Stainlessworks Catback Installed & review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Nice another Edmonton guy! Which shop did you go to? I went to park muffler for my magna flow

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Capilano Muffler since I'm close to there.

Audio Obsession Sound does a lot of work for me as well. They're just west across the parking lot from Park Muffler. They know me well...lol

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Capilano Muffler since I'm close to there.

Audio Obsession Sound does a lot of work for me as well. They're just west across the parking lot from Park Muffler. They know me well...lol

Haha I almost went in there last time I was at Park but I stopped myself for fear of buying yet another present for my truck

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
There's an aftermarket shop[ just besides them now. Lots of stuff for trucks. His name is Carl I think. He took a bunch of pictures of my lights.

Kris, Krill, and Kevin did my back-up camera's on the car and truck. They also do all my remote starter. They've done a lot of work for me there over the years.

Lol... it can get expensive.

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Update

After 1/2 tank of gas, the hunting at idle in gear and surging on the hwy has all but disappeared now.

No drone now that the throttle boost is at zero.

very pleased with my purchase.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want my Headers :(

Edit: Just listed to your video, sounds very similar to my old AeroTurbine set up

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the opportunity to hear this system today inside and out. Much like LT. Dan promised Forrest Gump if he ever had a shrimp boat he would be Forrest's first mate; I promised a local RamForum member if he bought the SW cat back I would come help him install it.

Well, he bought the SW cat back and I made good on my word. Install was relatively quick and easy. All of the pipes were marked by SW and the instructions were more than adequate.

Approximately 2.5.hours after I arrived we had the truck on the ground and ready for a test drive. The Hemi pulled better than ever and there was absolutely ZERO drone at cruising speed. I was actually surprised at how quiet it was inside the cab. I can now confidently say this is one badass exhaust system and that's the truth. If you want a great exhaust system take a look at SW. If you want some Kool-Aid to drink look elsewhere.

Last edited:

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p.s. despite what Stainless Works was was able to confirm 100%, their cat back DOES fit the regular cab short bed with no modifications in addition to the crew and quad cab models. You heard it here first and this particular RF member has the only short cab Ram in the country with Stainless Works cat back. Confirmed to fit by my own eyes!

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I want my Headers :(

Edit: Just listed to your video, sounds very similar to my old AeroTurbine set up

Never heard that set-up? Offer still stands if you want to hook up to hear it first hand. Just PM me.

I had the opportunity to hear this system today inside and out.

I was actually surprised at how quiet it was inside the cab. I can now confidently say this is one badass exhaust system and that's the truth. If you want a great exhaust system take a look at SW. If you want some Kool-Aid to drink look elsewhere.

It's quite when your not on it. It's not overly loud in the cab... but there's no mistake it's there. If I had to guess, I'd say about 20 to 30% louder in the cab .... but only when pushing it... and down lower in the rpm range. 1200 to 1800 rpm range.

Badass is a great description. Not raspy... no fart can like sound when you get on it. Deep and exudes pure power through & though. Same goes when De-accelerating or gearing down in manual mode.

As for performance... I've done a lot in a short period of time. Today I hit it at 30 mph and had to back off as the rear tire broke loose fairly easy. It was fairly warm today over the freezing mark and the roads were dry.

As far as I'm concerned... I'd put this SW system against any out there.

Even the Corsa on my Challenger. That's saying a lot because I absolutely love that system on my car. For my truck... there's not another system I like as much as the SW. More than 50% on cars on the road here in oil country are trucks... so I get to hear them all.

Last edited:

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Sounds amazing, but for a grand? Man, 2 mufflers and some stainless exhaust pipe? I wonder what there profit margin is...

I wonder if you can get the performance fitting without the headers? If you plan on getting them down the road of course.

EDIT: Answered my own question after reading a bit more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Lol... That was another thought. If I decide to go with the headers later, I just have to eliminate the "Y" pipe.

The only issue was noise. The SW video's show the header system with the Turbo Chambered mufflers. The cat-back on mine is the "S" Type. Like the video.

The db ratings with the Turbo mufflers and headers was louder than the "S". A concern was how much louder my system would be throwing headers on top. I almost went on the 1 3/4 headers on the group buy... but after talking to Andy at GotExhaust.com... it was his idea to wait to see how I liked what I had.

As for cost? 1k isn't bad at all for something that sounds like this and performs. Depending how long I plan on keeping my truck, I'll never have to buy another exhaust system as it is 304 SS construction.

Want sticker shock? Look at the $$ for a Corsa on a SRT8 Challenger, GT 500, or Vette. Noise is cheap. Speed costs money. Drone is a huge concern for me.

This was one of the only systems I hadn't heard in person. Every other truck that's had exhaust work done here is mostly Magnaflow & Flowmaster. A few Borla, Corsa Db.

I know that sound is subjective to each person, but if your looking for a system, you absolutely have to hear these in person. The video on SW's site sounds good... but you'll never get "The feel" unless your standing next to one.

The best way to describe that "Feel" is similar to when an old muscle car pulls up in front of your house and you get that deep tone without looking.

I'm sure now that Andy's tackled the install today... he can back up what I'm talking about.

Any Input Andy??

Last edited:

jakeSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 4WD Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And based on nothing but positive reviews on all sorts of sports cars and some truck reviews... I bought the Corsa catback for my 2012 Ram. I bought it almost a year ago so SW was not an option. I shopped around and just checked my receipt...$703. And NO drone. Something to consider...

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
And based on nothing but positive reviews on all sorts of sports cars and some truck reviews... I bought the Corsa catback for my 2012 Ram. I bought it almost a year ago so SW was not an option. I shopped around and just checked my receipt...$703. And NO drone. Something to consider...

Love my Corsa. Just wanted to go a different sound for my truck. If this ended droning..... I was going to go right to Corsa and stop screwing around. $703 is a great price. They've gone up a little since I've looked. Or I haven't looked in the right place.

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol... That was another thought. If I decide to go with the headers later, I just have to eliminate the "Y" pipe.

The only issue was noise. The SW video's show the header system with the Turbo Chambered mufflers. The cat-back on mine is the "S" Type. Like the video.

The db ratings with the Turbo mufflers and headers was louder than the "S". A concern was how much louder my system would be throwing headers on top. I almost went on the 1 3/4 headers on the group buy... but after talking to Andy at GotExhaust.com... it was his idea to wait to see how I liked what I had.

As for cost? 1k isn't bad at all for something that sounds like this and performs. Depending how long I plan on keeping my truck, I'll never have to buy another exhaust system as it is 304 SS construction.

Want sticker shock? Look at the $$ for a Corsa on a SRT8 Challenger, GT 500, or Vette. Noise is cheap. Speed costs money. Drone is a huge concern for me.

This was one of the only systems I hadn't heard in person. Every other truck that's had exhaust work done here is mostly Magnaflow & Flowmaster. A few Borla, Corsa Db.

I know that sound is subjective to each person, but if your looking for a system, you absolutely have to hear these in person. The video on SW's site sounds good... but you'll never get "The feel" unless your standing next to one.

The best way to describe that "Feel" is similar to when an old muscle car pulls up in front of your house and you get that deep tone without looking.

I'm sure now that Andy's tackled the install today... he can back up what I'm talking about.

Any Input Andy??

I agree, I was actually surprised at how deep the exhaust note is. Yet, it's very smooth and mellow at the same time. Not loud, not raspy, more of a burble at idle that you can feel in your chest. That's one of the characteristics of a dual exhaust with dual mufflers.

Which Corsa system did you get for $703? The 14405 is a very nice kit and somewhat comparable to the SW system except it uses 4.5" tips and only 1 muffler. You must have a different system though because even Corsa's deepest wholesale discounts would place that kit above $703 wholesale cost not to mention shipping. I have great discounts directly from Corsa and even I can't get that kit for $703, not even close as a matter of fact.

Love my Corsa. Just wanted to go a different sound for my truck. If this ended droning..... I was going to go right to Corsa and stop screwing around. $703 is a great price. They've gone up a little since I've looked. Or I haven't looked in the right place.

They've gone up a lot. Current MAP (minimum advertised price) set by Corsa is $1149.54. Very nice kit though and good for Jake if he scored it for $703 because someone lost money on that mistake! LOL

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
They've gone up a lot. Current MAP (minimum advertised price) set by Corsa is $1149.54. Very nice kit though and good for Jake if he scored it for $703 because someone lost money on that mistake! LOL

I have to agree on the price. I can only go by what I put on my car when it came to Corsa. They're not cheap, not everyone has one, and you get what you pay for.

1k on the SW is a bargain compared to what I had to shell out. The Corsa in Canada for my car was $1850. That's just the system excluding install.

It did give me 15hp and 18 tq at the flywheel and has zero drone. Little louder than stock at idle.... but just get into it and watch what happens next.

Like I said, if this didn't work... it would've been Corsa hands down. It's the right system for my car.... just as this SW is what I was looking for on my truck.

I now find myself looking for every excuse just to go out and play with it now. Outside of the headlights... this is the best mod out of all of them. Instant smiles every time I start it up.

Last edited:

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are those Dyno numbers for performance increase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And that's just the cat back?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Heywood

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
If your talking about Corsa on my car? Yes Dyno'd numbers. Flywheel numbers.

RWHP was 10 Tq 12. Lost a bunch of weight. The catback is part of a bigger picture. I have the M6 so my drive train loss isn't as great. I went backwards on the SRT8 and did the exhaust first. I hated the stock sound. Gave me time to research what I wanted to do later.

You can't relate performance increases of an SRT8 Challenger to a 5.7 Ram or even a 5.7 R/T Challenger.

The SRT's are well thought out from the factory. There's not a ton that you can do an see huge improvements. Airbox is a different design so a CAI just adds noise IMHO. It comes with shorty headers from the factory. Intake and fuel rails are different.

Buy the CB for the sound you like. Your not going to see huge numbers on it's own, but couple it with your other mods and the increase is better. So is drivability and response.

Every CB will have different # on different applications. Will a Corsa net the same gains on a Ram? I'm not sure if it will? How does the SW rank with gains? Don't know for sure, but the trucks a hell of a lot funner to drive with it on...lol.

Not many people pulling dyno numbers on a Ram forum, but there's a wealth of info on the Challenger forums. The only real big differences between the 2 are Intake, fuel rails, cam, tuning, and maybe heads.

jakeSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 4WD Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to clarify...I bought the 24405 Corsa Db exhaust and it was $703 shipped. The Corsa part #14405 runs about $400 more...for some reason I don't even remember searching for the more expensive one. Just did some checking and the only difference I found was that the more expensive one has better tips and is possibly more quiet (which I don't want). I personally love the slash cuts and the tips are a huge step up from stock. I was very tempted to just swap out the muffler or do a cutout, but kind of wanted better tips than stock and to get rid of the resonators, so I went with full catback. Everyone has there own opinion I guess...for me it was hard to pay what I did for a catback since my Ram (and most models) already has dual exhaust out the back. I also really like the electric cutout I have on my Camaro. Not knocking anyone buying SW exhaust..sounds like a great product and since it is two mufflers I can see why it costs quite a bit...

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to clarify...I bought the 24405 Corsa Db exhaust and it was $703 shipped. The Corsa part #14405 runs about $400 more...for some reason I don't even remember searching for the more expensive one. Just did some checking and the only difference I found was that the more expensive one has better tips and is possibly more quiet (which I don't want). I personally love the slash cuts and the tips are a huge step up from stock. I was very tempted to just swap out the muffler or do a cutout, but kind of wanted better tips than stock and to get rid of the resonators, so I went with full catback. Everyone has there own opinion I guess...for me it was hard to pay what I did for a catback since my Ram (and most models) already has dual exhaust out the back. I also really like the electric cutout I have on my Camaro. Not knocking anyone buying SW exhaust..sounds like a great product and since it is two mufflers I can see why it costs quite a bit...

Ah, that makes more sense. The Corsa dB is also a nice kit, glad you like it. We sell that too: dB Cat-Back Exhaust System 24405 Corsa Performance - High Performance Parts and Accessories from Got Exhaust.

The difference between the Corsa dB setup and the Stainless Works cat back is as follows:

SW | Corsa

Tips: 5" | 4"

Connection: Y-pipe | I pipe

Muffler(s): Dual 3" S-tube | Single 3"/2.5"

Pipe Diameter: 3" | 2.5"

Material: USA 304 SS | ?? 409 SS

Warranty: Lifetime | 10 Years

But as you said, there is a price difference and Corsa makes great sounding systems too. Since you brought it up, I thought It would be helpful to compare the differences between the two systems so other members can learn from our discussion and consider their options. The only thing I'm not positive about is the Corsa dB being 409 stainless. The higher end Corsa systems are 304 stainless like SW, but they don't specify on their website. It's either 409 or foreign sourced 304. Either way, typically if something is 304 grade stainless the company will make a point of advertising that. Corsa is calling the dB line "premium stainless steel". Thanks for following up, Jake.

Last edited:

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heywood shown is the SW now that you have some time and miles on the truck? I'm very interested in putting this on my 2014 8spd but want no drone. Thanks in advance!