Stainlessworks Catback Installed & review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Well it showed up yesterday and on today.

I thought about doing it myself, but I've been down that road before and decided to let the muffler shop do it.

Got it from Andy at Gotexhaust.com. Came directly from SW. 2 boxes via FedEx.

Showed up exactly when it said it would. 6 days from Ohio to Alberta. No surprise charges. Just a signature. (Gotta love FedEx)

The install pretty much went as the video showed. One exception. The muffler shop is a huge pusher of magnaflow. When the installer saw catback, he cut it off as a normal cat back.

Not a big deal. new piping and hangers there now. No charge for the extra work and material.

Install was done on a wheel or platform lift. Not frame. Install took 1.5 hours. There were some slight adjustments that had to be made to make sure the tips lined up right. The installer put a light tack on each connection with the MIG. Just incase a clamp ever lets loose. Fit and finish is top notch.

What a difference 5" tips make...wow. Just the right size, IMHO, for the truck.

I loaded up the 91 canned tune with the Trinity. Adjusted a few parameters.

MDS off, Limiter to 165 , Throttle boost +10%.

Talk about Deep. It was in bay 6 of a 14 bay shop. They had the exhaust hoses on, and we could hear it in the waiting room. I thought it was the furnace kicking on.

The installer and I went out together while on the lift for one last look over to make sure I was happy. he had one concern about the lack of a weep hole for condensation in the muffler. Just how they sit. They could, but I think the 304 SS will last longer than I may have the truck. Concern noted. I'll have to read my warranty.

Big difference over stock. Quite a bit louder in the cab than I expected. Started to second guess what I'd just done. I'm not a 18 yr. old kid. I like loud, but a "power type" of loud. Not just "Look at me" noise.

( if that makes any sense? No offense to 18 yr. olds...lol )

First Impressions?

I wasn't too sure? I understand that things need to adjust. Just as some exhaust systems need a little carbon in them before you can make a honest decision and judgement. So does the ECM in the truck. Even with a fresh tune.

I took it out tonight for a little test/break-in run. 40km's combined city and highway. Hilly sections, cruise on and off, varying speeds of where I generally drive on the hwy, few open runs up to 120 mph to make sure the limiter was moved.

I was not happy. It droned bad from 1600 to 1900. Right when my rpm's usually hang on my hwy driving. The idle was hunting badly when I would come to a complete stop at lights. 600 rpm is where it should be. It would be around 750, then drop to 400 then settle at 600. I thought it was going to stall a few times. It surged going up some step hills on cruise. Same hill at 120 km/h and 110 km/h. Surging to the amount of 300 rpm.

I was pissed. The drone was killing me. That's the reason I went to Corsa on my car. I was thinking if the other mufflers might have been a better choice than the "S-Type"? Can I find a 3" resonator? Can I sell this?

Don't get me wrong, it sounded killer under power and at idle... it was how my truck ran and the drone under power.

I figured it out. The throttle and idle gave me a clue. I'm running Moe's 85 mm TB along with the Vararam. It wasn't doing it with those 2 mods. It was the tune.

Unlike the Challengers, there isn't the same throttle lag. It's common to boost the throttle up as much as 20% on the cars. I cleared the changes to the 91 canned tune, and did everything the same.... EXCEPT the throttle boost. I left it a 0%.

What a world of difference that made. I did the same run. Next to nothing for drone. Very slight bit at 1600... but not for a 3000 rpm range. and just briefly. Maybe for 300 rpm's worth... if that. And I mean slight.

Idle was 100X better. Little drop... but the ECM is still getting dialed in as it learns. Same with the surging. There but miniscule. It needs a few more miles. I'm pretty confident it'll be gone.

The exhaust is what I was expecting now. I love the sound inside and out. Not raspy on acceleration or deceleration at all. Beautiful deep... and I mean feel in your chest deep performance sound. Like music... not noise.

Huge improvement in performance as well. The only change I recently made was the 91 tune and the catback. I was running the VR CAI and 85 mm on an 87 tune.

Now traction is the issue without trying too much at lights.

I'm going to give it a week or so of driving to let everything settle in. Then I'll get the tunes into hemifever for final adjustment.

Am I happy with the results? I very happy now. The systems a keeper. Love everything about it. SW did an awesome job. No regrets at all.

Props to Andy @ GotExhaust.com for the great service, group pricing, and working with the shipping to keep the costs down for me.

Heywood

Last edited:

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeaahh!! Thanks for the emotional roller coaster Heywood! My heart sank when I got about half way through but I'm glad you figured it out and you're satisfied with the Stainless Works system!!

I like how the muffler shop used the pipe sealant at the slip-fit connections and put a tack weld too. I highly recommend at least using the high-temp sealant on all the connections for those of you who will soon be installing the same kit. A tack weld is icing on the cake and definitely recommended if you do a lot of off-roading with your truck.

Just to be clear, Heywood installed the Stainless Works cat back system with factory connection and S-tube mufflers. The S-tube mufflers are the louder of the two options, and we normally recommend the Turbo Chambered mufflers for use with Stainless Works headers. However, I'd be interested to hear a factory connection setup with the Turbo Chambered mufflers for anyone who doesn't want a moderately loud setup.

We have an all new Stainless Works Superstore which is separate from the rest of our site. Stainless Works products do not return with the Year, Make, Model search but rather they can be browsed manually to see all available options.

The Stainless Works system comes in Performance (to SW Headers) or Factory Connection and again you have the S-tube and Turbo Chambered mufflers as options.

Here's a link to our Stainless Works Ram cat back section: Stainless Works - Exhaust System - Dodge - Ram

Thanks again Heywood!

Andy

Last edited:

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
awesome review. if you dont mind me asking what did you give for the system? disregard shipping and taxes

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
GREAT Review!
I'm waiting for my headers to tips system now.
I will definitely provide details.
Thanks again Heywood for all of the details. very important to hash it all out for us.

USNVet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GREAT Review!
Thanks again Heywood for all of the details. very important to hash it all out for us.

I pick up my headers today from the shop that ceramic coated them. I got the 1 7/8" headers to tips kit with the performance connect and the S-Tube mufflers! :headbang: But, I like loud!

I will also provide feedback on that once it is all installed. However I am doing the transmission and torque converter install along with the exhaust and am still waiting for the tuning for that at this point in time.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Where are the vids? :)

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great in-depth review, but where are the pics and vid? :)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the review input!
Nice to know there another great option on the block for us.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed mine last Saturday and the quality from Stainless Works is outstanding!! I would also like to point out that Andy is a really cool guy to work with!

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just visited their shop. Awesome freaking facility. Hopefully working something out to get in to the 2500/3500 platform with my truck as the bacon lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Yeaahh!! Thanks for the emotional roller coaster Heywood! My heart sank when I got about half way through but I'm glad you figured it out and you're satisfied with the Stainless Works system!!

No... Thank you for the awesome customer service. I'm totally happy with the system.

awesome review. if you dont mind me asking what did you give for the system? disregard shipping and taxes

Thx. You should get a hold of Andy for pricing. It was a group buy, but I'm sure he can make it work for you.

Great review Heywood!
I was totally expecting a picture or two to show off the system.

Im currently waiting for my Longtube Headers

Well I did this pretty late last night. I generally don't do very many 100 mph + test runs on the hwy during the day. lol

I'm here in deadmonton as well. We could probably hook up at a Timmies somewhere. PM me.

GREAT Review!

NP..... Just figured I'd post what my experiences were. That's the great thing about these forums. Sort of paying it forward.

I have a motto that I try to apply:

"I going to learn something new everyday..... and I'm still going to die stupid"

I'll get some pic up...lol. I think I have a YouTube account or photobucket as well, so I'll see about some video's and sound clips.

It's a total mess here where I live. It went from -40 at Xmas with over 3' of snow to +9 yesterday. My trucks a mess, so don't judge me on those...lol

I hate when my stuff is like that. It's a pet peeve of mine.

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Ok.. due to popular demand. Pictures.

Video's are being uploaded to YouTube right now. I'll post them up when they are done.

Sorry about the quality. iPhone video's.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
lol... just went back and watched my own video's. The sub woofer on my cpu is making the filing cabinet doors behind me rattle.

trust me... it's that low.

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude that's badass man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice another Edmonton guy! Which shop did you go to? I went to park muffler for my magna flow

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk