Super Charger question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's not mine, that's just a dyno video I found. Mines a 3rd gen with a forged stroker
I still sincerely hope your Hemi doesn’t break after you install a supercharger.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I still sincerely hope your Hemi doesn’t break after you install a supercharger.
That's why I already built a FORGED stroker. There are a ton of people running 10-15lbs on a forged hemi without issue for a few years now. You remember the Demon Hemi is the most powerful v8 ever produced. These engine will take all kinds of power when built correctly. The main weak point in the stock engines is simply weak pistons. Once those are replaced they take all kinds of abuse

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's why I already built a FORGED stroker. There are a ton of people running 10-15lbs on a forged hemi without issue for a few years now. You remember the Demon Hemi is the most powerful v8 ever produced. These engine will take all kinds of power when built correctly. The main weak point in the stock engines is simply weak pistons. Once those are replaced they take all kinds of abuse
I hope you’re right. Good luck! I’ll be watching your build.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Originally superchargers on trucks were used for towing purposes. Superchargers make engines worse in general unless the engine was specifically designed to handle it. It’s always been better to get a bigger motor because there will be less issues. That’s why almost all of the SRT’s are built with bigger motors, not superchargers.

Not always bigger but more capable. A small turbo or supercharged engine can do a lot more
8psi won’t get you much especially in a big slug like our trucks. Once the bypass valve kicks in, that’s all the boost you’ll get. Add a lift, heavier tires and you just make it feel like a non modded truck.

8psi would net over 150hp out of these pigs, likely the same or more torque depending on if its roots vs centrifugal. Every atmosphere you add doubles output minus parasitic loss. An motor is just a inefficient air pump, the more you get it the more you get out. Double the air in would double the air out. Its not an exact science but its close enough in the vehicle world.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not always bigger but more capable. A small turbo or supercharged engine can do a lot more
A lot more for what specific reason? Racing? Towing? Cool factor?

8psi would net over 150hp out of these pigs, likely the same or more torque depending on if its roots vs centrifugal. Every atmosphere you add doubles output minus parasitic loss. An motor is just a inefficient air pump, the more you get it the more you get out. Double the air in would double the air out. Its not an exact science but its close enough in the vehicle world.
8psi would net over 150hp but it would be quickly lost at the rear wheels. The only way is to up the boost at the engine but then you need to forge the pistons, built motor, possibly a new tranny to handle the boost to get you that figure safely to the rear. It would be worth the cost if you’re racing occasionally but not for daily driving. There are tunes that are much safer and cheaper that will net enough HP and won’t kill your gas mileage.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
8psi would net over 150hp but it would be quickly lost at the rear wheels. The only way is to up the boost at the engine but then you need to forge the pistons, built motor, possibly a new tranny to handle the boost to get you that figure safely to the rear. It would be worth the cost if you’re racing occasionally but not for daily driving. There are tunes that are much safer and cheaper that will net enough HP and won’t kill your gas mileage.
I literally just posted a video of dyno results showing 500 hp at the rear wheels....unless you don't understand how dyno's work either. Stock hemi's only dyno 310-330hp at the wheels

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Curious question, how many 1000 plus horsepower cars and trucks have you built in your lifetime? In the 1000hp range I have about 100, and 2000+ range about a dozen. Parasitic loss is linear based on heat not exponential so for the sake of argument on a truck you lose about 18% from the crank to the tires. So 150hp gain from a supercharger would add 123 rear horsepower. Thats a stout gain if you ask me. If you cant feel a 30% increase in power, there is something wrong.

We can get into flow rates, volumetric efficiencies, thermal loss, parasitic losses all day long but we can keep it crazy simple with the math above.

Again if you are comparing a pedal curve to a forced induction setup there is a learning curve here that might be a bit too much to overcome on a numb forum where emotion cant be conveyed and people think because they are told they are wrong they are being attacked. This is exactly the opposite of that. At the end of the day speed is determined by power to weight ratio. So a new mustang crank Hp to weight ration is about 8.5lb per HP, our trucks to compare is 12.6 lbs per hp. So to make it the same we need 150% more Hp that comes to about 600 crank HP, and thats not a hard number to get to with a Turbo or supercharger and be as fast as a Mustang 5.0. Dont overthink speed, its a measure of power moving weight. At the same time you can shed some weight of the truck remove seats, door panels, carpet, bed and so on and achieve the same speed gain without adding HP

Last edited:

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I literally just posted a video of dyno results showing 500 hp at the rear wheels....unless you don't understand how dyno's work either. Stock hemi's only dyno 310-330hp at the wheels
With a built motor, right?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With a built motor, right?

A hemi can handle it, if and only if its tuned properly. They have a short piston making the tune vital as a lean condition can quickly mess up the rings and piston. If its a fat tune to keep the cylinders cool is the key

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So 150hp gain from a supercharger would add 123 rear horsepower. Thats a stout gain if you ask me.
That doesn’t sound right.
Curious question, how many 1000 plus horsepower cars and trucks have you built in your lifetime? In the 1000hp range I have about 100, and 2000+ range about a dozen. Parasitic loss is linear not exponential so for the sake of argument on a truck you lose about 18% from the crank to the tires. So 150hp gain from a supercharger would add 123 rear horsepower. Thats a stout gain if you ask me.

Again if you are comparing a pedal curve to a forced induction setup there is a learning curve here that might be a bit too much to overcome on a numb forum where emotion cant be conveyed and people think because they are told they are wrong they are being attacked. This is exactly the opposite of that. At the end of the day speed is determined by power to weight ratio. So a new mustang crank Hp to weight ration is about 8.5lb per HP, our trucks to compare is 12.6 lbs per hp. So to make it the same we need 150% more Hp that comes to about 600 crank HP, and thats not a hard number to get to with a Turbo or supercharger and be as fast as a Mustang 5.0. Dont overthink speed, its a measure of power moving weight. At the same time you can shed some weight of the truck remove seats, door panels, carpet, bed and so on and achieve the same speed gain without adding HP
You’re talking about cars with less weight than trucks. We’re talking about trucks. Even with a turbo you lose 40-50 hp on average to the rear, more if you use a roots. And this is on cars, not trucks. Weight is going to vary on trucks because of the cab configurations.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A hemi can handle it, if and only if its tuned properly. They have a short sleeve setup making the tune vital as a lean condition can quickly mess up the rings and piston. If its a fat tune to keep the cylinders cool is the key
I never said it couldn’t handle it, I’m just saying without a lot of other upgrades it won’t last long. For people with deep pockets that’s ok.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never said it couldn’t handle it, I’m just saying without a lot of other upgrades it won’t last long. For people with deep pockets that’s ok.

I agree for once so far to you.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn’t sound right.

You’re talking about cars with less weight than trucks. We’re talking about trucks. Even with a turbo you lose 40-50 hp on average to the rear, more if you use a roots. And this is on cars, not trucks. Weight is going to vary on trucks because of the cab configurations.

Your compound the stock loss and forced inductions loss, so thats why it seems off to you. You still lose the same 18% to the tires once it runs through the power train. One step at a time.

As well the weight has nothing to do with adding power, weight only affects what that power can do with the vehicle. Ill bet a 600HP supercharged Ram will pace or outrun a base 450 hp mustang as they will now be the same HP to weight ratio.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks, cars, trains, airplanes, power boats, motor cycle, jet ski. Doesnt matter an engine is the same regardless an air pump. They might have different power curves based on tune and use but making power is all the same and performance is affected the same way.

A roots supercharger on a 400+hp motor will take about 20-30 to make that power. These are not 5000hp top fuel cars where the supercharger uses 300hp to turn.

ive built a motor to 1000 hp supercharged the 540 took 9psi to get there with a 10.8 compression and so on and so forth. Taking that same exact motor a turbo setup with that same 9psi made 78 more HP. I liked the supercharged curve better so the turbo setup was for another project.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How much nitrous can and FBO truck handle on stock internals and heads?

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There's fair number of guys running upwards of a 150 shot with no issues,but on a higher milege truck i'd only go with a 100 shot at most. A 75 shot took almost a full sec off my trucks times at the track,i also have my set-up semi-disguised ,I've had so-called nitrous guru's go over my truck looking for my kit and can't find it,even though it's right out in the open,lol

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watch the video I just posted, that IS the rear wheels. So it's actually pushing close to 600hp at the crank. Lots of hemi's survive just fine on 6-8lbs of boost. More than that and yeah you gotta build the engine. And mine is already built for boost, maybe next year and I'll be throwing down 600+ at the wheels

Guy is clueless. Guys like us that have built our own cars/trucks seem to be the only ones that understand.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks, cars, trains, airplanes, power boats, motor cycle, jet ski. Doesnt matter an engine is the same regardless an air pump. They might have different power curves based on tune and use but making power is all the same and performance is affected the same way.

A roots supercharger on a 400+hp motor will take about 20-30 to make that power. These are not 5000hp top fuel cars where the supercharger uses 300hp to turn.

ive built a motor to 1000 hp supercharged the 540 took 9psi to get there with a 10.8 compression and so on and so forth. Taking that same exact motor a turbo setup with that same 9psi made 78 more HP. I liked the supercharged curve better so the turbo setup was for another project.

Yep. High compression on a blown motor is a nono. I will never go over 9:1

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s safe as long as you tune it right E85 with higher compression is easy power. E85 runs cooler as well the extra fuel needed also helps. Ive run over 1200hp on 12:1 compression motors. You need a huge combustion chamber which makes low rpm tuning fun but the high compression can spin up a turbo so much quicker.

Forgot to add, crazy strong studs are needed to keep the heads from lifting or blowing gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500