Staggered tire on 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably. But , thats part of the fun! :)
Fair enough! I'm all for thinking outside the box and doing custom work or something that hasn't been done before. Just my personal thoughts.....if you are doing this just the wear and tear concerns I just wouldn't think you will see any significant difference. If just for looks I'm also not sure how noticeable it would really be. But in the end, it's your money and I don't think the truck is going to explode in a ball of flames if you do it either.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
More like going for dif
Width. Wanted to get a wider tire in back and not put the same in front so as not to strain the steering. If I use the 4x4 once in 10 yrs, it would be alot! Not much snow if at all any on delmarva
If you never use it as a 4X4 you can take everything ahead of the transfer case out,and then as long as you don't have anymore then a 3" differance in tire height front to back the truck won't throw any codes. Anymore then a 3" differance will send the truck into limp mode because of the wheel speed sensors freaking out. I run 295/45/20 and 305/50/20 on my 4X4 ,but it's had the front driveshaft / front diff and CV's removed since the truck was pretty well new several years ago.You'll save roughly 120lbs, with 40lbs of that weight being rotating CV weight. I did it for the dragstrip,as the truck gained a full 2/10's at the track with everything removed

Last edited:

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
For trucks that strictly use 4WD off-road, it's OK to use larger diameter tires on the truck as it makes the truck more stable on loose sand, mud, etc. Bad idea for the reverse on pavement.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
For trucks that strictly use 4WD off-road, it's OK to use larger diameter tires on the truck as it makes the truck more stable on loose sand, mud, etc. Bad idea for the reverse on pavement.
Larger diameter is one thing, differwnt diameter front and back is a whole other set of issues in 4 wd.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to get a set of, NITTO 420V'S. Putting them on the stock wheels.
REAR: 285/50/20 LOAD 2756. DIA. 31.26
FRONT: 265/50/20. LOAD 2337. DIA. 30.47

THE QUESTION IS, WILL THIS MESS UP MY 4WD SYSTEM WHILE ENGAGED?? DIA. IS MINIMAL BETWEEN THE TWO TIRES. I PERSONALLY THINK IT WILL BE OKAY BUT, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SYSTEM YET ON THIS TRUCK.
2017 LONGHORN
Yes, they all need to be SAME size, period. Or take it out of 4WD forever before you ruin it.

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
3 adverse things to be aware of - can't think of any positive things to offset.

Negative:
1. Differential revolutions per mile front vs rear may be a problem mechanically
2. Assuming the truck has anti-lock brakes, mfg recommend same tires front and rear (at least same diameter)
3. Potential understeer due to narrower front tires and stock suspension settings.

Positive:
1. Looks (maybe)

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Wut?

How would staggered tire sizes make a truck more stable?

For that matter, how does larger diameter tires of the same size all around make it more stable?