Driver door switch and plug melted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota9609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently own a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn this is the second of the fourth generation Rams that I have owned I love my truck in this issue will not stop me from owning and enjoying my truck however I just wanted to post this because I wanted to make sure that I could potentially prevent this happening to someone else a few days ago in the morning I had proceeded to get in my truck to go to work when I opened the door of my truck to enter I had immediately smelled a strong odor that smelled like plastic burning I immediately started looking everywhere throughout the truck to attempt to find the culprit however didn't find anything so I got in my truck and proceeded to go to work not long after driving I attempted to roll down the window and found that the windows would not roll down not thinking a whole lot of it at the time I went on to work and later that evening when I got home removed the window switch on the driver door and had found what is pictured in this post which was the switch and plug was melted it was pretty obvious that that's where the burning plastic smell had came from and I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone knows how I could contact the RAM Corporation to make them aware of this issue so that if it's something that they could possibly prevent from happening to someone else hopefully it could be helpful to others if anyone has any information or has experienced this please let me know thanks so much
20230630_003037.jpg

Attachments

• 20230628_004552.jpg
    20230628_004552.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 10

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the switch housing get wet at any time, window open while raining, spilled something on it that could cause a short, was everything in the truck functioning properly?

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently own a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn this is the second of the fourth generation Rams that I have owned I love my truck in this issue will not stop me from owning and enjoying my truck however I just wanted to post this because I wanted to make sure that I could potentially prevent this happening to someone else a few days ago in the morning I had proceeded to get in my truck to go to work when I opened the door of my truck to enter I had immediately smelled a strong odor that smelled like plastic burning I immediately started looking everywhere throughout the truck to attempt to find the culprit however didn't find anything so I got in my truck and proceeded to go to work not long after driving I attempted to roll down the window and found that the windows would not roll down not thinking a whole lot of it at the time I went on to work and later that evening when I got home removed the window switch on the driver door and had found what is pictured in this post which was the switch and plug was melted it was pretty obvious that that's where the burning plastic smell had came from and I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone knows how I could contact the RAM Corporation to make them aware of this issue so that if it's something that they could possibly prevent from happening to someone else hopefully it could be helpful to others if anyone has any information or has experienced this please let me know thanks so much
View attachment 523774

I don’t know how to tell you to report the matter to Ram as a preventative issue.

However, you can report online potential safety defects or issues at to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at: https://www.nhtsa.gov/

There is a box on the upper right hand corner of the home page to report a safety concern.

OP
OP
D

dakota9609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No nothing had gotten wet around it when it rains I'm real particular about making sure to keep my door and dry and of course the switches and that matter but when this is happening it hadn't rained in probably almost 2 weeks prior to this and yes everything else has been functioning properly not had any problems out of anything else other than this

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Please use punctuation when posting. Your posts are difficult to read without it.