Plenum gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Let me elaborate a bit more, lubing a bolt or nut will allow more torque to be allowed to the fastener. This causes over torquing and could cause bolt/stud stretch and possibly failure. Adding lube to a non-critical pice of hardware probably doesn't matter so much and you can get away with it. Be careful adding lubricant to a fastener that is to be torqued dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Stacking washers is never a good idea, ever. Back when I was in school for diesel mechanics they brought in two speakers relating to this topic. The first guy was a bolt engineer, all he does for a living is design and test bolts. The second was a washer and gasket guy, same deal there.

To condense the combined four hour lecture, putting a washer on a washer will cause bolt stress and eventual snapping of the head off the bolt. Another potential cause is unlevel wear into the surface between the washer and part being bolted down, this results in bolt head stress and eventual failure of the bolt.

Washers are sided, they should only be used in one direction, bolts should never be shaved, however in a pinch it can work. More important than that, you should never grind bolts above grade 5 or you ruin their clamping ability.

When installing bolts, you should always lube them. For young guys wiping it along the outside of your nose is sufficient, or you can wipe an oily hand or rag on the threads.

Torque wrenches are only accurate when moving, once they stop they do not measure accurate at all. When tightening bolts in critical applications, you should take all bolts to 60% spec then go back around to 100% spec on tightening torque.

You can use two washers, but it is never a good idea. The effects listed are usually less in automotive becuase of the lesser torque specs and much shorter lifespan, however bolt failure can occur in as soon as 80K miles if multiple washers are used in a static environment. In a dynamic envirnmet bolt failure can occur in less than 20K miles.

that's very interesting and all that. I am sure it is relevant in some situations, but we're not talking about space shuttles, or land speed record attempts, we're talking little bitty bolts, not subjected to any stress, other than the little clamping forces to secure a plate to the bottom of the intake. Hey, do whatever you feel comfortable with. I have been wrenching on cars for over 50 years, and I'd have no problem with doubling a washer in this situation, if needed. That said, I'd also use a dab of blue loctite on the dry threads.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I disagree with always lubing hardware. Lube changes torque. When in A&P school, my instructor had worked for lycoming engines and told a story of a factory assembler decided to use lube on connecting rod cap bolts because they were easier to put together. Consequently the torque changed causing over torquing and eventually engine failure. You can't pull a plane over to the side of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS. I work on jet engines for a living and can tell you nothing is more important than following proper way of doing things. 1 nut or bolt falling off can cause an engine failure, shell it, and take down an airplane.

As for the automotive world, your example of the rod cap bolts speaks for itself.

If the written procedure says to lube or antisieze do it. If not don't. They're are SOME examples where this isn't true but not many