Super Charger question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm worried about mine, its at 9.6:1 now, but I want to put the eagle heads on before the boost and I think I can only get it down to around 10.6:1 without spending big money on machined heads with opened chambers

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm worried about mine, its at 9.6:1 now, but I want to put the eagle heads on before the boost and I think I can only get it down to around 10.6:1 without spending big money on machined heads with opened chambers

E85 changed my life all together when tuning super high HP motors. It does such a great job keeping ping at bay, keeps the cylinder temps down, and allows more advance on timing because of those principals. Add alcohol injection on top of that and you have a fun time adding timing just to see how much it can take.

chrisp2493 thats a stout build in your signature. That cam doesnt look great for boost though or that for something else, can use a bit more overlap. If your tuner can get you to E85 tune youll lose half your fuel mileage but the safety it adds is priceless.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
E85 changed my life all together when tuning super high HP motors. It does such a great job keeping ping at bay, keeps the cylinder temps down, and allows more advance on timing because of those principals. Add alcohol injection on top of that and you have a fun time adding timing just to see how much it can take.

chrisp2493 thats a stout build in your signature. That cam doesnt look great for boost though or that for something else, can use a bit more overlap. If your tuner can get you to E85 tune youll lose half your fuel mileage but the safety it adds is priceless.

Thank you, it’s still an ongoing project but I’m pretty committed to it. I’m working on a tranny swap right now. I had Stu spec the cam for a N/A mid to high rpm power band, I can tell it lacks a touch under 3000 rpm though. Unfortunately I haven’t seen e85 in my area, and I’m already only getting 9mpg haha. My ultimate goal is a turbo setup in a year or two, possibly a twin setup if I get so bold

I Bleed Ram Trucks

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, it’s still an ongoing project but I’m pretty committed to it. I’m working on a tranny swap right now. I had Stu spec the cam for a N/A mid to high rpm power band, I can tell it lacks a touch under 3000 rpm though. Unfortunately I haven’t seen e85 in my area, and I’m already only getting 9mpg haha. My ultimate goal is a turbo setup in a year or two, possibly a twin setup if I get so bold

I Bleed Ram Trucks

2 smaller turbos can spool earlier than a super single. The question is the top end goal and plumbing limitations. Large singles are fun because they come on like a freight train of torque. If you can find E85 a bandaid is Alcohol injection, just keep the mix 50/50 or less to keep fires away.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’ve seen them done, I want my engine to look like this guys. I think he has twin 76’s
8d53ced595a871e372ed051553216d8e.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Why would you want a ram that only gets 9mpg?:artist1:

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your compound the stock loss and forced inductions loss, so thats why it seems off to you. You still lose the same 18% to the tires once it runs through the power train. One step at a time.

As well the weight has nothing to do with adding power, weight only affects what that power can do with the vehicle. Ill bet a 600HP supercharged Ram will pace or outrun a base 450 hp mustang as they will now be the same HP to weight ratio.
You couldn’t do 600 horses at the wheels safely without reinforcing or modding the engine correctly. Ram engines weren’t built to handle that kind of power.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You couldn’t do 600 horses at the wheels safely without reinforcing or modding the engine correctly. Ram engines weren’t built to handle that kind of power.

Not the point I was making but you’ll take from it whatever you want. 20 years of building and modifying motors I have a few ideas how it all works, or maybe I’ve just got lucky all this time

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So who makes a cheap-ish turbo kit that would be good to put on a daily driver and have a few extra HP when they want to play around?

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the point I was making but you’ll take from it whatever you want. 20 years of building and modifying motors I have a few ideas how it all works, or maybe I’ve just got lucky all this time
I’m not saying you don’t know what you’re doing but you should know that 600 RWHP isn’t safe for our 4th generation RAMS without expensive modifications to the engine and tranny. The superchargers that are just slapped on the engines out of the box don’t really provide the power they’re advertising to the rear wheels. The power they do provide doesn’t justify the cost of the kit. 600 hp is a fine goal but not without great expense and long term damage to engine. Like I said, unless you’re you who builds these for a living or have deep pockets, it’s not worth it in the long run.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not saying you don’t know what you’re doing but you should know that 600 RWHP isn’t safe for our 4th generation RAMS without expensive modifications to the engine and tranny. The superchargers that are just slapped on the engines out of the box don’t really provide the power they’re advertising to the rear wheels. The power they do provide doesn’t justify the cost of the kit. 600 hp is a fine goal but not without great expense and long term damage to engine. Like I said, unless you’re you who builds these for a living or have deep pockets, it’s not worth it in the long run.

My point was you keep saying trucks, it doesn’t matter it be a truck or a Miata. Power is power and add 30-50 percent more horsepower to anything your gonna notice a big difference.

As for longevity, ask any mustang guy about kenne bell. You can double the horsepower and still run over 100k miles all stock inside. You ask how? It’s all about the tune.

My truck is getting supercharged at 100k miles. I plan to tune it with some help of some hemi guys but I will primarily set it up. Most cars I’ve built high power are BMW which are a dream as they are always closed loop, and LS motors because they fit in everything. That won’t change how I tune my hemi and I place a wager now, 12 pounds of boost down low and I drive it like every light is a staging tree and it will go 100k more miles.

Also for all the old new aged hemi guys, do some research who turbo charged the new style hemi first. I’ll give you a hint it was a charger r/t and it was tuned with an SMT6 I wonder who built that car and sold it to Tim and Jeremy of custom tuning solutions to copy and sell. Hmmmmm who was that guy?

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8psi won’t get you much especially in a big slug like our trucks. Once the bypass valve kicks in, that’s all the boost you’ll get. Add a lift, heavier tires and you just make it feel like a non modded truck.
You should come take a test spin of my truck. I have all the bolt ons available without tearing into the engine with a 6inch lift running 37x13.5r20 meat... It feels FAR from stock and my plan is to throw a Whipple on it.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should come take a test spin of my truck. I have all the bolt ons available without tearing into the engine with a 6inch lift running 37x13.5r20 meat... It feels FAR from stock and my plan is to throw a Whipple on it.

Blowers are overrated, just get a pedal commander! Lol!