Super Charger question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, despite my gorgeous looks and chiseled body, I'm not rich. I mean, I could be, but I decided it's not fair if I have everything. So, that also makes me an awesome guy too.

So, in saying this, super charger kits from ProCharger, Magneuson, etc are clocking in around $6,000 for a bolt on kit. It's pure insanity. While I would go on a beans and rice diet in order to get it, the wife is not going to agree.

I showed her a youtube video of a procharged 1500 and when I looked over to see her reaction see was looking at her feet and checking out her recent pedicure.

Has anyone tried a universal kit? They can come in around 2k. Perhaps one made for the Charger or Challenger?

I'd love to add some extra ummph. 2K or 3k is easier to swallow than a years worth of mortgage payments.

I hear about all those people doing 'junk yard' super chargers. Unfortunately I don't have a fab shop. And, I am nto that mechanically inclined, or at least ignorant of setting up such a system without instructions.

Curious if anyone has done that.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you, I'd love to be able to afford something like that too, but it doesn't work out that way.

The "universal" kits are just that - they'll fit a lot of things, so that means you'll have to do a lot of the work yourself, as well as probably fab or modify some parts. That doesn't even touch on the subject of tuning - that'll require the services of an expert, and possibly a dyno (not sure), but it won't be exactly cheap. Yes, the big name kits are pricey, but they've done most of the work for you already and are usually there with tech support when needed.

back in the mid 80's, several companies built small blowers for the anemic/smogged V8s. They'd put out about 6-7lbs boost and were good for around 30-40% power increase. Something like that would be great. These days, for "just a little more oomph", I'd probably go with a mild turbo.

smitty21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighhorn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I showed my wife one, and she said not until we get a house. We are working on house number 2 now and still no supercharger yet. Lol

Edelbrock has a nice set up, that I have been looking at.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

smitty21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighhorn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I showed my wife one, and she said not until we get a house. We are working on house number 2 now and still no supercharger yet. Lol

Edelbrock has a nice set up, that I have been looking at.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, despite my gorgeous looks and chiseled body, I'm not rich. I mean, I could be, but I decided it's not fair if I have everything. So, that also makes me an awesome guy too.

So, in saying this, super charger kits from ProCharger, Magneuson, etc are clocking in around $6,000 for a bolt on kit. It's pure insanity. While I would go on a beans and rice diet in order to get it, the wife is not going to agree.

I showed her a youtube video of a procharged 1500 and when I looked over to see her reaction see was looking at her feet and checking out her recent pedicure.

Has anyone tried a universal kit? They can come in around 2k. Perhaps one made for the Charger or Challenger?

I'd love to add some extra ummph. 2K or 3k is easier to swallow than a years worth of mortgage payments.

I hear about all those people doing 'junk yard' super chargers. Unfortunately I don't have a fab shop. And, I am nto that mechanically inclined, or at least ignorant of setting up such a system without instructions.

Damn, your mortgage payment is only $500/month. I don't know whether to be jealous or feel bad.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[QUOTE="17Veteran76, Unfortunately I don't have a fab shop. And, I am nto that mechanically inclined, or at least ignorant of setting up such a system without instructions.

[/QUOTE]

If you DO NOT have access to a welder/grinder i advise against trying. I have been welding and fabbing for 20 years and would probably not attempt it for the simple face that the mounting brackets are not easy to fab.
Centeifugal superchargers run off of pulleys and have to be very close to spec.
Now fabbing up a universal turbo kit is another story. I would attempt that all day long.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Have you considered a small nitrous set-up,easier to tune,and way cheaper. A blower set-up is a big headache and a lot of money to get running right. My 4X4 runs corrected 11.70's with just bolt-ons and a 75 shot of nitrous,plus the bottle lasts a long time on a 75 shot and the truck will never hurt itself

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your purpose for having a supercharger? Have you considered a Pedal Commander or a custom tune instead? Besides the super expensive “cool” response you’ll get, or if you’re going to tow a million pounds or race at the track, super chargers aren’t really worth the price or the engine risks in these trucks. I’ve had two Ford trucks that had super chargers and a Pedal Commander in my Ram and it feels the same, at least to me. I’m not trying to discourage you, just my 2 cent opinion.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is your purpose for having a supercharger? Have you considered a Pedal Commander or a custom tune instead? Besides the super expensive “cool” response you’ll get, or if you’re going to tow a million pounds or race at the track, super chargers aren’t really worth the price or the engine risks in these trucks. I’ve had two Ford trucks that had super chargers and a Pedal Commander in my Ram and it feels the same, at least to me. I’m not trying to discourage you, just my 2 cent opinion.
So you're saying that an extra 170rwhp feels the same as a pedal commander? Sounds like a Furd issue.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The last Ford trucks that were supercharged were turds. Im guessing 2007 Harley which were built at 450hp and 500tq, they never got it, nor were they much faster than the stock 5.4 available at the time, or you could go way back to the 2003 Harley or SVT which were hardly 400 HP. All that being said, a pedal commander really? Im serious, really he wants a supercharger and you say pedal commander. That hurts my heart.

If it were my money, and it might be if I can keep the new car itch away I would get the Edlebrock.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah a pedal commander is so similar to a supercharger it’s a wonder anybody wastes money on actual extra horsepower lol

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last Ford trucks that were supercharged were turds. Im guessing 2007 Harley which were built at 450hp and 500tq, they never got it, nor were they much faster than the stock 5.4 available at the time, or you could go way back to the 2003 Harley or SVT which were hardly 400 HP. All that being said, a pedal commander really? Im serious, really he wants a supercharger and you say pedal commander. That hurts my heart.

If it were my money, and it might be if I can keep the new car itch away I would get the Edlebrock.
But for what? These modern trucks already push out more than enough horses and at minimal damage to engines and gas mileage. I owned the Harley 2003 and a Roush 2006, but they were already on the truck. For what purpose would you want the Edelbrock? There is only a few circumstances you would need one. You just want to pass someone up at a red light? You pull a trailer? You just want to show off your engine bay? Track? What is it?

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah a pedal commander is so similar to a supercharger it’s a wonder anybody wastes money on actual extra horsepower lol

I Bleed Ram Trucks
I’m just sayin’. The waste is spending 6 grand for something that costs 300. Unless you need it to tow, in which case, get a tuner. There’s a reason there are so few options on superchargers for these trucks.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you're saying that an extra 170rwhp feels the same as a pedal commander? Sounds like a Furd issue.
No, I’m saying Fords need superchargers to feel like RAMs. My Ford with a supercharger was comparable to a stock Ram. With the Pedal Commander, it felt even more powerful off the line despite have less horsepower than the supercharged Fords.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know the pedal commander is all placebo, it doesn't add power, just adds a faster throttle input. Its all in your head, you can mimic this by just pushing the pedal more.

I didn't start the thread but I want one as I love the rush of power from a roots style supercharger over the top end pull of a centrifugal, but thats my preference of power adder. In all wheel drive with a supercharger this trucks are an absolute blast.

Also a supercharger or turbo on a NA vehicle does not make it tow better, it makes its technically worse for the power train as you are adding a ton of stresses to those components that under normal HP and tow ratings wouldn't be there.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much nitrous can and FBO truck handle on stock internals and heads?

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know the pedal commander is all placebo, it doesn't add power, just adds a faster throttle input. Its all in your head, you can mimic this by just pushing the pedal more.

I didn't start the thread but I want one as I love the rush of power from a roots style supercharger over the top end pull of a centrifugal, but thats my preference of power adder. In all wheel drive with a supercharger this trucks are an absolute blast.

Also a supercharger or turbo on a NA vehicle does not make it tow better, it makes its technically worse for the power train as you are adding a ton of stresses to those components that under normal HP and tow ratings wouldn't be there.
Originally superchargers on trucks were used for towing purposes. Superchargers make engines worse in general unless the engine was specifically designed to handle it. It’s always been better to get a bigger motor because there will be less issues. That’s why almost all of the SRT’s are built with bigger motors, not superchargers.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So a supercharger feels the same as a pedal commander? Never heard that one before! Lol

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Originally superchargers on trucks were used for towing purposes. Superchargers make engines worse in general unless the engine was specifically designed to handle it. It’s always been better to get a bigger motor because there will be less issues. That’s why almost all of the SRT’s are built with bigger motors, not superchargers.

Negative. These motors run just fine at 8psi. Its all on who does the tuning. Cant have an email tune to run a charger. Shoukd be dyno tuned.