anyone found 6 ply 18" tires to run on a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Hi there, so the ride is just too firm for me. I am starting with easiest thing to change. I have a set of 18x9s with some AT tires on. I knew they had added some vibes etc so I bought a set of stock wheels and tires. So much smoother, but of course still 10 ply ( I run them at 50lbs) . I am not hauling anything heavy so I am thinking about putting on some 6 ply tires. I would imagine that would help by providing more give in the tires and add a little spring.

I found a set of 265/70/18 Yokohama Geolander ATs which are 6 ply. I like these tires and have run them before. the unfortunate thing is they are about 6/10s of an inch smaller in diameter as compared to the stock 275/70s.

Has anyone run some 6 plys? If so what size? did it help the ride?

my next step after that is to address the springs and shocks.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Curious how all of this plays out. Every Dodge/RAM I have owned let you know where every bump in the road was regardless of having stock or nitro shocks, steering braces, dampeners, OEM tires, or aftermarket bigger tires. Haven't ever went down to a 6 ply, but I'll keep checking back to see if you bought and if it changed anything.

Any tire with a lesser diameter will speed up your odometer. May not be talking of miles here but still.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I ran Cooper A/T3 Load D 315/70/17's on my 2011. That was a few years ago but I don't remember it making that much of a difference. Now I have the same size but Load E on my 2016 with full Thuren suspension and the ride is way better. I understand your theory but IMO springs and shocks are going to make a bigger difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
never heard of anyone going 6-ply on a HD truck. i would imagine they would wear poorly with the weight of the truck, especially the front end.

going to a tire with a lighter load rating will certainly smooth out the ride a bit. also a smaller wheel, while still keeping the same overall diameter or bigger tire will help add some cushion as well. whats going to make the biggest difference is the springs though. id say your probably better off skipping the 6 ply tires and changing the suspension first.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
I hear you. I definitely want to change tires because I can see how much weight is on these and I think its the tires driving that (Falken AT3s). Could be the aftermarket wheels but I am betting tires. The stock ones are so smooth and true in comparison while still riding rough.

Yes the springs: Thuren is very hard to speak with, but from what I can determine, the springs they offer are for 4wd and I have 2wd. I do not want to raise the truck, which is one reason I didnt get a 4wd to begin with. Having said that,anyone know of soft riding 2wd spring replacements?

Keep your thoughts coming

Just FYI yes its a 3/4: I wanted a 6'4 bed and crew cab and it was cheap in comparison to others and I hate the 8speed in the half ton. Dont want an 1/2 ton but I definitely need to improve the ride. my 09 crew was a 1500 and it rode like butter.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What year and motor do you have? It'd be helpful if you updated your truck info.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
With the new coil spring suspension I think these are the best riding 3/4 ton trucks I have ever rode in. With the tires down to 50psi I would say it rides about equal to the 1/2 ton.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
With the new coil spring suspension I think these are the best riding 3/4 ton trucks I have ever rode in. With the tires down to 50psi I would say it rides about equal to the 1/2 ton.

I could agree with that. I feel mine is still just a hair stiffer than my 1500 was with these 35s. Cant believe how little I mind the ride in this truck. I remember some older HDs i have been in felt like I had taken body punches after I got out lol. Daily driving this thing is fine to me.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
not sure what 2500 or 1500 your comparing to, but Ram to Ram there is no comparison in ride. 1500 crew with good tires rides like a fine SUV, vs 2500 rides like a truck/board. it might ride better than other brand 2500 but its a big, heavily sprung truck.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Try running 45-50 psi in your tires. Major difference.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
not sure what 2500 or 1500 your comparing to, but Ram to Ram there is no comparison in ride. 1500 crew with good tires rides like a fine SUV, vs 2500 rides like a truck/board. it might ride better than other brand 2500 but its a big, heavily sprung truck.

I personally am comparing all brands of 3/4 ton I have driven over the years. Currently our company truck is a Chevy 2wd 3/4 ton & mine rides nicer than it. Grant it the company truck is older (2000) but it has recently has had new tires & shocks. In 2016 when I was shopping for a truck I was on the fence on whether to buy a 1500 or 2500 so I was test driving both in 4wd CC versions. I found the 2500 was not all that rougher than the 1500. After lowering my tire pressure to 50-55psi I felt they were very comparable in rides. I agree the older 2500's with leaf springs definitely let you know it was a 3/4 ton with it's ride.
I think some on here have talked about changing springs out with the Power Wagon set up for a better ride. This may be an option for you. I have never driven one of the new PW so I can't verify that it is a better ride.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yea... that's why they sell two different model trucks. One is meant to be soft and cushy (half ton) and the other is meant to be firm and capable (3/4 and one ton).

Why are you trying to castrate a 3/4 ton truck? Seems it would be cheaper and easier to just trade your truck in and get a 1500 if that's what you want. I guess I'm confused at the problem...

Oh, and buy the way, Dodge didn't make your 2016 Ram. The Ram has been split from Dodge since 2009...

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

That's because it basically is an SUV. The HD is completely different underneath. So for what it is, the ride is remarkably similar to my 2013 1500. When I picked up this truck right after leaving them with the 1500 I drove it home with the 85 friggin pounds of air the factory preloaded into the tires and I still was surprised how well I thought it drove.

The only real option if you think the ride sucks is to swap coils out with soft ones, and Thuren would be your best bet as others have said. I think you can get 1 inch front coils from them which would basically be no lift, and the rear kit is I thought either a 0 or 1 inch option. But the short coils might be Cummins only, I dont remember. In all honesty I cant see how a 6 ply tire is going to make any difference.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
yep no point beating a dead horse here as we have a seat of the pants comparison. Trust me the 1500 is remarkably smooth. Tires do play a big part. As you all have said, it weighs more and has heavier running gear. I know its the cheapest option to go with these springs vs a better coil. Thurens are better, case in point. Problem is the lifts they are mentioning are lifts over the 4wd springs not 2wd. I parked next to a 4wd that looked stock, hoping only the front springs were longer, but no the back sits up higher too. yes the power wagons would ride smoother but then I would be at 4wd height which I do not want.

As far as castrating the truck, there are ways to keep the load capacity and get a smoother ride. for the rear, I was going to put softer coils and add air bags. the front I wasnt really too concerned with. The tires will make a difference because they will flex.
just in case there is a load capacity question

265/70/18 are rated at 2756 each and thats 11k for the four. Plenty for the truck and what I will ever tow/carry.
in comparison the 10 ply 275/70/18 are rated at 3527 or 14K. Not necessary. So, the theory that the truck will just wear the tires quickly because its so heavy I dont really agree with.
The tire will flex more, it will in effect add suspension.
Now, if I could find 4 springs....
I would probably put on a set of the Rancho RS9000XLs. Mainly because they are adjustable which will help dial it in. I read a post on here where someone just changed the shocks out and he said it helped the ride.
I think it might but it would be so slight its not worth it. Thuren is very clear on their site that if you change the springs you also have to change the shocks. Not sure i put theres on and since i cant get them on the phone I dont know if its because they are a different length or if they are valved different as the major reason.

also ram- dodge its all Chrysler

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your best bet is to send Don an Email. He is very good at responding to any questions you will have. There is options for other shocks than what they have on the Website. I had all of my questions answered via Email.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
I will try him again

any other options for the springs out there?? If I believed you could have air springs without a leak, I wouldnt mind having a full airbag system with a tank and compressor, rigged up so you could have an air chuck in the rear to air up stuff. And really set up, so I could drop it down for highway travel (not on the ground mind you, just maybe an inch or two all around level) and raise it about 3 inches for offroad clearance.

That and an ARB air locker in the rear and for my needs I wouldnt need 4wd. Well while Im dreaming, maybe a nice 12K winch tucked behind the bumper like the power wagon.
I already have a bit of a unique set up for camping, solar panels on the camper roof and an inverter. I can run LED lights in the cabin, and two bright ones attached to my tarp poles that light up the campsite. Need one more battery to have enough juice to run a small ceramic heater. but it runs an electric blanket, that fan in the picture, and a blender for some drinks:gr_grin:

Attachments

• DSC_6705.jpg
    DSC_6705.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_6706.jpg
    DSC_6706.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_6713.jpg
    DSC_6713.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
since I it seem its easy to post pics, here was the truck with the tires and wheels I am changing out- if the runout on the wheels checks out I like them, just want to go with another tire

Attachments

• DSC_6718.jpg
    DSC_6718.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_6737.jpg
    DSC_6737.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17