How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
This is what the second genie changed it to. Auto button is not selectable and if you move the slider it takes it off max AC and AC turns off. Still no temp. Notice the outside air temp? This is why I want them to get it right!!!

I also noticed that if you switch from climate to radio and back it resets the A/C. That is why I'm leaving in manual dual-zone until they get it fixed.

and 104? but it is a dry heat, right? :roflsquared:

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It definitely sucks the most for the guys under warranty that have to go to the dealer and ask for a reflash and possibly have to explain why.

So, with the AE tool, is there any hope to making this cleaner?

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No such thing as dry heat in Missouri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used my AE tool to do mine. Followed DeereGuy's instructions exactly and it works perfect. I did lose the branding in the BCM like they said, but I havent noticed any ill effects from that, so I'm happy. The loss of branding does take away the theme options in the radio which has also been noted on here, but the current theme setting remains in tact, so it's only a problem if you like to change things up now and then. But even that supposedly can be fixed by resetting the brand in the media control module. I haven't worried with doing that yet. Oh, and the radio splash screen on startup says uconnect instead of Ram, but I think that may also be fixed by resetting the media control module, not sure though.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used my AE tool to do mine. Followed DeereGuy's instructions exactly and it works perfect. I did lose the branding in the BCM like they said, but I havent noticed any ill effects from that, so I'm happy. The loss of branding does take away the theme options in the radio which has also been noted on here, but the current theme setting remains in tact, so it's only a problem if you like to change things up now and then. But even that supposedly can be fixed by resetting the brand in the media control module. I haven't worried with doing that yet. Oh, and the radio splash screen on startup says uconnect instead of Ram, but I think that may also be fixed by resetting the media control module, not sure though.

Are you able to reset the media control module with the AE tool? Is this something that a dealer can see? Is it noticeable?

Thanks

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you able to reset the media control module with the AE tool? Is this something that a dealer can see? Is it noticeable?

Thanks

I believe it's been stated you can reset it with the AE tool, but like I said I havent done it yet, because the branding issue isn't bothering me. No idea if a dealer can see it or not. What do you mean by "is it noticeable"?

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meaning, if the dealer hooks the truck up to their computer, does it scream out "I messed with this"!!

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got ya. Not sure, but I would think it would be something they would have to look for. Maybe one of the other guys that have had to have their BCM reset do to playing around with the AE tool can comment.

CDN WS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what's the consensus here? I have one of deereguy's harnesses and had purchased the obdgenie on the 21st of June. I haven't installed this yet but do I give it a whirl and see if it works in my truck? Mine is the factory 8.4 that didn't have NAV activated from the factory. Has anyone had success with the obdgenie?

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
So what's the consensus here? I have one of deereguy's harnesses and had purchased the obdgenie on the 21st of June. I haven't installed this yet but do I give it a whirl and see if it works in my truck? Mine is the factory 8.4 that didn't have NAV activated from the factory. Has anyone had success with the obdgenie?
no one has reported a successful installation of the Genie. I'd wait if I were you.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Meaning, if the dealer hooks the truck up to their computer, does it scream out "I messed with this"!!

A dealer does not know to look for bad codes or issues. If there is an issue they are instructed to update the module. If they really wanted to they can dig in but they again wouldnt know where to start as almost every tech is only taught to flash new software/firmware not to dig in to see what options are active.

A PCM flash from a programmer is a different animal because they have bigger warranty issues whcn flashed.

Everything is time stamped and could be seen, but on almost no circumstance do they look for these issues on interior options.

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

If I had to weigh in I would say don't use the genie. Being totally honest I really don't like paying 200 dollars and having the real possibility of being someone's test subject to see if it works on a brand new 2017 truck. Now looking at having to go to the dealer and shell out even more money. The is the response I got back. "I am looking into this now. I am sorry this is still in trial period. I will get back to you in couple hours." You be the judge, but I'm NOT the only one having issues with the genie. I hope the make it right very quickly.

@infotainment

CDN WS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I had to weigh in I would say don't use the genie. Being totally honest I really don't like paying 200 dollars and having the real possibility of being someone's test subject to see if it works on a brand new 2017 truck. Now looking at having to go to the dealer and shell out even more money. The is the response I got back. "I am looking into this now. I am sorry this is still in trial period. I will get back to you in couple hours." You be the judge, but I'm NOT the only one having issues with the genie. I hope the make it right very quickly.

@infotainment

Appreciate the input. I'm going to contact them to return it as I haven't used it and don't want the risk of messing up my brand new truck. Their site says it WORKS so there shouldn't be any trial or testing still going on. Thanks

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Their site says it WORKS so there shouldn't be any trial or testing still going on.

This is my thought too. For all the guys that have had to "test" this product for them, they should get at least a partial refund, if not a full refund. Especially given the amount of time they have been dealing with it, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
This is my thought too. For all the guys that have had to "test" this product for them, they should get at least a partial refund, if not a full refund. Especially given the amount of time they have been dealing with it, but I'm sure that won't happen.

perhaps not.

Q: What type of warranty will I receive with your product?
A: We've got your back. We offer a full one year money-back warranty on all of our products. In the rare event you have an issue please contact us for support.
if anyone returns it, let us know if they honor the warranty.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Partial? Screw that, you should get every damn penny back. The guys that have to go back to the dealer for a reflash is even more reason to get it all back.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A dealer does not know to look for bad codes or issues. If there is an issue they are instructed to update the module. If they really wanted to they can dig in but they again wouldnt know where to start as almost every tech is only taught to flash new software/firmware not to dig in to see what options are active.

A PCM flash from a programmer is a different animal because they have bigger warranty issues whcn flashed.

Everything is time stamped and could be seen, but on almost no circumstance do they look for these issues on interior options.

Good info, thanks.