Newb Ram Owner... Where should I Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I'm that guy who just bought his first Dodge Ram and comes on the the forum and asks all sorts of questions cause hes super excited and loves his new truck and wants to dump more money into it.
Seriously though, LOL I did just buy an 07 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi Big Horn.... Its completely stock, got a good deal on it, looks like the previous owner used it for groceries. I have been wanting a good rig and it looks like I found it.

I have been kinda tossing around the ideas of intake/exhaust and have recently been leaning more towards a performance chip first. I see there is an entire section about the Diablo Sport and all though I really like the Diablo Sport Trinity T-1000, I have also seen the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Tuner and was curious about everyone's opinions on either and if anyone has a preference.

I was also hoping for some tips on a good place to start for upgrades and modifications.

Thanks!

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone, I'm that guy who just bought his first Dodge Ram and comes on the the forum and asks all sorts of questions cause hes super excited and loves his new truck and wants to dump more money into it.
Seriously though, LOL I did just buy an 07 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi Big Horn.... Its completely stock, got a good deal on it, looks like the previous owner used it for groceries. I have been wanting a good rig and it looks like I found it.

I have been kinda tossing around the ideas of intake/exhaust and have recently been leaning more towards a performance chip first. I see there is an entire section about the Diablo Sport and all though I really like the Diablo Sport Trinity T-1000, I have also seen the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Tuner and was curious about everyone's opinions on either and if anyone has a preference.

I was also hoping for some tips on a good place to start for upgrades and modifications.

Thanks!

I'd recommend for a tuner going with the diablosport trinity and getting a custom tune done by a CMR; Hemifever(Sean) being my choice. I went with that route so if i decide to do a cam or bigger mods later on I have to ability to tune for it right away and I feel that Hemifever's tune is doing alot more justice to my bolt on mods over a canned tune.

The other popular tuning option is a Superchips flashpaq. I haven't used one so I can't comment on it but I always hear good things about it.

scottwynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought the Superchips Flashpaq last week for my 05 and it's great. You won't regret it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Superchips Flashpaq on my 09 and loved it. I just bought the Diablosport Intune for my 14. I didn't have a choice as this was the only one available for the 14's. Just installed the 87 tune until I can fill up with 91. I got the White Lightning custom tune. Gonna see how that is in the next week.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Definitely check out Moes Performance for MODs you'd like to do. They're a vendor for RF and have amazing customer service. I would also look into getting a BT catch can if you're gonna get a tuner. A lot of people on here will tell you that's one of the first MODs you should do as it will help out once the tuner is installed.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks!

Welcome!
Re tuners: I ran the Bullydog GT Hemi for a year and it has great canned tunes (better than the T1000), but doesn't take custom tunes. Two weeks ago I retired my BD and got a T1000 with Hemifever tune and it is night and day from the Bullydog. So definitely DS if you want a custom tune, and BD or others if you don't.
As far as other mods, be warned, once you start you won't be able to stop! ;)
Moe's is who I would recommend to get your mods from: super service, Matt is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, fast shipping, best prices, etc..
That's my 2 cents. Happy Modding!

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
As far as other mods, be warned, once you start you won't be able to stop.

I second this haha. I even got a new credit card with 18 months no interest just to purchase the diablo trinity tuner haha.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second this haha. I even got a new credit card with 18 months no interest just to purchase the diablo trinity tuner haha.

Nice bro! That's a few bucks a month to pay it off in 18. The fun your will have with that tuner during that time ----> PRICELESS!!!

OP
OP
B

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW!! Thank you all so much for the info!!!

Catch can Question... I was on Billet technologies website and I only see an 09 to 14 catch can, will this work on my 07?

Welcome!
Re tuners: I ran the Bullydog GT Hemi for a year and it has great canned tunes (better than the T1000), but doesn't take custom tunes. Two weeks ago I retired my BD and got a T1000 with Hemifever tune and it is night and day from the Bullydog. So definitely DS if you want a custom tune, and BD or others if you don't.
As far as other mods, be warned, once you start you won't be able to stop! ;)
Moe's is who I would recommend to get your mods from: super service, Matt is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, fast shipping, best prices, etc..
That's my 2 cents. Happy Modding!

DavidRam!! Thanks, thats what I was looking for someone who has used both. How do I go about getting custom tunes? How do you get the Hemifever tune?

Looks like the first 2 things I will be getting is a tuner and a catch can(If i can find one for an 07).. I suppose intake and exhaust would be a good edition after?

Thanks!

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Go to Moes Performance website and search for your year there. I believe the catch can is the same for all years, but check there first to confirm it's listed as an option for purchase with your truck. There is a link to their website on the right side of this website. You can also send a message to Matt at Moes Performance. His user name on this forum is Hemi450hp.

OP
OP
B

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with a little research i found out that gen3s such as mine have an internal pcv system, The best way to solve this is with a 6.1 manifold conversion, which would best suit new heads, cam, supercharger.... and a new custom tune... LOL

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW!! Thank you all so much for the info!!!

Catch can Question... I was on Billet technologies website and I only see an 09 to 14 catch can, will this work on my 07?

DavidRam!! Thanks, thats what I was looking for someone who has used both. How do I go about getting custom tunes? How do you get the Hemifever tune?

Looks like the first 2 things I will be getting is a tuner and a catch can(If i can find one for an 07).. I suppose intake and exhaust would be a good edition after?

Thanks!

I would call Matt at Moe's and he can give you excellent answers for both the right catch can for your truck and also the DS T1000 with Hemifever tune. After receiving and installing your T1000, Sean from Hemifever emails you your custom tune. Next you do a couple runs to log some info, you send that info back to Sean, he tweaks the tune to optimize it.
Click this link: DiabloSport Trinity Tuner

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Congrats on the new rig. Where are the pics???

OP
OP
B

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new rig. Where are the pics???

Thanks!! Its all stock right now, I figured you guys would rather seee pics after i do something to it.. LOL Ill take some pics now since its not raining anymore... I live in washington state, gotta take advantage of the clear days.

So after talking with a few of you last night I have some sort of a plan of action... for my first set of mods anyhow.
Im just not sure if U should get the tuner last that way i get the best custom tune from hemifever.

Magnaflow Cat Back Dual Exhaust
Moes 87mm ported Throttle Body
AEM Cold Air Intake
Diablosport Trinity w/ Custom Hemifever Tune

From there I will Consider future mods but for now I just want to make sure the respiratory system is nice and open... If anyone knows of a way to pass emissions with no cat and some headers let me know.. LOL Also IF you have any suggestions to what I can bolt on to improve performance please chime in. :)

Thanks!!!

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A 6" lift with 37s is a great bolt on performance MOD :). It allows you to run over anyone that won't move out of your way haha.

OP
OP
B

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 6" lift with 37s is a great bolt on performance MOD :). It allows you to run over anyone that won't move out of your way haha.
*****!!!! A lift with rims and tires are a definite must, but that probably is gonna be a phase 2 or 3 mod... :) The lift I was looking at was 2500 plus rims and tires im probabaly looking at another 1500 - 2500 as well. :)

Here is a fresh pic... I will head up to the mountains this weekend and snap a pic for my new sig.

ram.jpg

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forget performance stuff first, change all fluids. You have no clue how well the previous owner kept up with that stuff.
In my opinion, that's the first thing that should be done on a used vehicle over a couple years old.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The lift I was looking at was 2500

I take it you're looking at BDS haha. That's the lift I want, and with wheels and tires I'll be looking at probably another 3,000. So that is definitely a project for a few years down the road. Unless someone wants to be generous and send some money my way :).

OP
OP
B

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forget performance stuff first, change all fluids. You have no clue how well the previous owner kept up with that stuff.
In my opinion, that's the first thing that should be done on a used vehicle over a couple years old.

Always a great piece of advice, you're exactly right.

OP
OP
B

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I take it you're looking at BDS haha. That's the lift I want, and with wheels and tires I'll be looking at probably another 3,000. So that is definitely a project for a few years down the road. Unless someone wants to be generous and send some money my way :).

I was looking at the $3500 BDS 6inch lift kit that comes with a whole leaf pack, I dont like to add a leaf or use blocks but $3500 is pretty spendy, so i was looking at some of the other lift products then sourcing new leaf packs locally. Id give it a year or two before I do that. LOL.