up off topic in every thread like you do is wrong in my book. Especially when you don't own the 6.4L.

Last edited:

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What were you seeing for mpg's?

I have made this 400-500 mile run several times now with this truck and this run was consistent with the others on fuel economy, 9.5-10.8 is what I had. Depending on the return trip.....we had a good head wind on the ride home.

WIth the 3.73s and 35" tires I am fine with that performance. This truck does well when you can keep speeds in the 63-68 mph range but due to traffic and truck traffic in the hills we found ourselves in the 55-60mph range a lot which means 3rd gear on the hills, 3rd puts you solidly in the sweet spot for this engine and it will accelerate my load easily up good grades to pass slower big rigs etc. Of course 3rd gear will drink plenty of fuel.

We towed in a caravan with a 2013 Cummins, 2009 6.4 PSD (modded) and a Silverado 1500 and the Cummins with a similar load got 12.8mpg on the same route but that also included six 10 mile trips unloaded to the hotel.

I only tracked my towing mpg, the hotel runs were normal unloaded mpg......12-15mpg in mixed highway side roads.

The 6.4L PSD had gobs of power but a more tentative driver, don't know the fuel economy but knowing the 6.4L PSD, it probably was closer to what I got in the gasser, just with assloads of torque.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Buddy? Now that's a low blow.

I was thinking him and Plymouth are in the same camp since they both like Chevy's.

Seemed like you were more or less defending him. Apologies if I was wrong.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Seemed like you were more or less defending him. Apologies if I was wrong.

No, I never defended his actions. I was just comparing his actions of always bringing up the same crap about the 6.4L to what others were doing here about the Cummins. I was also comparing how others were reacting to Danno posts and how it was no different from how I was reacting to 65Plymouth's posts.

I never condoned his actions, and even stated so in this and other threads multiple times.

Last edited:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been funny watching you guys go back n forth.

Meanwhile.....saw this silly CUMMINS owner today....poor fella....

Somebody didn't tell him he wasn't pullin a trailer. Drove all over with them mirrors flipped up. :shakehead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 32

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Been funny watching you guys go back n forth.

Meanwhile.....saw this silly CUMMINS owner today....poor fella....

Somebody didn't tell him he wasn't pullin a trailer. Drove all over with them mirrors flipped up. :shakehead:

Unfortunately that is the norm around here and it is not limited to Cummns HD trucks either. Hell, I have even seen 1500s with tow mirrors out while not towing. People say it helps them see better, but it still looks goofy to me when they are out without towing. Although I do have one friend who always has them out because he always tows every weekend(sometimes during the week) and he got tired of flipping them and readjusting the mirrors all the time.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unfortunately that is the norm around here and it is not limited to Cummns HD trucks either. Hell, I have even seen 1500s with tow mirrors out while not towing. People say it helps them see better, but it still looks goofy to me when they are out without towing. Although I do have one friend who always has them out because he always tows every weekend(sometimes during the week) and he got tired of flipping them and readjusting the mirrors all the time.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it awkward to try to see properly with them out and no trailer to try to see around.

Side note: depending on trim if you are able to save the driver settings, I always use Save 1 for the normal position and Save 2 for the flip out. Then I just flip them and press a button :)

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Maybe it's just me, but I find it awkward to try to see properly with them out and no trailer to try to see around.

Side note: depending on trim if you are able to save the driver settings, I always use Save 1 for the normal position and Save 2 for the flip out. Then I just flip them and press a button :)

Great idea, I wish I can do that. Setting two is the wifey's setting and she sometimes uses my truck to tow the horse trailer or when I had one too many to drive home ..... which happens more often then you might think. I don't think his truck has memory either.

Last edited: