|Quaded quads V2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
So like everyone else i thought the output of the stock quad light was an accident waiting to happen and set out to fix this glaring issue. My first attempt was the standard MH1's and Matchbox projectors. the MH1's went in at 55w and the matchboxes at 35w, both at 5K.

image-3.jpg

These worked a lot better than the stock set up but still had issues that bugged me. The aim was a bit off as the matchboxes projectors were pointed up at a bad angle that meant most of the light went into the trees rather than the road. Then over time the output got weaker and weaker to the point that i was thinking of going back to the halogen stockers! Upon opening the MH1 projectors this is what I found:

image_zpse49f016c.jpg

It would seem that the stories about the MH1's not liking the 55W higher output were true, the projectors are toast! At this point i wanted something over the top awesome without getting stupid. Enter the D2s 3.0 projectors! The round version fits the main beam nicely and the square version happens to be a close fit for the lower high beam spot without excessive trimming for either. here is a mock up in progress:

image_zps59c9ca22.jpg

After getting the projectors roughed in the wiring needed to be adjusted to allow me to control either set independently. I found this idea for the switching

quadWiring_05.jpg

I chose to use 35W ballasts on the smaller square projectors and use them as my normal daily headlights with the larger round ones running 50W ballasts for those times that 35W is just not enough!

So with the wiring taken care of and switches installed the lights were finished and installed. (please ignore the dirty bits, its winter here)

image_zps27e8202c.jpg

image_zps2d3c43e8.jpg

The results are fantastic. Having the aim perfected I can use either set of projectors independently or run them together for really stupid amounts of light. The quad high beams are crazy, nothing can hide. Anyone considering doing a quad set up the D2S projectors are a far better option to the matchboxes! Aside from having to trim a lot off the shrouds and the chrome trim inside the headlights its actually pretty easy and the results far out shine the MH1/Matchbox version!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Get some night shots!!

OP
OP
ottbighorn

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
All I have rite now to take pics with is an iPhone 4 but this should convey the general idea of how the lows look. It's too bad the camera looses so much of the fringe

image_zps8712b7cc.jpg

I would say that the light is 5 to 6 lanes wide! On the highs with all 4 projectors lit I can see farther down the road than is needed and it's wide enough to light the edge of the road, the ditches on both sides of a two lane road and the trees beyond that to the point of being able to identify what species of tree it is clearly.

OP
OP
ottbighorn

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thanks.

The 3.0 x lense is the square one with the o being round. If you are just using one set go for the round lense. The square version bows the light down at the outer edges a bit costing some width to the beam. Either version is a bunch better than the MH1's though and fit in the upper bowl with little fuss. If you go that route a 1 3/8 hole saw makes quick work of opening up the reflector to put the D2S mounting shaft through.

As far as what to put In pace of the lower reflector, that's the tough part. There is not much space at all in there. I ended up having to trim a little out of the bowl to clear one of the ears on the projector as well as cut up the shrouds a lot. Without having the lights you are thinking about using in hand to compare to the space it's tough to say but my guess is they would be a lot of work to make fit and aim properly. Having said that lots of people told me that I could never get a real projector into that space so until you try you will never know for sure.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
daaaaaamn, I don't think I've ever seen a 3.0X in the highs....thats crazy! LOL

Neat setup, and I bet mounting was fun! cut, check, cut, check, cut......fun. ;)

great job man, looks awesome!

OP
OP
ottbighorn

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
daaaaaamn, I don't think I've ever seen a 3.0X in the highs....thats crazy! LOL

Neat setup, and I bet mounting was fun! cut, check, cut, check, cut......fun. ;)
!

Getting the X in there is actually easy! They fit the bowls perfectly and only need a bit of cutting for the top inside mounting ear in the reflector. I could have ground off the ear instead but the amount that needed to get taken out of the bowl is so little. The shrods though need to be cut up lots. In he end only about 1/3 of them is left but the chrome trim inside he headlight covers the rest after it gets trimmed too. The hardest part was getting the aim perfected! Because the projectors are stacked vertiacialy they have to have the beam pattern run parallel as far as possible and not allow them to intterstill a Long way out. I chose to have them not intersect at all. This took the time and several evenings in the dark outisde of checking the aim and adding shims to the back of the reflector under the mounting washer. That was shim, check, back inside to shim a bit more then back outside to check. Rince and repeat over and over untill satisfied. After using them for about a month now I would do it all over again happily. I think I'm done with lighting now. With these allong with the MH1 projector fogs that are wired to provide high beam if I want I have 4x 35W projectors and 2x 50W for 240W of HID goodness on demand.