My 1976 project thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i have topped up my engine with atf before and it still runs good for the most part. i have also used 75w90 in the power steering system when i was running on empty. still steers the same.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Good stuff, good stuff.
Last time I changed the oil it took 6qts, so I guess I'll buy a jug then a qt of ATF.

Dieselholic92

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984, 2001
Engine
360, 5.9 Cummins
I wouldn't be putting ATF in your engine. Back in the 50s you could do that just fine, but modern ATFs have friction modifiers in them. That is why manufacturers don't recommend ATF for power steering systems anymore. Now the recommend a dedicated PS fluid.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think all that is is money grab. power steering fluid is about twice as expensive as atf. i would actually be more worried about running that new power steering fluid in these old trucks than the atf. my truck seems just happy with the 15w40 that is currently in the power steering system.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
i think all that is is money grab. power steering fluid is about twice as expensive as atf. i would actually be more worried about running that new power steering fluid in these old trucks than the atf. my truck seems just happy with the 15w40 that is currently in the power steering system.

My steering box seal on the '73 went out and it keeps leaking like crazy. I put some 15-40 in it and some pretty thick gear grease. Isn't leaking quite as bad now.
If y'all think atf is fine in the crank case I'm gonna do it also. Dad said it would be good for it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I wouldn't be putting ATF in your engine. Back in the 50s you could do that just fine, but modern ATFs have friction modifiers in them. That is why manufacturers don't recommend ATF for power steering systems anymore. Now the recommend a dedicated PS fluid.

I dunno about that. ATF4 has been specified for use in Chrysler steering boxes for a number of years now. Besides, how many people have used ATF flushes in their engines? And how many have had issues? The only issues I've heard of result in LEAKS. That's it.

And was there even such a thing as ATF back in the 50s? I kinda doubt that. lol

dozer556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L V6
Just to clarify my earlier post regarding using ATF in an oil change...

I first heard about this trick years and years being used to free a sticky lifter, or quiet a noisy one. My dad used to use ATF in an oil change once or twice a year, run the car around in normal driving for two days, and then change it out.

As for me, I'm lazy. As previously stated, I leave the ATF in the crankcase for the 3-5K miles between changes, and I add 1 qt of ATF with every other change. I use the cheapest, non-synthetic ATF I can get my hands on. Also, I don't use synthetic oils or blends, just straight up dino oil. Will it work with synthetics? Don't know.

I've been doing this for at least 20 years on 6 or so different vehicles. I've never had a problem. One is a truck that I've used as a daily driver for over 8 years. The rig had 155k on it when I bought it, now it's almost to 248k. Nothing has blown up on it yet.

Dieselholic92

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984, 2001
Engine
360, 5.9 Cummins
I dunno about that. ATF4 has been specified for use in Chrysler steering boxes for a number of years now. Besides, how many people have used ATF flushes in their engines? And how many have had issues? The only issues I've heard of result in LEAKS. That's it.

And was there even such a thing as ATF back in the 50s? I kinda doubt that. lol

Yes there was such a thing as ATF in the 50s, and it was much different back then than it is now. I've never heard of anyone using ATF to flush an engine. With modern engine oils, you shouldn't have to worry about sludge build up granted that you change oil when you need to. If ATF was intended to be run in an engine, then it would be called engine oil.

But it's your truck. I wouldn't run it in any of my stuff.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I will keep all of this in mind, however I have never read of anyone having any issues with an ATF flush. Besides, the MOST I will be running it is MAYBE 50mi. If that at all.

Then it's getting dumped and I'm going to 15W40 Rotella.

quadcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I have ran motors on nothing but atf with good results. Fill it up, ran it for 10 mins, then drained it. It will clean a sludgy motor right up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
my trucks has filled the engine up with enough gas that i swear i could hear the pistons slapping the gas/oil that was in the engine when it was running. engine still runs great and had great compression for a old engine. didn't see a cylinder under 150 dry and saw a couple at about 170 with little to no change when i did a wet test.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've looked at the rocker arms through the oil fill and can see some light sludge junk on them and am thinking that the same stuff is in the lifter valley and oil pan.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, like that, only with oil covering it. lol

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
lol. i almost need to pull my valve cover this summer to see what my rockers look like. i am hoping they will be cleaner even tho it don't really matter. i got newer heads and cleaner rockers sitting in the basement that are just waiting to go on with the cam. no crud build up on the newer heads/rockers.
20131115_211226.jpg

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That's why I'm wanting to do the flush. Don't want that **** sitting in there. Besides, I'd like to run this engine for a while before a rebuild.

Because we all know what a rebuild on an old truck means....:evillol: :signs6:

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Exactly. Besides, a clean engine usually runs quieter, smoother and more efficiently.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
hard to say but i would be happier with a engine that was as clean inside as it was outside. i know my engine has come a long way since i got it.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This engine came a long way once I replaced the oil and filter.

Hell, it got better when I cleaned the breather in degreaser. :uhoh2: