scary moment getting on the highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a dumb question but i didnt notice if it was said.

You dont have the rubber mats on top of the factory carpet mats do you? We get a ton of customers that come in for service with the rubber mat sitting on top of the carpet mat.

Good point! I've seen a lot of that myself.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Sounds like a dumb question but i didnt notice if it was said.

You dont have the rubber mats on top of the factory carpet mats do you? We get a ton of customers that come in for service with the rubber mat sitting on top of the carpet mat.

Nope mats were gone when I bought it

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haven’t seen it mentioned but I have maxliner mats in my truck. paid 150 for front and rear off amazon. they’re form fitting line weathertec or husky. definitely recommend them, put a set in my lady’s 18 compass for around $130. front, rear, and cargo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That happened to my wife almost 30yrs ago when she cold started her carbureted 1980 Buick Skylark with a 2.5L iron duke. It was about 0degF out. By the time she unstuck the pedal, a connecting rod fragment was sitting on the front porch.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That happened to my wife almost 30yrs ago when she cold started her carbureted 1980 Buick Skylark with a 2.5L iron duke. It was about 0degF out. By the time she unstuck the pedal, a connecting rod fragment was sitting on the front porch.
Yeah I just shut it off and coasted onto the shoulder. Luckily it was broken on one end so I just stretched it out a bit bent over the end of it and limped into work. That's when I learned about how important it was to have that double spring on there and the significance behind it.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
i don't always accelerate hard, i'm usually a careful driver but it was 1 a.m. and the highway was empty and i haven't opened her up in awhile. i floor it, i get to speed, i release the pedal, pedal dosent move. its stuck to the floor and i'm going way to fast and still going faster and there is a 55 mph turn coming up. after slight panic moment i put my foot under the pedal and pull up. the pedal releases and returns home.

i pulled over and took a peek at the pedal. i couldn't figure out how it got stuck. maybe it was a freak moment i couldn't tell. i get back on the road but this time im ready for it, if it gets stuck, ill just pull up on it again. i floor it again, sure enough it got stuck again, i pull it up, pull over and give it another peak. nothing.

didn't happen again for 3 weeks, today it happened again. except i wasn't driving, i was resetting the "change oil" indicator. on the 3rd pres of the pedal, it got stuck. i leave it in place, hop out and saw that the end of the pedal was wedged into my Good Year rubber floor mat.

i clean my truck a lot, so that means removing the mats a lot to vacuum but i haven't cleaned it in awhile and after awhile, my floor mat slowly creeps forward under the pedals from regular use

pic below shows the point where the pedal wedges into the rubber mat

View attachment 137735
You know, you can always take those turns faster than the sign says. I can do a 25mph exit at 40 or 45 no problem.

Also, yeah, could've coasted it one click back on the ignition. Lol. Glad you're safe and got it figured out.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
this reminds me of the time the throttle cable snapped on my 90 era mack truck........no electrics in that thing, cable broke lifted the foot and the truck throttle went to full bore.........punch the clutch to get it out of gear and hit the key switch at the same time while moving 70 mph + with 70,000 lbs.......I laugh about it now......not so much when it happened.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this reminds me of the time the throttle cable snapped on my 90 era mack truck........no electrics in that thing, cable broke lifted the foot and the truck throttle went to full bore.........punch the clutch to get it out of gear and hit the key switch at the same time while moving 70 mph + with 70,000 lbs.......I laugh about it now......not so much when it happened.
Damn that makes my situation sound like I lost the the throttle on a moped at 30 mph and coasted to a stop.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Holy crap...

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This is why Toyota recalled so many vehicles... and why it's VERY important to make sure your floor mats fit properly and are in the correct position. If I were you I'd take a razor knife and shave off a half inch of that thick rubber on the edges.

Part of the Toyota recall involved shaving material off the pedal in addition to replacing the mats.

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Holy ****!!! I would’ve pee’d and pooped at the same time [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d recommend the mopar bucket mats, half the price of weathertech but twice the quality 9e85cf364d0db658cd346b606807179e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Are these the factory mats? When I got my ram new I had this big plastic bag in the cab and I just threw it in the shed as the dealer had installed the carpeted mats. Got to thinking about it the other day and went and dig them out and installed them. I was really impressed, really nice mats, especially beings that they were free.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk