Pcm or intake manifold first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I was wondering should I get the intake manifold or a mopar pcm first. I tow a boat with my truck just want to get a little better mpg. I already have a cold air intake. I just don't know what will be better people I work with say the intake then pcm but what will give me better mpg.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Your after mpg........... oh boy. I did see an small mpg increase with the MP pcm, but that was negated by the skinny pedal.

Install the pcm first. The M1 and the F1 intakes both like other supporting mods, you might not be to happy with the results you get by installing the intake first.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Your after mpg........... oh boy. I did see an small mpg increase with the MP pcm, but that was negated by the skinny pedal.

Install the pcm first. The M1 and the F1 intakes both like other supporting mods, you might not be to happy with the results you get by installing the intake first.
Im not after just mpg it would be nice to get a little better mpg. But I did find a 85 diesel that gets around 17mpg city 6.9 diesel ford that's really cheap and looks really good.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Im not after just mpg it would be nice to get a little better mpg. But I did find a 85 diesel that gets around 17mpg city 6.9 diesel ford that's really cheap and looks really good.

Slap a turbo on that old diesel and watch it fly. :hat:

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Well the Trans is only going 1St to 2nd and reverse but I know what's wrong with it and it's a cheap fix. Im going to try and get it for 800 I might sell my truck if I get it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well the Trans is only going 1St to 2nd and reverse but I know what's wrong with it and it's a cheap fix. Im going to try and get it for 800 I might sell my truck if I get it.

Unacceptable!

lemongrab.jpg

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
No acceptable I love my dodge and I love Ford and the old diesels are like tanks. It's ok id still have a 1500 in my drive way

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Im keeping my truck I'm going to probably do the pcm first

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I figured I just put all this hard work and time into my truck I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I can get a raman pcm for 175 should I do it or should I dish out the $268 and get a new one?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have NEVER been into reman elec parts but thats me. I would indeed spend the extra cash and get the new one.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I have NEVER been into reman elec parts but thats me. I would indeed spend the extra cash and get the new one.
Yea that's what I'm thinking too. I wish I could also get a bully dog monitor the ones that tell you mpg and stuff but I don't think any one makes a obd1 monitor.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I don't think anyone supports OBD1 like you said and if there is one how much and how good is it. Two best gauges are A/F ratio gauge and a good old vac gauge.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I don't think anyone supports OBD1 like you said and if there is one how much and how good is it. Two best gauges are A/F ratio gauge and a good old vac gauge.

OK thanks and I'm starting to rethink buying the pcm since it recommends the 92 and up octane. I don't want to grenade my engine because I put 89 in it I know we discussed this before lol. I was reading up on the computer all it does is advance the timing I think I would be better off with a intake manifold. I read you can run 89 if you use a msd timing retard and not get any ping but the defeats the purpose of the computer. I don't think changing the thermostat out to a performance one would do anything getting a lower thermostat to lean the fuel mixture quicker.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Oy vey, lol. The M pcm changes fuel trim, timing curve, base timing and more.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Oy vey, lol. The M pcm changes fuel trim, timing curve, base timing and more.
I mean the original owner only ever ran reg and that's all I run. So putting that in with reg would make my truck a ticking time bomb correct?

Edit also its Oy vey smear. :p

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No it would not. I have used the M pcm since day one on my truck right off the dealer lot back in 96. It has worked with the stock motor all the way to this built motor. It has been towed with and has been run on reg fuel more than a few times back before this motor was installed. No one touches it, no one is allowed to plug into it and try and get it out of my hands and it will hit the fan lol.

Back in the day it was to be the M1 intake, R/T heads, R/T cam and the Mopar performance pcm add the Mopar 1.7 rr's to fill out the package.

Edit: What do you have against prem fuel or even mid grade? Cost is not that much more and much to be gained by running it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
No it would not. I have used the M pcm since day one on my truck right off the dealer lot back in 96. It has worked with the stock motor all the way to this built motor. It has been towed with and has been run on reg fuel more than a few times back before this motor was installed. No one touches it, no one is allowed to plug into it and try and get it out of my hands and it will hit the fan lol.

Back in the day it was to be the M1 intake, R/T heads, R/T cam and the Mopar performance pcm add the Mopar 1.7 rr's to fill out the package.

Ok so you have ran reg in it? Did you hear a ping at all what from other people are telling me I could grenade my engine with reg gas because the timing advances and could make it ping real bad. The guy who works for summit racing also told me that he said to be safe get a timing retard. But I seen on one website diablo makes a map sensor plug in. Mass Air Flow Sensor Calibrator

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes it pinged under hard accel, just have to work with it. If your plenum is leaking it will ping even harder. There is no way to adjust the timing on our motors its all in the pcm, not to sure trying to over ride it would be wise.

If you install the intake it will also like prem fuel, most any mods go best with prem fuel.

The starting point for your year truck is the pcm if you can't or don't want to use prem fuel then don't mod it at all, it will only waste your cash and make you unhappy with your truck.

Edit: If you install the M1 no pcm it will bog at bit, you install the Hughes F1 and it will bog a lot, both will make you unhappy with the results.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357