Super Charger question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Negative. These motors run just fine at 8psi. Its all on who does the tuning. Cant have an email tune to run a charger. Shoukd be dyno tuned.
Call me crazy, but I just emailed Sean yesterday about email tuning for a Whipple. He said he can do it if I add a wideband air fuel gauge and it would take about a week. He knows his stuff and I trust him more than the jokers around here doing a Dyno tune. When I went and did my Dyno runs, the old man who does the tunes came out and looked at my truck while I was pulling out... He said "so you shift with that thing!?"... Yeah... Guess you have not tuned any modern 8 speeds... Keep your dirty mits off my tune.

So it looks like I'm inching closer to the Whipple. Looks like we are selling our house because I'm tired of fighting it. Fiance agreed to me using $10K of the sale proceeds to fix up the new garage like I have the current one. Really contemplating spending that money on a Whipple. I figure, as long as I don't bust anything on the truck, the Whipple has better resale value than throwing the money into the garage lol.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Call me crazy, but I just emailed Sean yesterday about email tuning for a Whipple. He said he can do it if I add a wideband air fuel gauge and it would take about a week. He knows his stuff and I trust him more than the jokers around here doing a Dyno tune. When I went and did my Dyno runs, the old man who does the tunes came out and looked at my truck while I was pulling out... He said "so you shift with that thing!?"... Yeah... Guess you have not tuned any modern 8 speeds... Keep your dirty mits off my tune.

So it looks like I'm inching closer to the Whipple. Looks like we are selling our house because I'm tired of fighting it. Fiance agreed to me using $10K of the sale proceeds to fix up the new garage like I have the current one. Really contemplating spending that money on a Whipple. I figure, as long as I don't bust anything on the truck, the Whipple has better resale value than throwing the money into the garage lol.
I approve of this logic....lol

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not saying you don’t know what you’re doing but you should know that 600 RWHP isn’t safe for our 4th generation RAMS without expensive modifications to the engine and tranny. The superchargers that are just slapped on the engines out of the box don’t really provide the power they’re advertising to the rear wheels. The power they do provide doesn’t justify the cost of the kit. 600 hp is a fine goal but not without great expense and long term damage to engine. Like I said, unless you’re you who builds these for a living or have deep pockets, it’s not worth it in the long run.

First, I'm not an expert, I don't build engines nor do high performance driving.
I see several issues with this: First, you're arguing with people who have done this. seems like a bad idea; they've already proven the point. You can say all day long that it doesn't work while they happily enjoy their extra power.

Are you a Dodge engineer? The how do you know what these engines are capable of handling? You use the word "safe", but how do you define it? If I get 50k out of a 600rwp engine before it blows, is that "safe"? If it explodes but doesn't kill anyone in the process, is that "safe"?

Justification is too personal an issue for you to put out a blanket statement like that. Apparently there are people that feel it is justified, otherwise they company wouldn't make the product.

Factory turbos and superchargers have never been as good as the aftermarket due to the volume of vehicles they make, regulations they have to follow, and the tolerances needed. The aftermarket will always do it better albeit on a smaller scale. And people will continue to buy them.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I'm not an expert, I don't build engines nor do high performance driving.
I see several issues with this: First, you're arguing with people who have done this. seems like a bad idea; they've already proven the point. You can say all day long that it doesn't work while they happily enjoy their extra power.

Are you a Dodge engineer? The how do you know what these engines are capable of handling? You use the word "safe", but how do you define it? If I get 50k out of a 600rwp engine before it blows, is that "safe"? If it explodes but doesn't kill anyone in the process, is that "safe"?

Justification is too personal an issue for you to put out a blanket statement like that. Apparently there are people that feel it is justified, otherwise they company wouldn't make the product.

Factory turbos and superchargers have never been as good as the aftermarket due to the volume of vehicles they make, regulations they have to follow, and the tolerances needed. The aftermarket will always do it better albeit on a smaller scale. And people will continue to buy them.
I’m not trying to undermine the experts here. I never said it doesn’t work. I’m saying it puts unwanted stress on the engine because it wasn’t designed for that. I also said 600rwhp without serious modifications to the engine will tear it up, which is what the experts here confirmed. If the goal is to get what the aftermarket superchargers are advertising to the rear wheels, then modifications to the engine is a must. Otherwise, the gains on these trucks with aftermarket superchargers is minimum and not worth the cost unless you do those modifications and up the boost.

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have sold a few cheapy ram kits (using Chinese parts.) with fuel and tuning, and you doing most of the work we get them out for the 3k mark. Just need a tuner, and tune. I dont want to get in trouble, so i cant give you any details on it. But it can be done. :)

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not trying to undermine the experts here. I never said it doesn’t work. I’m saying it puts unwanted stress on the engine because it wasn’t designed for that. I also said 600rwhp without serious modifications to the engine will tear it up, which is what the experts here confirmed. If the goal is to get what the aftermarket superchargers are advertising to the rear wheels, then modifications to the engine is a must. Otherwise, the gains on these trucks with aftermarket superchargers is minimum and not worth the cost unless you do those modifications and up the boost.

One thing that’s more important than anything else is heat. I’ve seen plenty of blown CT’s-v’s, bmw 335’s, Taurus sho with bad tunes gaining only 10% more power. Where the last cts v I tuned is over 700 rwhp on stock internals so for maths sake over 800hp crank and has 60k miles since I tuned it, and a lot of 10.9 and lower time slips so it’s drag races weekly. What keeps a motor from blowing is heat. A bad tune raises cylinder temps, boost does too but that’s to broad to get into and starts down a road of knock detonation and ping. I personally have owned a 672 hp to the wheels bmw 335 stock they make 240, that motor all stock internals also put 50k miles on it before I was offered too much money to keep it. I’ve seen a stock 335 with a generic tune that added maybe 50hp throw a rod.

You have to trust the guys who spend time working on these things and take vague ricer math out of it. Double the horsepower is a lot, but if you aren’t full throttle all day long it will last, keep an eye on air fuel ratios, knock sensors, and egt and you can go a long by way

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah ya got to trust the tuner. If soe smack tunes your car, and doesnt set the air/fuel ratio right, its toast. Then they will try to blame it on you and say something broke in your motor. Seen it before.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing that’s more important than anything else is heat. I’ve seen plenty of blown CT’s-v’s, bmw 335’s, Taurus sho with bad tunes gaining only 10% more power. Where the last cts v I tuned is over 700 rwhp on stock internals so for maths sake over 800hp crank and has 60k miles since I tuned it, and a lot of 10.9 and lower time slips so it’s drag races weekly. What keeps a motor from blowing is heat. A bad tune raises cylinder temps, boost does too but that’s to broad to get into and starts down a road of knock detonation and ping. I personally have owned a 672 hp to the wheels bmw 335 stock they make 240, that motor all stock internals also put 50k miles on it before I was offered too much money to keep it. I’ve seen a stock 335 with a generic tune that added maybe 50hp throw a rod.

You have to trust the guys who spend time working on these things and take vague ricer math out of it. Double the horsepower is a lot, but if you aren’t full throttle all day long it will last, keep an eye on air fuel ratios, knock sensors, and egt and you can go a long by way

Amen, and well said. Does anyone have dyno numbers for the pedal commander? I heard they add 100rwhp. I want to get a tune for my electric crackerbox Fan supercharger, and get max effective HP with the pedal commander:driver:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got it. Get a petal commander and a procharger.

Petal commander makes you think you have more power. Procharger delivers true top end while being gentler on the engine.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
You know the pedal commander is all placebo, it doesn't add power, just adds a faster throttle input. Its all in your head, you can mimic this by just pushing the pedal more.

I didn't start the thread but I want one as I love the rush of power from a roots style supercharger over the top end pull of a centrifugal, but thats my preference of power adder. In all wheel drive with a supercharger this trucks are an absolute blast.

Also a supercharger or turbo on a NA vehicle does not make it tow better, it makes its technically worse for the power train as you are adding a ton of stresses to those components that under normal HP and tow ratings wouldn't be there.
So a supercharger feels the same as a pedal commander? Never heard that one before! Lol

Just put a 392 gear in the ram and what a big difference for little spent and not hurt the truck and can tow much better too. On a new order truck it was 55 dollars extra....the difference over the 355 gear in old truck was huge! Not sure what it would cost to change the rear gear but it makes a difference!