Newbie from NYC. Modifying my intake and exhaust in hopes of gaining 100+whp :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have been thoroughly impressed with your build and ability to design and get things together. But now I have to admit I'm equally impressed in that you can gather parts at such an uncannily rate. Do you live in the middle of a well stock performance shop? Well done...

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a combination of home made parts, leftover parts from previous builds and the quick service of summit racing.
Just to give you an idea, i have a bucket with so many fittings that sometimes i forget what i have in there and end up reordering fittings i already had!
Same thing with mandrel bend tubing, there was a guy on Ebay that use to sell "damaged", but that look absolutely perfect to me, mandrel bends. He would sell 10 pieces for about 40 to 50 dollars. I bought of all sizes throughout the years and have a whole bunch of them laying around. Sadly, i lost contact with the guy.
When i help friends with their builds, they usually leave me all their leftover or take off parts aswell. There is a speed shop near me, but they only have the basic stuff.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to mention, the charging problem i had was a bad alternator

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I think you will like the OCP manifold. When I installed mine it actually gave me a idle that was more solid than the OEM manifold. Just curious where did you get the manifold? I understand Summit, I can often get a part from them quicker than any other source. Living in the sticks has it's drawbacks....

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manifold i got directly from OCPERFORMANCE . At the time i ordered he had 2 or 3 in stock so it shipped right away.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The manifold i got directly from OCPERFORMANCE . At the time i ordered he had 2 or 3 in stock so it shipped right away.

Joe is great to deal with and you can't get better support any where.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Your fuel basket is right on the money with the return line dumping directly into the basket. I also used his thread for guidance but didn't think I could mount both the pickup and return fittings into the small area so drilled the tank and routed a hard tube to dump into the basket. I like yours better.

txr7.jpg
rez6.jpg

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to dremel away some of the "ribs" that you see to the left of your fitting in the pic you posted to make a little more room for the other fitting

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I see what you did now. I stayed within the cast ribs. I should have done what you did.. Well done.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Looking good. Which fuel pump are you using?

For the injectors I would suggest the SRT4 stage II injectors. The ones I had easily supported my 580rwhp with 12psi and they can easily be scaled to give whatever pulse width you need so you have room to grow in the future if you want. It's the same injector that comes with the Procharger blower kits so they are able to easily handle the added air flow when tuned properly.

I have the same problem with AN fittings, I have a tonne of them but they are organized in a tackle-type box. You ran your fittings similar to mine except I ran a -6AN and a -8AN and the -6AN is run through the oem spout hole where you have yours blocked off. I'm pulling my tank tomorrow to install the 2nd pump so I'll snap some pics of it.

Also, keep an eye on that fuel pressure gauge, I burned through 3 of them while the pressure regulator was attached to the engine. I finally had to remove them and run the gauge remotely. Even the oil filled gauges would break if you get a lot of vibration from the engine.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will look into those injectors. Do you know who sells them? Are they oem Mopar or aftermarket?

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
question:
when I swapped the intake I made some of the wires longer to route them under the intake. While doing that, I noticed a single wire tapping into the number 5 injector? why do this? a tachometer, maybe? any other reason to do this in a Hemi?
I have always believed that this truck had work done before and I keep finding clues.

Also, the "lightning bolt" on the dash started blinking. It stays on (blinking) as long as the truck is running. The truck idles and drives perfect. I did elongate the wiring to the throttle body by about 8", but I was very careful when I did it to make sure everything was proper. Maybe the throttle body is on its way out? Anything else I should be looking for?? I do remember wiping the inside of the throttle body with a towel and I think I might have pressed against the throttle blade a little too hard as I remember hearing a very faint click sound as if the throttle blade had moved. Any ideas??

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The tap on #5 coil is a common point to get a tach trigger. I have changed the plug on my 03 with a 05 to use the 90mm TB. The lightning bolt is like you have suggested, a wiring issue, bent pin on plug or a damaged TB. The TB's I've found to be pretty robust. So I would look at the wiring and plug first.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looking good, can't wait to see how it runs.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tap on #5 coil is a common point to get a tach trigger. I have changed the plug on my 03 with a 05 to use the 90mm TB. The lightning bolt is like you have suggested, a wiring issue, bent pin on plug or a damaged TB. The TB's I've found to be pretty robust. So I would look at the wiring and plug first.

Thanks for the reply. I will recheck the wiring and plug to make sure everything is in order.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I will look into those injectors. Do you know who sells them? Are they oem Mopar or aftermarket?

The pump is a Walbro400

They are a mopar offering and can be found everywhere if you search for srt4 stage 2 injectors. I was running them with my walbro 400 so I know they work well together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not much of an update, but i finally finished the cold side! 20160109_171655_zpsdmxskkym.jpg
20160109_171720_zps7ogb7lel.jpg
Will try to do fuel system next week