Recall No More - 5.7l Exhaust manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rackemron4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Prety sure teh exhaust warranty is for 100K miles. SO, you would be under warranty
In 2016 FCA lowered the powertrain warranty on the 16's and forward to 5 year 60k from 5 year 100k. They did this since GM and Ford cut there warranties. We the consumer get screwed since this is a known issue and since the warranty got reduced its on our dime unless you can get FCA to warranty the issue. I found this out this past weekend with another known issue with the trans valve body. @RamCares

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called the dealership and the service tech told me to try some octane boost or 89 fuel to see if the tick goes away. What a joke!
Well, went in for my final oil change today at the dealership since I'm out of warranty. Ask them to check for broken manifold bolts while it was up on the hoist. Told me there were broken bolts on both sides and quoted me $1500.00 CAD + tax(13%). Over $2450.00 in repairs in the last 6 months at 103K kms just doesn't seem right to me.

I'll be getting a quote from another garage!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How old is your truck?

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welp. Set number 3 is broken. Time to argue with the dealership. Lol

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Brutal!! Unless they have fixed this issue in current/future models, I won't be buying another RAM.

Thing that sucks is they know it was an issue and keep replacing with the crap.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Brutal!! Unless they have fixed this issue in current/future models, I won't be buying another RAM.

Don't buy a GM then,they also break manifold bolts.There's lots of 4.8/5.3 GMs with the same issue.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't buy a GM then,they also break manifold bolts.There's lots of 4.8/5.3 GMs with the same issue.
Thanks for the heads up!
I just don't understand why they don't fix the problem. The ones they fix under warranty must cost the company a fortune. I guess they make up for it fixing the ones out of warranty.
Don't get me wrong, I love my RAM and constantly have to defend myself to my Ford friends, (all my friends drive F150s except for one that drives a Tundra), but these issues I've been having at 100K Kilometers, is starting to **** me off. I think I now have FP side bearing starting to go as well. Not to mention the PDC I had to replace back in the fall just so my windshield wipers would work.
I'm glad at least I can do my own brakes at a fraction of the cost!

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just checked my maint. log of the 03 SLT I had. 5.7 Quad Cab. At 61000km's (July 31, 2011) I went to TTI stainless steel headers but not because of manifold bolt issues. I was searching for fuel mileage (that I did not see realized in the end) and to take better advantage of an MBRP cat back stainless system install. I removed all the old manifold bolts with relative ease as I recall, while dreading the "snapped off bolt syndrome" the whole time. Never gave the idea of broken stock exhaust manifolds a second thought up until I tried to remove them. I didn't know so did not go looking for trouble I guess. I did see some video long after the fact the shows a shade tree guy in AZ doing the fix to his Ram. I guess I got a good set of manifolds or just did not have enough miles on the thing. So I've read all 11 pages today. Now I'm looking at JBA shorty pipes for a "when it happens" repair in the (hopefully) distant future. Just turned 12500km's on the 2018 Sport this month.

T.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi all of you guys having problems with the manifolds and spend good money for the dealer to replace them you can get a good set of headers for half the cost to replace the manifolds and you wont have any more problems i did 4 years ago no regrets at all

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hi all of you guys having problems with the manifolds and spend good money for the dealer to replace them you can get a good set of headers for half the cost to replace the manifolds and you wont have any more problems i did 4 years ago no regrets at all
Thanks tantore, when I have a chance to get a second opinion on the broken bolts, I'll ask about replacing the headers. I really appreciate everybody's advice, that's why I love this forum!![emoji106]

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I wonder what the percentage is of people with broken bolts?

I talk to Ram owners every time I see one / get the chance and have only met 1 person with a 2012 had it happen. Once. It was years ago and he still owns the truck, just talked to him yesterday.

I've talked to literally DOZENS of others since I bought my truck and joined this Forum (and read about it...) who have never even HEARD of this issue.

If it's under 1 in 10 or 20 that's probably why nothing is being done.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I wonder what the percentage is of people with broken bolts?

I talk to Ram owners every time I see one / get the chance and have only met 1 person with a 2012 had it happen. Once. It was years ago and he still owns the truck, just talked to him yesterday.
Add me as one with broken bolts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have mentioned it before and likely in this thread this is a widespread issue and it costs a lot to fix something that may only make it like 50k before having issues again.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm at 38k miles on my 12 and I've not had any problems with broken manifold bolts... Yet. *knocks on wood*

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have mentioned it before and likely in this thread this is a widespread issue and it costs a lot to fix something that may only make it like 50k before having issues again.

88k on my 3rd set. I have a friend w a 14 and 15 that have had issues as well. If it was an easy part to get to I wouldnt have such an issue

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealership is offering to cover the replacement this time due to being replaced within 2 years. But all my paperwork says is bolts replaced not which ones. So that could be a battle and out a vehicle for however long it will take.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would the shorty headers solve the problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357