Maxtrac or CST Suspension lift for 2WD any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really want to increase the front suspension travel in my 2WD 2010 1500 with the 5.7. For now, it's got 3" lift spindles in the front and Icon 1.5" rear lift springs, and there is too much rake in the rear for my liking. I could easily go with the 4.5" spindles, which I may do, but I'd rather get more suspension travel with some lift springs. Maxtrac and CST seem to be the only ones making such an option, so does anyone have info on either of their front lift coil springs? Maxtrac's lift is 2.5" and CST has a 3", but the CST seems to be more just to level the truck, not to offer better offroad performance.

I plan to offroad this truck, hence why I want more suspension lift, but can't afford Kore's Ram Runner kit. Any other viable options to gain desert-orientated offroad performance at an affordable price would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my truck as it sits now.

IMG_0218_zpskfic3l28.jpg

IMG_0217_zpslkovhilk.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I've seen good post on here about MaxTrac, I've considered that is I do 35's myself.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
I have so much good things to say about maxtrac. I've had the lift on for a year now, 20,000 miles and no issues its great! I have the 4.5 inch system

image.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have so much good things to say about maxtrac. I've had the lift on for a year now, 20,000 miles and no issues its great! I have the 4.5 inch system

Your truck is sick, have BIGGER pics, 4x4 or 4x2?

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks good man. Some red lettered General Grabbers would look awesome on it.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great looking truck man! It's hard to believe its been lifted, your front end looks so low. What type off offroad driving are we talking here? Desert? Higher speed dirt/ gravel road stuff? It looks like that may be the case. I have crew cab springs in my 2wd regular cab with Maxtrac shocks and it sort of made my truck level. I haven't taken it down any dirt roads or anything yet so I can't really comment on how it does. However I think us 2wd guys are screwed unless we want to fork over some serious coin for the Kore or Pure Performance kits. Even the Maxtrac 7" lifts say they don't provide any more travel than stock. Good luck and keep us 2wd guys updated on your progress. BTW are those Level 8 wheels?

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I read 2wd... Then later it was something about off roading it?

IMO

Please see exhibit A:
ranger-long-travel-main.jpg

If you notice, this next image doesn't have any crawling, muddin', rock climbing, etc.
offroad_shoot_1_original.jpg

You don't need 4wd to offroad my friend. Though I understand the need for it in certain situations. A lot of guys in the baha/ desert racing scene don't have or need 4wd. I'm fairly certain this gentleman wants a better suspension to jump his truck and be able to hit bumps and desert terrain at highway speeds. Just my 2 pennies.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just noticed his name. That explains everything. Look I've been living among these guys for about a year now. I can 99.9% guarantee you that he is attempting to take his truck "off road" in the dunes, probably the famous "glamis" area. And he will try to hang and end up getting pulled out of sand every time he goes out. Even sand rails and 4x4s get stuck. It's no place for a 2wd lol. Just takes away from everyone else's good time because they're obligated to risk breaking sht on their trucks, pulling him out. Not to mention, probably doesn't even supply his own recovery straps.

When someone out here says "off road" its rock crawling or sand dunes.

It's just for looks and dirt driveways.

By all means, he can do what he wants with his truck...visually...but... "Sigh"

Lets see some pics or video..and I'll apologize to him personally :)

And statcher1 was correct in saying he needs general grabbers with red letters... Because you're not cool in socal if you don't have those and a green monster sticker on every window.

Nothing personal Sandiego74.. I'm sure you're a great guy, just trying to make the best of what you have.

IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks good man. Some red lettered General Grabbers would look awesome on it.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Thank you. I originally wanted the General Grabbers, but they aren't ideal for how much street driving I do since the truck is my daily.

Great looking truck man! It's hard to believe its been lifted, your front end looks so low. What type off offroad driving are we talking here? Desert? Higher speed dirt/ gravel road stuff? It looks like that may be the case. I have crew cab springs in my 2wd regular cab with Maxtrac shocks and it sort of made my truck level. I haven't taken it down any dirt roads or anything yet so I can't really comment on how it does. However I think us 2wd guys are screwed unless we want to fork over some serious coin for the Kore or Pure Performance kits. Even the Maxtrac 7" lifts say they don't provide any more travel than stock. Good luck and keep us 2wd guys updated on your progress. BTW are those Level 8 wheels?

Thank you, and I agree, the front doesn't look lifted at all. I was disappointed when I dropped the front end on the ground after installing the spindles and seeing how little they actually lifted it. If I find a way to get a good, actual gain in suspension travel, I will let you know!

And yes, they are Level 8 wheels. They are very cheap on DisctountTireDirect's page on Ebay. I think I paid $420 for all 4?

Please see exhibit A:
ranger-long-travel-main.jpg

If you notice, this next image doesn't have any crawling, muddin', rock climbing, etc.
offroad_shoot_1_original.jpg

You don't need 4wd to offroad my friend. Though I understand the need for it in certain situations. A lot of guys in the baha/ desert racing scene don't have or need 4wd. I'm fairly certain this gentleman wants a better suspension to jump his truck and be able to hit bumps and desert terrain at highway speeds. Just my 2 pennies.

I'm glad someone actually knows what they're talking about. I've done tons of offroading, even when my truck was lowered, and have never been stuck. I've been close, but still make it out. Granted, I'm not running through lakes of mud, but like you said, I'm into the high speed, Baja-style offroading in the dirt. I don't understand why people hammer 2WD trucks that go offroading. Like you said, most of the cars entering in the Baja 500/1000 are 2WD.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just noticed his name. That explains everything. Look I've been living among these guys for about a year now. I can 99.9% guarantee you that he is attempting to take his truck "off road" in the dunes, probably the famous "glamis" area. And he will try to hang and end up getting pulled out of sand every time he goes out. Even sand rails and 4x4s get stuck. It's no place for a 2wd lol. Just takes away from everyone else's good time because they're obligated to risk breaking sht on their trucks, pulling him out. Not to mention, probably doesn't even supply his own recovery straps.

When someone out here says "off road" its rock crawling or sand dunes.

It's just for looks and dirt driveways.

By all means, he can do what he wants with his truck...visually...but... "Sigh"

Lets see some pics or video..and I'll apologize to him personally :)

And statcher1 was correct in saying he needs general grabbers with red letters... Because you're not cool in socal if you don't have those and a green monster sticker on every window.

Nothing personal Sandiego74.. I'm sure you're a great guy, just trying to make the best of what you have.

IMO

I get it, no worries. There are plenty of people like that around here. I would like to go to Glamis, but I DO know that I would get stuck. I stick to the harder pack sand where it is a lot less likely to happen. I haven't done anything too serious offroad, but it's only because of my basically stock suspension. If I were after looks, I would've just gone with some spacers and had been done with it. That's why I'm after a suspension lift, so I can actually get more travel and performance out of it.

In fact, the reason I have the prerunner-style bumper is because I smashed the stock one into a ditch out in Ocotillo. That was when I decided I wanted to lift it and make it more functional for what I like doing. Unfortunately, Photobucket is down right now, so I can't upload anything. As soon as it does, I'll upload some stuff.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it seems I'll be venturing into uncharted territory since no one has really used the lift springs for offroad use. I wish another company, like Icon, would make a cheap, but good, alternative coilover setup to Kore's kit. Kore's is nice, but way overpriced.

CST told me that the problem arises when trying to find a shock to use with the suspension lift, since Dodge designed the shock to limit the travel of the suspension. Too long of a shock, and the upper control arm will bang against the frame, and too short will, obviously, limit the travel.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So it seems I'll be venturing into uncharted territory since no one has really used the lift springs for offroad use. I wish another company, like Icon, would make a cheap, but good, alternative coilover setup to Kore's kit. Kore's is nice, but way overpriced.

CST told me that the problem arises when trying to find a shock to use with the suspension lift, since Dodge designed the shock to limit the travel of the suspension. Too long of a shock, and the upper control arm will bang against the frame, and too short will, obviously, limit the travel.

For what it sounds like you're trying to do.. I don't think you should shortcut on price and quality. But if the kore kit isn't necessary, and all you "really" need is some height.. Then save your $$.

Maybe first invest in some bubba rope, and tow hooks. And a spare $20 bill for a tip. Onboard air compressor would be smart as well. As a 2wd you should be more prepared than anyone. I lived that life once, many years ago. It lasted about 4 months. Never again.

IMO

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it sounds like you're trying to do.. I don't think you should shortcut on price and quality. But if the kore kit isn't necessary, and all you "really" need is some height.. Then save your $$.

Maybe first invest in some bubba rope, and tow hooks. And a spare $20 bill for a tip. Onboard air compressor would be smart as well. As a 2wd you should be more prepared than anyone. I lived that life once, many years ago. It lasted about 4 months. Never again.

IMO

I agree. You get what you pay for. I have a '74 Camaro I went the protouring route with, and that world has tons of aftermarket options for what you want, at all sorts of prices. I guess I was expecting the same for this truck.

I definitely need to get that stuff. I was looking at some air compressors online a few weeks ago. Any advice on on which ones to get, or at least which ones to stay away from?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don't need anything spectacular.. Just something portable will work just fine, just not as fast. Any compressor rated for full size trucks that can get you back up to a safe psi.

Recovery straps and something to hook to, front and back are a must. That can get expensive. You can get the cheaper ones, but I would have 2 or 3 just incase. 30-40k rating. NOT "tow" straps. No metal hooks on the ends.

IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For tow hooks, I'm assuming welding them on is far stronger than bolting them?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Last edited: