New Front Brakes installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got around to installing my brakes.
For those that were following along before, I ended up keeping the Summit crossdrilled/vented rotors I bought instead of returning them to get the EBC units instead.

So I installed the Powerstop rebuilt calipers and Summit Rotors and Ceramic pads from AutoZone. Decided to go the cheaper route for now to see if I'm happy with it and if they hold up and the rotors don't fail. Later I will probably upgrade to a big brake kit as the trucks HP levels evolve.

So far I'm happy with the braking, can definitely feel a difference in braking, I haven't pushed them too hard yet though. Bedded them in and taking it moderately easy on them for a bit.

Its hard to compare to stock with my particular truck cause I found the problem to my poor braking and shutter under moderate to hard braking, I didn't take a pic of them but both calipers had cracked pistons on them. When my buddy took apart the drivers side he freaked out cause the piston came out in parts. I have a feeling at some point in the trucks life, it got a brake job and they did not compress the pistons to clear the nubs on the pads. The caliper pistons looked funny when I did a pad change a few months back but I didn't inspect super closely, it was then that I decided to buy new calipers all together.

here some pics
20150919_202205.jpg
20150920_124746.jpg
20150920_170935.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love the look.

Me too, thank you. And at the same pricing as OEM replacements it was hard not to go this route.

Summit was $65ish each rotor and $80ish for each caliper.
and $60 for the duralast performance ceramic pads.

AutoZone wanted the same price for OEM parts. So I figured it was a was to try these out for a OEM cost replacement comparison

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Looks good, cool that you found those calipers.

I still want some bigger brakes cheap..lol

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good, cool that you found those calipers.

I still want some bigger brakes cheap..lol

Me too, but I don't think the cheap part fits into that equation. I think one day I will do the baer upgrade, but that will be once I get to the 500hp range at the rear wheels, If I can before I blow everything else up in the process.

looks great... hows she stop?

Good, I can actually feel them bite now, before the were always faded and sloppy. But I think that was due to the damaged pistons. I'll have to take a pic of the damaged ones when I get home.

When I get time, which will probably not happen any time soon, I will order up the rears too, just not sure if I will get the calipers too or just paint mine. most likey I'll just order the rears from powerstop through summit cause its less time y truck is off the road. just don't have time to work on the truck.. I need a clone.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I kind of wonder what they put on the Urban Ram concept awhile back... saw a few up close pics and it definitley has large fixed caliper brakes.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

According to Motor Trend they were SRT rotors, I'm assuming from the SRT-10 of years past??? Should really be able to match up and Caliper with the right size big rotor if you fab a bracket to fit. But I'm going to assume they are with Baers or SRT-10.

I wish Dodge would come out with a SRT-8 Ram

I'm curious what they used as this is the second article to claim SRT brakes
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/ram/urban-ram.html

Now I'm curious as to the rotor size and how they mounted them up

Edit, they appear to be from a 04 SRT-10
http://www.roeracing.com/productcart/pc/OEM-Front-Brake-Caliper-for-04-Ram-SRT-10-p1205.htm

Now I'm curious as to the rotor size and how they mounted them up

Last edited:
OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After doing a little research, it appears that the rotor size for the srt10 and the 09-up Rams are 13.2" rotors, so in theory if the mounting brackets are the same (which I doubt we could be that lucky) they would be a bolt in situation with upgrading the rotor quality you may have a budget performance brake system.

But the catch is fro what I see the SRT-10 calipers I found there which were supposed to be OEM are discontinued on the passenger side... so back to the drawing board, or shell out the 2k-4k for the SSBC or the Baer kits.

Its really surprises me the lack of performance aftermarket for these trucks

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has probably been covered, but what about Jeep GC SRT-8 brakes? I know its a popular mod for Durango's?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After doing a little research, it appears that the rotor size for the srt10 and the 09-up Rams are 13.2" rotors, so in theory if the mounting brackets are the same (which I doubt we could be that lucky) they would be a bolt in situation with upgrading the rotor quality you may have a budget performance brake system.

But the catch is fro what I see the SRT-10 calipers I found there which were supposed to be OEM are discontinued on the passenger side... so back to the drawing board, or shell out the 2k-4k for the SSBC or the Baer kits.

Its really surprises me the lack of performance aftermarket for these trucks

They do look like SRT10 brakes now that you said that.

SRT-10 front rotors though are 14.96" not 13.2"

From my research, the only way to bolt them on is to use 3rd gen spindles are get some custom adapter brackets.

I have a friend who just bought a Yellow SRT10 Ram, if I ever get time. I wouldn't mind take measurements for some brackets.

Problem is, you want the brake calipers. You either find them used or buy them new for around $100 + $250 core core charge.

This has probably been covered, but what about Jeep GC SRT-8 brakes? I know its a popular mod for Durango's?

Not on here, but on the other forum.
A member did buy some Jeep SRT calipers and it's the same issue. You will need a custom bracket.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn info I found, should never trust the Internet parts sites that gave me the parts for the srt 10 rotors .03" difference.... well back to the drawing board.

But definitely look into that on your buddies truck. Still may be a cheaper option than 4k for the baer setup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd just use a third gen spindle. Easiest way to go IMO

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd just use a third gen spindle. Easiest way to go IMO

Is the SRT-10 a Spindle or Unit bearing system? trying to research parts and I get spindles that pop up but they are bolt on to the knuckle.

I'm guessing the SRT-10 is a 2 piece spindle?

I'm not 100% sure of its set up but seems that's alot of parts to buy even of you can find them.. I think by the time your done you'd be close to the same price as a set of Baer big brake kit with alot more head ache...

I'm still curious, but don't have more time to fully research it. if anything its going to be at least $2k-2500 and alot of time and potential for modification.

I wish I was independently wealthy to support my Automotive addiction

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I guess we're talking about two different things? I'm talking about the part that the brake caliper bolts to.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the SRT-10 a Spindle or Unit bearing system? trying to research parts and I get spindles that pop up but they are bolt on to the knuckle.

I'm guessing the SRT-10 is a 2 piece spindle?

I'm not 100% sure of its set up but seems that's alot of parts to buy even of you can find them.. I think by the time your done you'd be close to the same price as a set of Baer big brake kit with alot more head ache...

I'm still curious, but don't have more time to fully research it. if anything its going to be at least $2k-2500 and alot of time and potential for modification.

I wish I was independently wealthy to support my Automotive addiction

After doing a little more research it looks like the 3rd gen spindle is the same as the 4th gen.

The SRT-10 is entirely different and you need to find some SRT-10 spindles to do the swap.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well found a source for SRT10 parts, just no spindles yet... might be a cheaper route than the baer system though not much depending how may other parts you have to buy to match up the spindles and hubs or if the 4th gen hubs work it would be cheaper.

just need to find the spindles

Edit: Guess it helps to add the link
https://theviperstore.com/RAM-SRT10_Products_Performance_Brakes.htm

Rotors $360
Calipers new $1160
Rear new $830
Calipers Reman $480 $1000 all four
Braided brake lines $270
Pads $170
Spindles ?????????

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The 3rd gen spindles are the same as the 4th gen spindles BUT the SRT10 spindles are different altogether, there is no crossover between the two since even the lower balljoint location is slightly different due to a different caster angle. The spindles can be bolted to the control arms then the calipers will bolt to the spindles but you will also need new hubs. Unless you have a wrecked donor truck you will be shelling out the same amount of money buying new parts to do the swap as you would have spent on the SSBC kit.

This topic comes up every time brake upgrades are discussed and the reason you can only find 2 examples of people actually doing this swap is because it's cost prohibitive without a donor truck. I just priced out the new parts required on Rockauto and it came to $1200 so it would a bit of a cost savings but not much considering a set of SSBCs on AutoAnything start at $1200