EVIC & Uconnect upgrade help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Staggered_0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2017 3500 Cummins tradesman. I am looking to upgrade the EVIC and Uconnect 3 to a premium model EVIC and Uconnect 4.
The truck is a manual and I am wondering if I will have any compatibility issues or if there is anything I need to know before I start moving forward with this project. Thinking about a steering wheel upgrade too, if that would be any good for me. current wheel only controls the small EVIC screen.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2017 3500 Cummins tradesman. I am looking to upgrade the EVIC and Uconnect 3 to a premium model EVIC and Uconnect 4.
The truck is a manual and I am wondering if I will have any compatibility issues or if there is anything I need to know before I start moving forward with this project. Thinking about a steering wheel upgrade too, if that would be any good for me. current wheel only controls the small EVIC screen.
@ManualCummins may be able to help.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I have a 2017 3500 Cummins tradesman. Thinking about a steering wheel upgrade too, if that would be any good for me. current wheel only controls the small EVIC screen.

You can add radio control buttons to your wheel or swap it for a leather, and I've never found anyone who regretted the latter.
Make sure you take steps to disable the airbag or disconnect the battery.
I find drum brake spoons are perfect for popping off the airbag clips and are very cheap.
Most videos and guides will not show the steering wheel damper you'll find on your truck. Only fits one place/one way.
Buying a used leather wheel with the buttons is typicality not much more than just the buttons.
If you get a wheel from a 1500 with shift buttons from an 8 speed you can easily swap \your existing right side buttons to the new wheel.
Lots of parts are needed for heated wheel (including seats), but it will function as a standard wheel if you choose to buy one.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I have a 2017 3500 Cummins tradesman. I am looking to upgrade the EVIC ...the truck is a manual

Based on what I've read Manual vs auto and 4x4 vs 4x2 are not a concern. The PRND at the bottom just do not show up with no action needed.

7" EVIC will have year limitation, so a forum search if warranted if your not getting another '17.

If buying used yards often mislabel EVICs, so verify with pics it is the 7" screen you want, has the DEF, and is in Mph.

AlphaODB can program mileage and hours, or there are a few low cost mail in services.

I seem to recall if you get a cluster from a 1500 you may have to use AlphaODB to adjust TPMS settings, but a very quick search didn't find any info to confirm it's an issue.

OP
OP
S

Staggered_0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Lots of good information from you all. I appreciate your input. I dont know how soon I plan on doing these mods, but the more info I have the better!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of good information from you all. I appreciate your input. I dont know how soon I plan on doing these mods, but the more info I have the better!
Contact M2mods in the vendor section of the forum. He makes the full conversion harness to upgrade your truck the the 8.4 radio with the correct 8.4 bezel that will even upgrade your fan to to 7 speeds just like the factory version. You can even add ATC (auto temp control) if you want. It's a much nicer upgrade when you add the correct 8.4 bezel. I also recommend adding the leather wheel with audio controls as well. Do your research before you purchase your radio. If you ever plan on installing a Cargo Cam in the future you're going to want a 16 to 17 radio. Make sure it'sa VP3 NA if you don't want Nav and a VP4 NA if you do want Nav. The VP4 also has more features like HD radio Travelink and real time traffic. As far as the new 7" EVIC goes it should be a plug and start. Make sure you get one from a 2500/3500 diesel and not the 1500 if you want it to have the correct red line for RPM's on the tach and make sure it's and MPH speedometer as mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk