Stainlessworks Catback Installed & review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
guys, Andy, I have a 1 7/8 SW LTs and SW turbo muffler and it has brought me the performance I'm very glad to (75 WHP at the same stand as before the tuning), but.... There is one "but". It is very loud. I try to explain - it is "full of sound" - deep, full of bass - I think no any separate muffler will bring that sound, but it is too loud. What worse is that it resonates at hard revving - I can't understand where this resonating sound comes from.
First I want to set gaskets between headers and block. Then I will check and seal all the couplings. but if it won't help, what would you recommend? I checked the sound of Magnaflow 12469 (3" dual in /dual out) on youtube but this sound doesn't impressed me much (there is more motor than exhaust). So any ideas? Maybe I should put the X-pipe or find and stick 3" resonators at the end?

p.s. I will try to make a video at the driving so you could understand what I mean.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now I know stainless makes a few mufflers, I would start with talking to them as they warned me that putting headers on my SW catback wouldn't be recommended as it would be obnoxiously loud.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If only Stainless Works had a website where one could watch videos with audio of how their exhaust sounds vs stock....

Oh.... Wait....

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a video:
Dodge Ram 1500 2009-2015 Exhausts - Exhausts/Catbacks - Automotive Performance Systems - Products

But it doesn't bring very much. I try to explain. Generally or in the city - there is no any problem. The sound, as I wrote, is perfect. No any muffler will bring like that. This is because you starting, then braking, so - discontinuous driving. But on the highway - it is too loud. Normal speeds in Russia on the highways are 65-75 mph. This is the range a bit under 2000 rpms when somehow it comes the most loudest noise - I don't know why. If I put 7th gear and rise the rpm up to 2000 at 70 mph - everything is going perfect.
I can compare, because I have had a Magnaflow 18" and Flowmaster (don't remember which one) previously. They didn't bring so deep sound, but had a trembling drone at these rpms.
Also I cannot tell that it lays on LTs - sure they bring more noise, but it differs and comes from the motor whether the most sound comes from the end.
I think SW should offer some resonators just as stock ones at the end (to avoid resonating sound at the hard accelerating - I noticed, there is same resonating effect on videos with headers+mufflers from other sellers too, also no resonators) and offer a muffler quiter then Turbo chambered muffler. I even cannot imagine HOW loud must be the S-Tube muffler...
As for now I see the best combination of SW LTs stock connection via Y-pipe to BORLA exhaust. Other "usual" mufflers like MF or FM, IMHO, would be too loud too.

p.s. If we hadn't such critical RUR/USD rate I would try the only Magnaflow dual 3" in and out, total length 22". It could save some power loses but must be also a bit quiter. I hope.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If only Stainless Works had a website where one could watch videos with audio of how their exhaust sounds vs stock....

Oh.... Wait....

I have a SW system and it sounds nothing like the vids on their site or on Youtube, so this comment is unhelpful, at best.

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a SW system and it sounds nothing like the vids on their site or on Youtube, so this comment is unhelpful, at best.

Do you have a resonating sound at the quick revving as I wrote above?
I've got exact the same mods as you have: trinity HF, vararam, SW LTs 1 7/8 and SW Turbo chambered.

This one sounds exact as mine does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFGt1VmFKs

except I can't play the gas on higher rpms (untill it drops to middle rpms)

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have SW Longtubes, and I found their videos fairly close in judging how my vehicle would sound.

Agree to Disagree.

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I have the "S" Type mufflers. No real amount of drone and mine does sound pretty much as advertised in the video. Then again I have a fairly good system on my cpu with a 10" sub.

Now with the other mods and the HF 91B tune..... it's perfect. It is a lot deeper than the video really shows.

I can't comment on the "Turbo Chambered" mufflers. The "S" are suppose to be louder, but they are not annoying to me. You know the trucks around, but it's a deep muscle sound. Not, for a better term, Brappy.

It's subjective to each person.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a resonating sound at the quick revving as I wrote above?
I've got exact the same mods as you have: trinity HF, vararam, SW LTs 1 7/8 and SW Turbo chambered.

This one sounds exact as mine does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFGt1VmFKs

except I can't play the gas on higher rpms (untill it drops to middle rpms)

Mine does have a noise around 3000-3500 RPM, under medium to hard acceleration. It almost sounds like a pipe hitting something under the truck, but I've been over the system several times.
I just chalk it up to SW being a mediocre exhaust system and count my blessings that I got my system for half price.
I've been shopping for mufflers since the day I installed this system. I'm in no hurry - I have no desire to go through another muffler change once I replace these SW's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500