Catch Can ... no oil usage without it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Let's say I don't have a oil catch can and when I change my oil I don't see any oil used.

7 quarts out ... 7 quarts in

Does that mean I would not get a benefit from a oil catch can?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good question, yes you will see that catch can full regardless. You may not be taking out 7qrts like you think. In fact if the catch isn't full, that would suggest a much bigger problem.

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let's say I don't have a oil catch can and when I change my oil I don't see any oil used.

7 quarts out ... 7 quarts in

Does that mean I would not get a benefit from a oil catch can?

Over the coarse of a 7-8k oil change interval you're only talking catching ounces of "stuff" in the can (cold climate will be more due to condensation). If some of those ounces is water vapor, some is fuel vapor and some is oil, are you really going to notice that little bit of oil missing when you drain it?? Probably not. Is you're intake going to notice it over the coarse of 10's of thousands of miles?? For sure.

I'll admit I never heard of catch cans until I stumbled upon this site. Now that I have 1 and relatively understand it's benefit, and seen first hand the **** it prevents from being reintroduced into the engine, I'm glad I have 1 installed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, you can't have a catch can with a 6.4 that I know of. You should have included that in your post about the 6.4. So you can check yourself, catch cans usually attach where the pcv valve is, but I believe you don't have one right? So you would need to put it in a return line that is acting like a traditional pcv, I don't know that you have that. If there is a line that looks like it is going to the intake you can remove it and see if material is coming through, like drops. Especially if that line is attached to the valve cover. In theory you can attach it there, but I just don't know that is what the 6.4 has. I can't find a diagram for the 6.4 pcv system, if you can that would be helpful.

Last edited:

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6.4... I suppose that would explain 7qts in and 7qts out!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fuel system cleaner dex, fuel system cleaner, same thing:)

Get a PEA one.

Actually gas burns dirty all by itself, so if you had to choose between a PEA fuel cleaner and a catch can, the PEA fuel cleaner (with monthly usage) will keep the combustion chamber cleaner anyhow.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The 6.4L Ram's PCV system is all internal. The ones you see for sale on Amazon, eBay, etc., are for the challengers and chargers with the car version of the 6.4L Hemi. Different animals.

The PCV valve on the Ram 6.4L screws in toward the back of the intake manifold. It is replaceable, but has no outlets. That being said, you 'could' rig up a catch can if you were willing to do some drilling.

I'm undecided as to whether I will keep this truck or not yet. If I do decide to keep it for the long haul, this and many other things are on the list of mods for sure.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:doh2: I've been using mine wrong! All this time I thought you were supposed to EMPTY it
Bwahahahaha. :roflsquared:
Well duh, that's how you get +50hp, by putting octane booster in it....

I knew someone was going to say something as soon as I hit submit but was too lazy to edit it lol

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's your sticker. Sorry it's only 5

Screenshot_20180420-131133.jpg

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
He’s prob serious. Likes to say things like that just to get a rise out of people, also likes to bash kicker. Just ignore and move on.

That being said, I run one and I have to empty it multiple times between oil changes. They have there purpose and can help prevent future issues. Keeping as much out of the chamber besides Air/fuel and spark is a good thing. There’s already oil in there from the rings but too much can cause detonation or foul a plug. It’s the same reason we run air filters on engines to keep **** out of Engine. Even small particulates can cause Accelerated Engine wear.