Replacement hook

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meathead177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I bought my 2016 wagon used and the previous owner swapped the winch hook for a cheap Chinese shackle. I don't really trust it and want to put a hook back on. I see the old style clevis replacements are like $110. The new wagons come with those 3/8" 12000lb warn epic hooks which are cheaper but I think are rated for less weight and are Chinese too. Any other suggestions? I want to stick with a hook and stock 7/16" wire rope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had a conversation with a warm rep a year ago when the 19 wagons came out. The 3/8” hook was originally rated at 10k lbs then upped to 12. I didn’t like that, so when I redid my 18 I went with the epic 1/2” rated for 18k lbs.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
The only "Made in the USA" hook that I know of is from Factor 55. It's $249 and doesn't fit inside the bumper of a 2016.

OP
OP
M

meathead177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My truck has an AEV front bumper so the physical size doesn't really matter to me. I was planning on just hooking it to one of the tow points. Another problem though is if the cable goes straight to the tow point it will cover one of the fog lamps. I could either move the lamps to the hood or just put on some cheap shackles to lower the hook....b8cf292ec894d673ddf4ba1aaaf63976.jpg

OP
OP
M

meathead177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
And I had found this hook while falling down the rabbit hole of the interwebs. I have heard our 12k winches are actually 15k winches but dodge de-rates them for warranty purposes8c2f1e5f72440afb35843009d4d48522.jpg

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has an AEV front bumper so the physical size doesn't really matter to me. I was planning on just hooking it to one of the tow points. Another problem though is if the cable goes straight to the tow point it will cover one of the fog lamps. I could either move the lamps to the hood or just put on some cheap shackles to lower the hook....b8cf292ec894d673ddf4ba1aaaf63976.jpg

Why not something like the Factor 55 Prolink or Flatlink? USA made and you don’t have to hook it to anything so it won’t block your fog light. I have a pro link on the way myself...

https://factor55.com/product/prolink/

[URL]https://factor55.com/product/flatlink/

[/URL]

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
https://www.harborfreight.com/12000-lb-Forged-Alloy-Steel-Winch-Hook-56413.html

Harbor Freight sells 12,000 pound winch hooks at around $30, but buyer beware...

since they also sell Jack Stands. Luckily I had just crawled out just seconds prior from under my Power Wagon rear axle assembly after dropping the spare when my 6 ton Harbor Freight jack stand failed without any reason and entirely dropped my 7,000 pound truck down onto the lowest level of the jack stand which crushed it into the concrete. I had all four tires removed for a rotation. I have had life threatening instances in the past, but this was too close in timing, Just pure luck that I had walked away to get a beer. There was nothing left of it due to it was crushed under the axle. I still have the surviving jack stand, but won't ever use it. Normally you would require a receipt to get a refund. I threw their crushed product into the trash prior to the recall and purchased a brand with a safety insert pin. Here's their recall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/consumer-advisory-harbor-freight-jack-stands

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://www.harborfreight.com/12000-lb-Forged-Alloy-Steel-Winch-Hook-56413.html

Harbor Freight sells 12,000 pound winch hooks at around $30, but buyer beware...

since they also sell Jack Stands. Luckily I had just crawled out just seconds prior from under my Power Wagon rear axle assembly after dropping the spare when my 6 ton Harbor Freight jack stand failed without any reason and entirely dropped my 7,000 pound truck down onto the lowest level of the jack stand which crushed it into the concrete. I had all four tires removed for a rotation. I have had life threatening instances in the past, but this was too close in timing, Just pure luck that I had walked away to get a beer. There was nothing left of it due to it was crushed under the axle. I still have the surviving jack stand, but won't ever use it. Normally you would require a receipt to get a refund. I threw their crushed product into the trash prior to the recall and purchased a brand with a safety insert pin. Here's their recall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/consumer-advisory-harbor-freight-jack-stands

Geez man...Scary about those jack stands. We were joking about the HF jack stand recall at work today. I work with heavy equipment. Sometimes EXTREMELY HEAVY equipment and safety is something that has been ingrained me over my career so it it’s even worse when the jack stand you are using for safety fails.

That being said I’ll buy a lot of stuff at harbor freight but load bearing,safety sensitive and lifting equipment I won’t.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Factor55 is what you want. I avoid crap from China when it comes to most stuff but especially my recovery gear. BC80057C-7F48-4E6E-86A2-69048AC54FDF.jpeg

Maybe I should have went with the black Ultrahook?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Fun fact...Warn owns Factor 55, so there’s that lol

I have always looked at FF hooks as a gimmick. They add a redundant component to a winching system. “But closed loop winching is safer, and their book adds a closed loop connection point!” Um...if you want a closed loop system, you already have a closed loop...the end of your winch cable. Factor 55 hooks are (in my own opinion) completely unnecessary other than they look cool. But I digress, this is off topic.

Op, I also have an AEV bumper. I went with the Warn Epic 18k like I said above, but also got their winch hook isolator so I can neatly keep it tucked in the middle where it belongs. I don’t have any pics on my phone of it in use on my truck, but it doesn’t stand out and compliments my epic hook and fairlead very nicely.

AEC05851-9565-4E1B-9A68-94A0E89AA733.png

OP
OP
M

meathead177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Thanks for the replies/opinions....I'm kinda leaning towards the 18k warn epic ...not crazy expensive, don't have to make a new loop on the wire, and they have a pretty big mouth (?) to get 2 ends of a tree saver in.

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Factor55 is what you want. I avoid crap from China when it comes to most stuff but especially my recovery gear. View attachment 210526

Maybe I should have went with the black Ultrahook?
I didn’t see a black one on their site. There’s a gray one. You could always paint yours.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Geez man...Scary about those jack stands. We were joking about the HF jack stand recall at work today. I work with heavy equipment. Sometimes EXTREMELY HEAVY equipment and safety is something that has been ingrained me over my career so it it’s even worse when the jack stand you are using for safety fails.

That being said I’ll buy a lot of stuff at harbor freight but load bearing,safety sensitive and lifting equipment I won’t.

Harbor Freight in Clifton, Colorado stood by the product recall. Today I traded in my sole HF 6 ton jack stand for a free new set. I haven't removed the new ones from the box. Different manufacturer and design.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-Steel-Jack-Stands-56368.html

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fun fact...Warn owns Factor 55, so there’s that lol

I have always looked at FF hooks as a gimmick. They add a redundant component to a winching system. “But closed loop winching is safer, and their book adds a closed loop connection point!” Um...if you want a closed loop system, you already have a closed loop...the end of your winch cable. Factor 55 hooks are (in my own opinion) completely unnecessary other than they look cool. But I digress, this is off topic.

Op, I also have an AEV bumper. I went with the Warn Epic 18k like I said above, but also got their winch hook isolator so I can neatly keep it tucked in the middle where it belongs. I don’t have any pics on my phone of it in use on my truck, but it doesn’t stand out and compliments my epic hook and fairlead very nicely.

View attachment 210528

f55 hook is expensive but i think its a good useful item. wether its worth the price depends who you ask i guess. a $30 shackle on the end of the cable would do the same job but doesnt look near as tidy in the bumper . warn hook looks nice so long as it isnt from china. otherwise it can go in the scrap bin far as im concearned

if a person is dilligent about equipment inspection then spring latched hooks would be fine but i use cranes frequently at work and numerous times ive seen the latches break or just last week one fell off. better inspections may of caught it but people rarely inspect anything from my experience. shackles arent as quick or convenient but in some situations i think theyre better