Do any of you miss your Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I'll let you have the last word after this man. All I'm saying is you exclude yourself from all these points and rules you refer to. Go back and read all your comments. I'm not even referring to anyone else right now. It's like, you can't see someone make a point about the 6.4, in a thread for those who own them I might add, without debunking refuting or arguing. If we apply your rules to everyone, from what I have read you are as guilty as anyone. Sorry you can't see it. If you quit assuming for a minute you have all the answers and realize other people have contributed good points in contradiction to your own, you would see what I'm talking about.

Exclude myself? Was I not on topic of the info that the OP was wanting to know of if there are people that missed their Cummins in my first post? Did I say anything negative about or only pointed out the cons of a 6.4L while neglecting to mention the cons of my own in order to justify my purchase?

Also, as I have said earlier(see post #37 again) that I do not comment on everything. Just those that I see that are either false or construed so I am not sure how you can say that I can't see someone making a point about the 6.4L since I have not commented on many of them.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That's because I'm the only one here dumb enough to want to modify my motor beyond the basic CAI & tune:) I think most HD horsepower nuts are just buying the Cummins for obvious reasons.

Yeah, but a blown 6.4L in a 2500 would be bad ass.

And yes, I mean blown as in forced induction, not throw a rod blown. Although that would be cool(but painful) to watch as well. ;)

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well ****.....now this is getting fun again.

But Viking is right about msot 6.4 guys staying mostly stock or just going Diesel....

I was elbow deep in the modified diesel thing for a long time, when I moved to the 6.4 in a nice fancy ass truck I was looking forward to chucking the dealer the keys if something went wrong and going "freaking fix it Sparky".... and 410/429 at the crank was good enough for starters......

That being said.....the transmission while livable, is enough to make me drink more than I do some days......so that may get me to think about a tune or PC but that is mild as hell. CAI....exhaust....nope, like stuff quiet these days. Having a conversation with my wife while towing was all new to us when we got the Ram.

7.3L pushing 25psi with 4" down tubes to 5" exhaust took an already loud platform to new heights of hearing loss......radio was useless. after 4 hours in that rig I was ready to put in ear plugs lol

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, if only Whipple would get off their butts:( I don't have time these days to re-engineer blower kits.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

But Viking is right about msot 6.4 guys staying mostly stock or just going Diesel....

I was elbow deep in the modified diesel thing for a long time, when I moved to the 6.4 in a nice fancy ass truck I was looking forward to chucking the dealer the keys if something went wrong and going "freaking fix it Sparky".... and 410/429 at the crank was good enough for starters......

That being said.....the transmission while livable, is enough to make me drink more than I do some days......so that may get me to think about a tune or PC but that is mild as hell. CAI....exhaust....nope, like stuff quiet these days. Having a conversation with my wife while towing was all new to us when we got the Ram.

7.3L pushing 25psi with 4" down tubes to 5" exhaust took an already loud platform to new heights of hearing loss......radio was useless. after 4 hours in that rig I was ready to put in ear plugs lol

I think an 8 speed with the 6.4L would make a lot of owners happier, and might have kept the ones I mentioned earlier from jumping back to a Cummins. Hell it would make me happier with my Cummins. Nor sure why Ram didn't mate it to the 6.4L in the first place. I have the smaller variant of the Ram ZF 8 speed in my BMW diesel commuter car and it is an awesome trans.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Story they tell is the parking prawl won't pass the hill incline hold test. But that seems like a relatively easy fix so not really buying it. Trying to get more info out of FCA as to their future plans is about impossible other some vague hints.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I promise you that if you run headers through the stock cat-back it will still be dead quiet. The factory muffler is very effective.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I promise you that if you run headers through the stock cat-back it will still be dead quiet. The factory muffler is very effective.

how is the header install on the 6.4L? I run JBAs on my tundra and you couldn't pay me enough to install them myself again.......through a side dump exhaust coming out in front of the rear wheel......loud AF.......wife's daily.....240K and smells like a horse.....

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine were done on a lift so it really wasn't that bad, or at least not like you're describing with the Tundra. We had to bend the dipstick tube a bit but otherwise it was pretty straightforward. Mine are ARH LT headers, and while definitely expensive the fitment is absolutely spot on.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little more info for the OP. I live in the KCMO area, low elevation. The most I have towed is 10k or so down to AR and back. Wife pulls a 3 horse trailer almost weekly. It tows all that very well. Easily within comfort level in terms of working the drivetrain. It actually reminds me of an old school 7.3 with a ton more horsepower. One thing that I notice for sure is the fuel mileage. A smaller fuel tank makes it seem even worse than it really is in comparison. With all that said and fuel prices right now I'd call it a basic wash. I am getting ready to haul over 10k into Colorado and over a bunch of passes in July. I'm guessing I'm going to hate hate hate it compared to the Cummins then but I'll report back somewhere on that trip. Given the fact it's only once I year I made a conscious decision to live with that. Unless it really really sucks :). Hoping RAM got the elevation and limp mode thing sorted out by now.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you want to know what is or isn't a wash between the fuel prices of your vehicles then you can check on this chart I made for work a long time ago. The left bar is mpg, the top is price per gallon, and the graph shows cost per mile.

Cost per mile 2.PNG

Last edited:

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hi all. first post!
I sold my 06 5.9 manual 83,000 miles for my 18 6.4 auto now have 1,400 miles. I do NOT miss my diesel one bit. ya it does not have the power the diesel did but power is not everything. love my 6.4!

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
I've never driven a 6.4, so I have no reference. I do own a 1500 5.7 though along with my new Cummins 2500. They are so different to drive it amazes me. The 1500 is more like driving a car. It is a single cab and a lot shorter. I drive it faster than I do the Cummins. The Cummins is fun though. It barely seems like it's working when I'm driving it. They are both really good trucks though. My 1500's name is Trigger, the trusty steed. 4 1/2 years and 105,000 miles it hasn't let me down even a single time.

medium800.jpg

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 MPG is the average hand calculated numbers according to Fuelly.com and not the EVIC numbers that tend to be overly optimistic by 2-3 mpg.

2014-2018 Ram 2500 6.4L mpg

Calculated.. it still doesn't get 12mpg.. just saying if we are going to be accurate, why use the absolute bottom end of the numbers? I average 15 mpg calculated, but that's also 60 miles a day purely freeway and maybe 5 to 10 off off that. Still, 12 the truck simply doesn't get 12. It gets about 14 if driven properly and it gets about 20 on the highway.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Calculated.. it still doesn't get 12mpg.. just saying if we are going to be accurate, why use the absolute bottom end of the numbers? I average 15 mpg calculated, but that's also 60 miles a day purely freeway and maybe 5 to 10 off off that. Still, 12 the truck simply doesn't get 12. It gets about 14 if driven properly and it gets about 20 on the highway.

I would also suggest looking up the definition of the word average because it is not the bottom end. If you are able to get above the 6.4L' 12 mpg average with your driving habits then you will most certainly get above the Cummins 15.5 average if you drove that so it would be a wash. In either case, you would be an exception rather than the majority which is why average is used since most people are close to it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2016 with the 6.4. Has close to 17,000 on it. I live in Eastern Kentucky and drove to Gatlinburg last weekend, going down It got 15.5 gpm and coming back It got 16 mpg all hand calculated. I didn’t think that was to bad.

This is real world mileage. About identical to what I get. Those that rely on the 'feel good' reading are just kidding themselves.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of tanks in the 11-12 range, empty, and that's "driven properly".

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
I don’t think anyone bought either of these trucks for good gas mileage.