Is this true or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Understanding an automatic takes time. Rebuilding one, more time. Understanding a manual is easy, rebuilding one is nearly impossible. There's 200 snap rings, 50 bearings, 10 million shims and spacers, and a bunch of gears and synchros. Every piece has to be checked for lash and bearing clearance. Get one shim wrong and you lose a gear within the first 1,000 miles. Get one bearing clearance wrong and you junk the trans.

I'll stick with autos lol.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This post is the exact reason I prefer a stick shift over an automatic.:headbang:

Exact reason when I go to get my SRT Challenger (might be next year!), unless I get a really good deal on an auto, I'll be looking for a stick.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Understanding an automatic takes time. Rebuilding one, more time. Understanding a manual is easy, rebuilding one is nearly impossible. There's 200 snap rings, 50 bearings, 10 million shims and spacers, and a bunch of gears and synchros. Every piece has to be checked for lash and bearing clearance. Get one shim wrong and you lose a gear within the first 1,000 miles. Get one bearing clearance wrong and you junk the trans.

I'll stick with autos lol.

You forgot hat most Standard Trannies are damn near bullet proof and last almost 3 to 4 times as long as an automatic.

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:sorry: No truth in that one at all. Reverse is used so seldom the damage it does to a tranny would be extremely minimal unles you try to drag race in reverse or just drop your vehicle straight from drive to reverse (which is damn near impossible to do to modern trannies).

I was told by a tranny guy that the pressure in reverse is quite a bit higher than in forward. Therefore up here in Manitoba or where ever it's gets exceptionally cold. It is wise to start off moving forward if you want to do what's best for your tranny.
And also, why is it then when a transmission is starting to fail you always notice it in reverse first?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told by a tranny guy that the pressure in reverse is quite a bit higher than in forward. Therefore up here in Manitoba or where ever it's gets exceptionally cold. It is wise to start off moving forward if you want to do what's best for your tranny.
And also, why is it then when a transmission is starting to fail you always notice it in reverse first?

Reverse is a direct link from the engine to the output shaft that is why. When you stick an auto tranny in reverse it locks all the gears up completely allowing the transmission to operate in reverse.:mario:

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So are saying that is why you notice reverse before the other gears 1st when a tranny has 1 foot in the grave or are you saying that's why it's best to roll forward 1st to be nice to the tranny in sub zero temps or both?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is the reason that you will notice reverse failing first. Truthfully with the way an auto tranny works you just have to stick it in gear and go. Not sure on the pressure but it should be the same no matter which way the tranny is going. The pressure is regulated by the pump and the valve pack. Everything is controlled by those 2 things and the pump will only put out so much pressure. Ill look into that one a bit more to be sure though.

Found this interesting bit of reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission