Sad Day :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Well yesterday my rear end decided to take a poop on me. I was on my to stroudsburg to pickup a Ford motor and trans for my project truck and got more than halfway there and started o notice that everytime i took my foot off the gas i could hear like a grinding noise...so i thought at first that maybe it was my transmission or clutch going. So i figured since im more than halfway to my destination Id just continue along. Well i stopped at a stop sign and my truck started to buck pretty hard before it started moving again and as i got to the guys house, my driveshaft fell right off the rear end and its locked up solid now. Im hopin to get it towed home tomorrow so I can get it fixed. Im gonna get a rear from a buddy of mine and throw that in it and hope all goes well lol but does anyone know why these 9.25 rears are so prone to locking up? Is there any way to prevent it? The only thing I could think of is lack of fluid causing them to seize up..

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 9.25 is a fairly stout transmission.

I've never known them to have problems when properly lubricated.
(short of very abusive high HP or hufe tire situations)

I suggest you upgrade to 4.56s while you are in there. You'd have to do the front too but MAN is it worth it!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Had the same issue with mine once the pinion bearing started to sing its song. It was howling away for a while until i finally bit the bullet to fix it. Just parts alone cost me $300 but did the install myself. Labor would have probably been another $7-800. I also installed 4.56's and what a hell of a differnce it made for my pathetically underpowered v6

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I was actually thinkin about goin for like 4.10 gears..its just a matter of deciding whether im gonna keep my truck or not lol i mean i love my truck, but id like to get something a little better for towing and hauling and maybe something a little newer too. Also, i have no idea on how to change out gears in a diff either haha