Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 997 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Okay I'll run the Napa Platinum filter and the Amsoil SS 0W-20. Have to use up this oil change first. Should be able to start by mid to end summer.

$miley

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Everyone just get some test kits, they are free and no obligation. but they are nice to have on hand when you change your oil.

Tip, when you send it in tell them you don't want your personal information in the comments unless you don't mind posting that in the forum when you post your uoa. You dont have to worry about that until you send your oil in.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Hey Burla, thanks for the discussion! But Wow, I'm a little overwhelmed! lol

A little history on my trucks oil.. I ran the factory oil from 0 miles to 4200 miles, then my first oil change I used regular 5-20 pennzoil dino oil, and changed it at 7400 miles. so 2800 miles on the first oil change interval using regular pennzoil dino oil.

i then changed the oil to redline synthetic back in January 1st, and at that time the truck had 7400 miles. So, in 4.5 months time, I drove 10,000 miles on Redline oil, and those are the test results you are reading now. Thats highway driving, city driving, and of course full blast manual shift (or button shift, LOL) driving, hot rodding and full throttle passing is pretty often though, LOL.

The truck currently has 18,250 miles on it, with a new royal purple filter and redline oil @ 18,000 miles.

Yes I have a catch can I installed at 1,900 miles, and I have been emptying it about every 2-2500 miles with about the same amount of oil when i drain it. and I do keep it separate, here is from when I drain it each time, it goes into a new bottle.

333vmrs.jpg

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Signed up for my free kit and will get a sample of the bulk oil that is in my truck now and then do one after I change to Amsoil SS.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We are in the same boat, a newer engine with a couple prior oil changes but having some wear. Do the same thing you did last time and see if the wear comes down. We will see what happens

fantomII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Which OIl To Use

I guess I'm a die hard fan of Amsoil as its kept 4 Harleys going for over 200K each, without an engine rebuild and two Jeeps with over 150K miles without losing any MPG since new. As a motorcycle Safety Instructor I had to use my own bike for training and in the desert there were many 100+ degree temps and the bikes never complained or had oil loss. Same with my Jeeps and now with a new 2014 RAM Laramie, 6.7 Turbo Diesel (my first) I will continue with Amsoil as its already proven itself to me.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Okay I'll run the Napa Platinum filter and the Amsoil SS 0W-20. Have to use up this oil change first. Should be able to start by mid to end summer.

$miley

Why not run the Amsoil filter as well?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I got a sick deal on the platinum filters and I won't run my oil past 10k anyway too much temp change here. Also idle a lot because I park outside and winter here is very cold.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Found this about the a natural gas Pennzoil they are advertising now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400250728.813458.jpg

$miley

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Changed the amsoil today and sent off the sample to be tested I had 10,000 miles on it. Salesman was there and saidnit looked good and smelled good. Can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
8 quarts of Amsoil in the Roush, driving out to Vegas tomorrow for a week to see some old hot rod friends of mine.
Will be a good test to see if it improves anything.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To add to Smiley's post, if Ultra is hydrocracked it is group 3, but is a great group 3, probably even the best. Super clean and great noack. What ever the process is it ends up with oil that benefits or needs to be hydro cracked. So that is that, I still think it is top oil because of the additives, noack, and clean molecules, and I will still use it maybe in an oil change soon in my own Ram after a couple more runs of redline.

josh_graph_oils.jpg

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Burla: Thanks for your information!

I am really contemplating pouring in PUP in my new Ram for it's first Oil Change and their after.

fantomII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
On my Jeeps I tell people that I change oil religiously once a year and on my Harley's I change the oil every 20K miles. So far I've not been left along the road because of damaged engine.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I know quite a few peeps that change the harley oil every fall.....( the fresh oil s'posed to be better for sitting long winters)

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Looks like I need to get off of Mobil 1 full synth. My hemi sounds like a rattle trap when coasting in MDS mode. From skimming this 3 mile long thread I think I might switch to redline. I have a slight hemi tick too but rattle trap is solo annoying.

I need to find it at a good price now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using Tapatalk

withoutfear33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
okay quick question. I know a few people in the drag racing scene as i use to run my cobra back in the day. I know two personally (one with a 2004 cobra and one with a acura NSX both in which are turbo) both of these guys ran redline oil and after both tore down their engines to refresh / rebuild during the winter they both said the engines had way more wear then they should have. this was about 2 years ago or so and now they both ended up switching to royal purple and have had a lot better results and less wear..

i know everyone here is saying redline really quiets down the motors in these trucks and im so tempted to try it but im afraid to after seeing their results. im not really a fan of royal purple either so my question is does AMSOIL quiet the motors down like redline does? i know tons and tons of people running AMSOIL and never have i heard a complaint. IF amsoil will have the same effect on these motors and make them run smoother and quieter i will deff be making a switch asap...

if not i may break down and try redline but im really afraid to.. tired of my truck sounding like a diesel when i start it up.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
okay quick question. I know a few people in the drag racing scene as i use to run my cobra back in the day. I know two personally (one with a 2004 cobra and one with a acura NSX both in which are turbo) both of these guys ran redline oil and after both tore down their engines to refresh / rebuild during the winter they both said the engines had way more wear then they should have. this was about 2 years ago or so and now they both ended up switching to royal purple and have had a lot better results and less wear..

i know everyone here is saying redline really quiets down the motors in these trucks and im so tempted to try it but im afraid to after seeing their results. im not really a fan of royal purple either so my question is does AMSOIL quiet the motors down like redline does? i know tons and tons of people running AMSOIL and never have i heard a complaint. IF amsoil will have the same effect on these motors and make them run smoother and quieter i will deff be making a switch asap...

if not i may break down and try redline but im really afraid to.. tired of my truck sounding like a diesel when i start it up.

You are "afraid" and "really afraid" of Redline oil, I hope you don't get nightmares over it. If so you might have to change your avatar. If it ever "really really really" makes you afraid, I think you should get a restraining order against that chit :)

Anyhow, Amsoil is great stuff and it sounds like it is a good fit for you, give it a shot. It has worked to quiet some of the Rams it was used in.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Good advice, burls.........sorry to see another mobil 1 user leave, (LB), but he has his reasons as do we all for what we end up using.......I just can't see putting anything purple in my truck....can't see spending wayy too much for an oil, and can't see changing what I already know works........mobil 1 + motorkote+ change oil/filter every 5 k.

I will however spend the extra coin on the premium filters next time........

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One thing that bothers me about RP is they put a dye in the oil. There is no benefit to this and in fact maybe could cause some varnishing. Oil doesn't need to be a gimmick, just give me a good scientific formula and leave the grape dye for silly putty.