Body color bumper or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is that line x on the whole truck? I wanted to do that but didn’t know how much it would cost.

Yup, 4k to color match, 3k for black. Its the Line-X Xtra not Ultra ( cost 10k+ but 2x stronger and thinner).

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, 4k to color match, 3k for black. Its the Line-X Xtra not Ultra ( cost 10k+ but 2x stronger and thinner).
A lot of jeep guys line-x their bodys so they dont have to worry about scratches from trees offroading. Never seen it done on a ram.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A lot of jeep guys line-x their bodys so they dont have to worry about scratches from trees offroading. Never seen it done on a ram.

Love it personally. Especially when the sun is out right after a car wash the truck just shimmers like clean lake water!

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the look of both but I don’t like the durability of plastic. The chrome bumper is much stronger and take a ditch without issue. On the 2019 I think the all black truck looks amazing. Essentially the sport appearance.

aef816c8f8fce66119d8de7b83627003.jpg

New rams look like they dont even have a front bumper. And those headlights...ewwe. What was ram thinking???

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do you plan on offroading a lot?

Not a lot by any means, mainly got it due to the rocks constantly thrown around here and the salt. Every weekend had a sander and touch paint as a weekend hobby hahaha. I do intend on going camping and a little off roading this summer. Although it is nice to know when I brush up against bushes and trees it doesn't do jack heheh. I am a first time Truck owner of now 1 year so still easing into things.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love the look of color matched, but that front bumper takes a beating. My previous pickup had a painted bumper and after 5 years of ownership the front had dozens of paint chips.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have one of the few monotone Longhorns and I love that chrome bumper, especially with the silver.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, I’d just get what you want. I prefer chrome myself. 26076208ccc8b029f689ae269b545473.jpg
Chrome’s a lot easier to take care of and maintain than paint especially on the halfton’s since they are plastic. Rear bumper is painted steel. Sure, a lot of people will just tell you to go ahead and get the painted stuff and then put the clear bra on but even then that’s not impervious to rock chips. You still have plastic with paint on it. I don’t even know how well that holds up anyways but as I said at the beginning of my post, it’s all about what you like. My 2008 has a painted front bumper and I hated it. Not so much because I’m more of a chrome guy but because the paint is trying to peel and it’s not even really solely because og chips. It’s just plain and simply because it’s softer, more flexible plastic that’s been painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the look of color matched, but that front bumper takes a beating. My previous pickup had a painted bumper and after 5 years of ownership the front had dozens of paint chips.

Clear bra and/or ceramic coat it.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, I’d just get what you want. I prefer chrome myself. 26076208ccc8b029f689ae269b545473.jpg
Chrome’s a lot easier to take care of and maintain than paint especially on the halfton’s since they are plastic. Rear bumper is painted steel. Sure, a lot of people will just tell you to go ahead and get the painted stuff and then put the clear bra on but even then that’s not impervious to rock chips. You still have plastic with paint on it. I don’t even know how well that holds up anyways but as I said at the beginning of my post, it’s all about what you like. My 2008 has a painted front bumper and I hated it. Not so much because I’m more of a chrome guy but because the paint is trying to peel and it’s not even really solely because og chips. It’s just plain and simply because it’s softer, more flexible plastic that’s been painted.

You’ll be quite surprise what type of damage a quality clear bra can take. Hell ripped my bumper off my Charger hitting a car and once I peeled back the film... the actually damage was just a minor scratch. I really became a believer after all that.

LongHornDuff49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being a detailer, I can tell you if you drive 55mph plus in moderate traffic you are going to want the chrome, or you will be replacing the plastic bumper every so often (clear bra or not). I do love the look and my 2015 express was paint matched. I am meticulous and very cautious about following distance at highway speeds. However it still has its scars after 75k miles. My 2018 I went with a longhorn in white with chrome bumpers.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was considering getting the clear bra because I have a lot of rockchips. Most of the worst ones have come from oncoming trucks kicking them out the side. In the last week though I've looked at 3 trucks on site that have them and they all have stone chips that got through. The dark colour trucks the film blends well, but the white one I looked at with the bra 18 months old was already pretty yellow. Given the cost I think I'll stick to doing touch ups and if it comes to it repaint the hood and fenders for about the same cost as the film.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Salesman are generally morons so yeah don't listen. I would color them, can get em Line-X too hehe.

View attachment 123046

View attachment 123047
Very true. When I was taking home my Laramie another salesman came up and said "Oh nice, you got the silver package" (which is a Lone Star package), and I told him "no its a Laramie" and he was like "yeah with the silver package". I just nodded and raised my eyebrows and walked away lol.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very true. When I was taking home my Laramie another salesman came up and said "Oh nice, you got the silver package" (which is a Lone Star package), and I told him "no its a Laramie" and he was like "yeah with the silver package". I just nodded and raised my eyebrows and walked away lol.

Yeah before I took ownership of my new truck when I was still trying to figure out what paint colors I wanted between the true blue and the max steel, I had a salesman at a different dealer try to tell me that the air suspension control stuff went were the integrated trailer brake controller goes. I was like no, it goes just to the right of it if it’s so equipped.

They didn’t have a Limted there or even anything else with the air ride so I could show him...lol.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
chrome for me all the way--waxed when I do the paint and are like new after 6 years--and as I am religious about picking stones out of my treads so as to not throw stones out at vehicles behind me --wish everyone else were!!!

Zepp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Personally I think chrome works to contrast. Here’s the 2017 SLT I picked up 2 weeks ago. Clean it looks amazing to me.

View attachment 122855

View attachment 122856
Chrome always goes with white imo, white trucks look more better with chrome than say a red truck, I would color match red, but not white, white is one of a few colors I would leave chrome on imo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990