Maxtrac or CST Suspension lift for 2WD any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol I meant you going in the rocks and mud from the video you posted with your new setup. Though I'm sure you'd get a kick out of doing what he does too. I'm very jealous of the landscape you guys live in.

Yea I know what you meant ;) I'm not lifting my truck and putting off road tires on it for looks lol.

I was referring to him spinning his wheels on the pavement. Made me cringe thinking about doing that with my tires.

IMO

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sleeptrain Amphitheater is down in Chula Vista off of the 805. Anyway, if you want a great spot to go offroading, for both 2WD and 4WD, there is a small parking lot just a couple hundred feet south of the Amphitheater off of the main road, and at the back of the parking lot is an opened gate leading to a dirt road. Follow that road and you'll see what I mean. There is a spot not too far down where someone created a "circle" track, and it's great fun to slide around on, especially in the mud. Further down, there's a ton a trails to explore and hills to climb. Check it out on Google Maps.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a blast! I did chew up the tires pretty good, but oh well. There were a few places I wanted to jump it, but not with the stock front suspension.

AustinB, where in San Diego are you? Do you know where Sleeptrain Amphitheater is?

Just went on CST's site. Looks like they have good stuff. Did the guy at CST mention using stock or CST spindles? This is the reason I ask.

0104161554a_zpsga5iecdx.jpg

If you look at my picture(its a difficult angle) you'll see that there isn't much room between the coil bucket and the upper control arm. If I hit that same trail you hit in my truck I probably would have heard them hit a few times. I think you may not have this problem because you have longer spindles so your upper control arm should be higher than mine. I think aftermarket upper control arms probably help but I'm fairly sure it doesn't completely clear the coil bucket. On CST's site it says stock shocks must be used with their lift springs. Since I'm guessing it limits the up travel of the suspension and it won't make contact with the coil bucket. I'm just very curious of what that guy is running and if its really just springs, shocks, and UCA's. If it is just that then maybe those UCA's do more than I thought.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lots of truck trails and light wheel all over the county.
https://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=11929

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Ive checked out that site before.. But the locals know the secret spots..learned that when I was mountain biking out here.. Not everything is on there.

If you notice.. The place he's referring to isn't showing on that map.

I will be going to borrego with a couple coworkers that have been here for a good while. One has a 3500 with 8" lift and some 38s .. The scary part about those sites are the difficulty rating. Without actually seeing the terrain or actual open routs, etc.. Could end up being a long drive to somewhere only a jeep can go.

IMO

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive checked out that site before.. But the locals know the secret spots..learned that when I was mountain biking out here.. Not everything is on there.

If you notice.. The place he's referring to isn't showing on that map.

I will be going to borrego with a couple coworkers that have been here for a good while. One has a 3500 with 8" lift and some 38s .. The scary part about those sites are the difficulty rating. Without actually seeing the terrain or actual open routs, etc.. Could end up being a long drive to somewhere only a jeep can go.

IMO
Couldnt agree more. But most areas ive seen anywhere close to a place like the amphitheater is privet property. I could always be wrong though.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a good time.. Should I be watching for the police or is it ok to go out there?

IMO

In all honestly, I don't really know. There is a gate, but there are no signs anywhere, and I've never had trouble. There are signs, however, farther down by the prison and jail.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just went on CST's site. Looks like they have good stuff. Did the guy at CST mention using stock or CST spindles? This is the reason I ask.

0104161554a_zpsga5iecdx.jpg

If you look at my picture(its a difficult angle) you'll see that there isn't much room between the coil bucket and the upper control arm. If I hit that same trail you hit in my truck I probably would have heard them hit a few times. I think you may not have this problem because you have longer spindles so your upper control arm should be higher than mine. I think aftermarket upper control arms probably help but I'm fairly sure it doesn't completely clear the coil bucket. On CST's site it says stock shocks must be used with their lift springs. Since I'm guessing it limits the up travel of the suspension and it won't make contact with the coil bucket. I'm just very curious of what that guy is running and if its really just springs, shocks, and UCA's. If it is just that then maybe those UCA's do more than I thought.

You're right, he did say he has the 4.5" spindles. Sorry about that. I've got the 3" spindles for 3rd Gens and I'm not hitting the upper control arm.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, man, go check it out!

Also, just something else that is somewhat local that isn't on that sight is Otay Mt Truck Trail, which is also in Chula Vista. If you haven't done it yet, do it! Not much for offroad fun, as a FWD Camry could make it to the top, but the views are spectacular!

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Johnson valley ohv. About 2-3 hours north. Anyone been up there. They way i understand it, it has fast areas and hone of the hammers.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Johnson valley ohv. About 2-3 hours north. Anyone been up there. They way i understand it, it has fast areas and hone of the hammers.

I've heard of Hungry Valley Offroad Recreation Area, which is north of LA in the Grapevine area. Never been there, but it looks amazing.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, man, go check it out!

Also, just something else that is somewhat local that isn't on that sight is Otay Mt Truck Trail, which is also in Chula Vista. If you haven't done it yet, do it! Not much for offroad fun, as a FWD Camry could make it to the top, but the views are spectacular!

I watched a youtube video of that before.. I got a kick out of it. There was one mudhole and they just keep driving through it over and over like it was something spectacular... Then the 2wd Titan (I think) got stuck in the puddle lol. I will find it and put it here.

Good for a laugh. (00:55) pure amateurs.

http://youtu.be/S0RehbO7lds
IMO

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're right, he did say he has the 4.5" spindles. Sorry about that. I've got the 3" spindles for 3rd Gens and I'm not hitting the upper control arm.

Damn! His truck must be tall! Well thanks for letting me know. I don't want anymore lift on my truck so I definitely can't do spindles lol. May just get some better upper control arms and better shocks and be done with it.

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For sure. But check out johnson valley. Everything i hear its rad. Or there is always parker arizona about 4 hours away. But talk about flat out open and fast.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watched a youtube video of that before.. I got a kick out of it. There was one mudhole and they just keep driving through it over and over like it was something spectacular... Then the 2wd Titan (I think) got stuck in the puddle lol. I will find it and put it here.

Good for a laugh. (00:55) pure amateurs.

http://youtu.be/S0RehbO7lds
IMO

Haha yeah, people need to know their truck's limitations.

Damn! His truck must be tall! Well thanks for letting me know. I don't want anymore lift on my truck so I definitely can't do spindles lol. May just get some better upper control arms and better shocks and be done with it.

I know! I honestly don't want to lift mine more either because it is still my daily driver and I don't want to kill my MPG's any more than I already have, plus I still want to be able to fit into places like parking garages and such.

For sure. But check out johnson valley. Everything i hear its rad. Or there is always parker arizona about 4 hours away. But talk about flat out open and fast.

I definitely will next time I'm up there. It does look pretty sweet!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Parking garages lol... There are definitely a few places out here that I can't goto anymore. Which is fine with me :)

I was 1" away from destroying my truck in one, in la jolla, stock height.
Had to back out.

IMO

Last edited: