Maxtrac or CST Suspension lift for 2WD any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These have been out for quite some time and my theory is, how much "performance" can you really gain when your suspension travel is only 1"-4"?

I forgot stock shock measurements, but these are a tad longer and will allow coil bucket contact also.

Not saying you're wrong but this is in theory until someone actually tries them out or CST can confirm one way or another.

This is what I just sent them.

Hi. I'd like more information on your dirt series 2.0 shocks for the front of 2wd Ram 1500's. Running longer shocks on 2wd Ram 1500's causes the coil bucket and upper control arm to hit. If I run these with a taller spring or spacer, will they cause coil bucket contact with the control arm? If not, how have you guys achieved that? Are these adjustable in any way? Are these a monotube design? Thank you, I look forward to your answers.

We'll see what they have to say.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what they sent back.

The goal of this shock is to provide better control of the limited amount of suspension travel these Ram trucks are hampered with after a lift kit and larger than stock tires have been installed. The CST shock is not that much longer than a factory front shock is. Yes, it's a little longer and does increase the rebound suspension travel but not enough to allow the factory upper control arm to make contact with the coil bucket. It's also short enough that it prevents tie rod end binding issues. CST designed this shock with different valving to better control the mass of a larger and heavier tire. That was the focus, improved handling while not causing additional issues.

These particular CST Dirt Series shocks are an emulsion shock. They are a race style shock that can be totally rebuilt and revalved. Mono-Tube? Sort of. They are a single tube design but they aren't a sealed shock like the Bilstein 5100 series is. These shocks are NOT externally adjustable. The only way to "tune" the shock would require complete disassembly of the shock and then you could change the valving via the shim stack or by modifying the piston. That's beyond what 99% of our customers are willing to do with their shocks as they lack the tools and know-how to do this properly. CST does offer external adjustability as an option on their reservoir shocks but unfortunately it is not feasible to install a reservoir shock on the front of the Ram because the shock is housed inside the coil spring and there is no easy way to route the reservoir house.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't trust a single thing I hear from CST, they have fed me SO many lies over the years when I was searching for certain products. Every time I catch them in a lie they decide not to answer my e-mails.

I don't do business with companies like this.

Maybe they provide a good product, and then maybe they don't. But just from my personal experience with just customer service, I wouldn't trust their products for what they say they are.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

We need more info on this truck. Pictures, story, build thread, something!

I don't trust a single thing I hear from CST, they have fed me SO many lies over the years when I was searching for certain products. Every time I catch them in a lie they decide not to answer my e-mails.

I don't do business with companies like this.

Maybe they provide a good product, and then maybe they don't. But just from my personal experience with just customer service, I wouldn't trust their products for what they say they are.

I hear you man. Based off the thing they told Sandiego, I'm not sure if I can trust them either. I don't know how they claim no coil bucket contact. I won't be spending $400 to find out either.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
We just did two company trucks with CST lifts products, a 2012 Silverado and a 2500 megacab, all worked perfectly.
Now I need to convince the install team to try Maxtrac :D

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
We need more info on this truck. Pictures, story, build thread, something!

I hear you man. Based off the thing they told Sandiego, I'm not sure if I can trust them either. I don't know how they claim no coil bucket contact. I won't be spending $400 to find out either.

It was done in 2008 and it was a 2006 Ram 1500 2wd. We did a 4" CST spindle, the custom king/shock hoop set up, 17" wheels and 33" tires. That was it very simple the customer just wanted to be able to run a king resi

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sick setup! It really doesn't look that difficult. Of course it requires balls to cut into your frame like that haha.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys looking at 7" max trying to decide wheater to get kit with max shocks or bilstein looking for experiences . I have a 14 2wd .

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys looking at 7" max trying to decide wheater to get kit with max shocks or bilstein looking for experiences . I have a 14 2wd .

Well I have the Maxtrac shocks currently but have Bilstein's on the way. The Maxtrac's are good for the money but a monotube Bilstein is a definite step up in my opinion.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's on Update on my Maxtrac spindle and rear 1.5" lift springs with Fox 2.0 shocks combo:

Suspension has held up great, though still too stiff for what I like. I actually broke my Spohn adjustable track bar before anything else. I've decided that I'm just going to keep it this way until I can pay for Dirt King's long-travel kit.

Both my Ram and my buddies Silverado have Maxtrac lifts.

IMG_2609.jpg

It definitely has better travel now than when I first bought it.

DSCN0656.JPG