Staggered tire on 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm looking to get a set of, NITTO 420V'S. Putting them on the stock wheels.
REAR: 285/50/20 LOAD 2756. DIA. 31.26
FRONT: 265/50/20. LOAD 2337. DIA. 30.47

THE QUESTION IS, WILL THIS MESS UP MY 4WD SYSTEM WHILE ENGAGED?? DIA. IS MINIMAL BETWEEN THE TWO TIRES. I PERSONALLY THINK IT WILL BE OKAY BUT, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SYSTEM YET ON THIS TRUCK.
2017 LONGHORN

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

THE QUESTION IS, WILL THIS MESS UP MY 4WD SYSTEM WHILE ENGAGED?? DIA. IS MINIMAL BETWEEN THE TWO TIRES. I PERSONALLY THINK IT WILL BE OKAY BUT, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SYSTEM YET ON THIS TRUCK.
2017 LONGHORN
I wouldn't,as that's almost 3/4" differance,you might get away with an 1/8" differance,but i think you might have transfer case issues with 3/4",the electric clutch in the t-case is probably going to be very unhappy.
If you don't use your 4X4 mode,you can pull everything ahead of the t-case and then you'd have no issues,but if you use it as a 4X4,find tires that are virtually identical heights

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Well if you don't want to use 4X4 then it will work just fine, but I'd pull the front driveshaft just in case.

If you want the rear tires to stick out slightly farther than the fronts, use all the same diameter tires and a set of spacers on the rear wheels

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In general I would not recommend doing that. Obviously in 2wd there is no issue. If you only used 4wd for short distances in low traction situations, like mud or snow, then would be okay. What I mean is that if you were actually stuck in 2wd or could only move with a lot rear wheel spin, then shifting into 4wd to get out that situation would not cause issues. Just make sure to shift back into 2wd.
I definitely would not use 4wd or any extended periods of time of higher speed driving, like if the roads were spotty with snow and ice (which I do all the time, but with matching tire sizes).
The size difference you list means that for each revolution of the tires there is a 2 1/2" distance difference in how far the front versus rear tires are trying to move the truck. The larger rear tires would want to "push" the truck 2 1/2" further than the front tires during each revolution if you had it locked in 4wd and would be fighting against each other. In another example, if you drove 1 mile the rear tires would make 645 revolutions where as the front tires would need to make 662 revolutions. Again, if you were locked in 4wd you would have some serious scrubbing and stress going on between the front and rear if on any surface with reasonable traction.
Also not sure how the auto 4wd system would react to this (assuming the truck has it). Not 100% how the Ram system works as I have never owned a 1500, and therefore never had the auto 4wd system (my 2500 has no auto mode). The difference in wheels speeds between the front and rear may be great enough where it's always basically fooling the system to think one or the other end is slipping and therefore applying the 4wd clutch packs???? In any case, don't think the system would like it one way or another.

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not kidding. Why do you think I asked the question. Your only talking about 3/4" difference. I have always had exact size tires on my 4x4's. Had to ask.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are those measurements you gave *actual* measurements or published? Sometimes actual measurements differ from published. If you own them already, you could try inflating the 'larger' ones slightly less, and the 'smaller' ones a little more ...just to see if they even out.

Some simple math I plugged in:
REAR: 285/50/20 LOAD 2756. DIA. 31.26 - 196.41 Circumference
FRONT: 265/50/20. LOAD 2337. DIA. 30.47 - 191.45" Circumference

Difference in circumference: 4.96"

Every 10 revolutions(160') = 49.6" difference.
Football field length = 7.8'
1 mile distance driven = 136.8' difference

Again, those are going off the numbers you indicated. At face value it seems like quite a bit to me, and would likely put stress & additional wear on your transfer case and other components. Unless the Actual real-world circumferences are closer together. Or you used 4x4 mainly on slippery roads. Cheers :waytogo:

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not gonna beat you up. Here is simple answer. NO !!. Get all 4 identical size tires. With the clutch packs in the 1500 4WD setups, you are gonna stress and burn them out if you are not careful. Further, different rotational spins front vs rear puts a lot of stress on the 4WD system that is not the greatest anyway. You being in DE, there may be days where U want the 4WD engaged or on auto, just saying. BUT your ride, do what works for U.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder though... how many pick-up truck owners out there put on two brand new tires on at a time (maybe not even matching) ...because that's all they can afford, and run them with low-tread tires on the other end of the tk? Probably a lot more than we are aware of.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I wonder though... how many pick-up truck owners out there put on two brand new tires on at a time (maybe not even matching) ...because that's all they can afford, and run them with low-tread tires on the other end of the tk? Probably a lot more than we are aware of.
The same ones that drive in 4WD and complain when their new pair of tires wore down twice as fast and wonder why.

Last edited:

NotEnufgarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

2017 LONGHORN
The real question here is ;

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO USE DIFFERENT SIZE TIRES?

Is this for some kind of Ghetto Fabulous (aka Stupid) look that you’re trying to achieve or is there a legitimate reason?

Staggered sizes are common on race cars, but it’s done for a reason. Because the front tires have to steer, they can’t fit as wide of tires up front as they can on the non-steered rear tires.

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been building and designing vehicles for 54 years. We were trying for a different look. Free country remember, to each is own you ignorant A****

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good point. A lot of the mud tires have around 18/32" tread depth new. That means there could be over an 1" total diameter difference between a brand new versus completely bald set of tires. Add in the fact that many different brands of tires measure differently even if the size marked on the sidewall is the same and I guess you could easily have more of a difference than what the OP is stating.
I know I already posted my thoughts.........but thinking about it this way are you really going to be able to see the difference in the tire sizes listed by the OP?

OP
OP
J

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
More like going for dif
Width. Wanted to get a wider tire in back and not put the same in front so as not to strain the steering. If I use the 4x4 once in 10 yrs, it would be alot! Not much snow if at all any on delmarva

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More like going for dif
Width. Wanted to get a wider tire in back and not put the same in front so as not to strain the steering. If I use the 4x4 once in 10 yrs, it would be alot! Not much snow if at all any on delmarva
In the tire size you noted, there is less than 1" width difference. I really doubt it would make any significant difference.....think you are way over-thinking this.