Thinking about switching to Dodge from FORD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen that quite a few people on here seem to have noticed rattling in various parts of the truck. Is this a pretty common issue? I know that more people on forums bring up problems rather than praise good things but are there any actual "widespread" issues with Rams?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Get the lowest gears (highest numerical) and get a pedal commander! Then you have the best looking truck and the likely the cheapest trim vs trim. Winning!

rblakes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen that quite a few people on here seem to have noticed rattling in various parts of the truck. Is this a pretty common issue? I know that more people on forums bring up problems rather than praise good things but are there any actual "widespread" issues with Rams?
The exhaust studs that hold the heat shield will break. Hopefully they break under warranty. My passenger side was covered, driver side waited until I was out of warranty

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The exhaust manifold bolts were so annoying when they snapped and it seems they most likely will. I replaced mine with better bolts and it shouldn't happen again. But if you get it replaced under warranty idk if it would just happen again? Since the same bolts? Idk other than that my rams been great[emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bolts built to break is a little unsettling. I appreciate the honesty though. What about this "8 speed clunk"? Another common unavoidable issue?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Hemi Tick is definitely a thing, I had it and fixed it. Many guys get it and the dealers response many times will **** you off. I don't know that a lot of guys have trouble fixing it themselves, but if it's lifter tick and you don't fix it, you can have problems downstream. Pretty frustrating. But, my last 3 Chevy's were all lemons, literally, I won a lemon law case on one, took the loss on the other 2. Every truck has their issues, but imo Ram is still the best truck, especially for the money. I like the eco boost as well, dunno which better. I find the Ram to be more comfortable, the ride and the seats. And the 8 speed is really dare I say revolutionary. I really don't like the 6 speed, but many guys on the board rave about the 8 speed.

OP
OP
S

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi Tick is definitely a thing, I had it and fixed it. Many guys get it and the dealers response many times will **** you off. I don't know that a lot of guys have trouble fixing it themselves, but if it's lifter tick and you don't fix it, you can have problems downstream. Pretty frustrating. But, my last 3 Chevy's were all lemons, literally, I won a lemon law case on one, took the loss on the other 2. Every truck has their issues, but imo Ram is still the best truck, especially for the money. I like the eco boost as well, dunno which better. I find the Ram to be more comfortable, the ride and the seats. And the 8 speed is really dare I say revolutionary. I really don't like the 6 speed, but many guys on the board rave about the 8 speed.

What's the Hemi tick?
All trucks have their issues. I had minor ones with the F150. I'm still stuck in between both trucks right now because I like different things about both of them. But if the Ram has several issues then I might lean towards going with another F150

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Bolts built to break is a little unsettling. I appreciate the honesty though. What about this "8 speed clunk"? Another common unavoidable issue?

Not common at all, my 8sp works flawless, I have no rattles, no clunks ,no ticks and no issues.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've got the 3.92 setup and knock on wood, no clunk. No rattles either at 20,000 miles. I had a 2010 Ford with the 4.6 3 valve and new (at that time) 6 speed. Coming to a light one day that trans banged so hard I thought I was rear ended. Scared the crap out of me.

Most of these transmission issues in any brand are software related. The 8 speed is a great unit. Compare brands by forum hopping and you'll see a lot more happy campers here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's the Hemi tick?
All trucks have their issues. I had minor ones with the F150. I'm still stuck in between both trucks right now because I like different things about both of them. But if the Ram has several issues then I might lean towards going with another F150

google it. So many hemi's have a knocking sound there is a name for it. I'm not sure the %, my guess would probably be 5%. Most Hemi's don't have this.
The forum has done a ton of work on this, many threads try search. Most ticks are resolved with different oils or fixing manifold. Most guys just use it as an opportunity to move over to headers or a high end high moly oil like Redline.

As long as your narrowed choices are Ram Hemi or Ford eco, I would say you can't go wrong.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The exhaust manifold bolts were so annoying when they snapped and it seems they most likely will. I replaced mine with better bolts and it shouldn't happen again. But if you get it replaced under warranty idk if it would just happen again? Since the same bolts? Idk other than that my rams been great[emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had mine warranted before they broke. Then about 50k later they broke on passenger side and then another 5k after that they broke on the drivers side. I paid to have each side fixed new bolts and manifolds on both sides. Fast forward about another 50k and passenger side is doing it again. The bolts suck but I am sure they break because the manifold warps so bad. This is common problem on many engines from what I understand.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Yes pretty common on the GM 5.3 also.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
if you're staying in the 1500/150 arena,you can't go wrong with either.my last truck was an f150 fx4 lariat.i really liked that truck and it served me well for 10 years,but my truck needs changed and i started looking at 2500/250 models with solid front axles.i almost bought an f250 s/cab sb 4x4 until i drove the ram crew cab slt 4x4.it was a little more $ but the cc sold me.actually it sold the wife first.she liked that is wasn't as trucky?? as the ford interior. rams have their share of quirks but all trucks do.and you can't beat that hemi.a lot of guys **** all over fords on this forum,but if you look closely,a good # of them have owned maybe 2 trucks in their lives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do Rams generally have a lower resale value compared to other trucks?

Thinking that it may be better to do another 2 year lease instead of purchase and wait for the new redesign of the Rams in 2019. What do you guys think?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I do not know much about re-sale as I typically drive a vehicle into the ground

It all depends, if you like 4th gen buy it, I love the 4th gen look.

Not sure what the 5th gen will have in store for us.

I have a buddy who has a Ford, he really loves it and it it is a dam nice truck, but I do not think it is as comfortable and the fit and finish IMO is not quite as tight

I come form a GM background so I do not have a lot to pull on for advice other than I love my slightly modified 2015 1500 Outdoorsman

If you go with the Ram get the 3.92 gear , not convinced the upgraded audio is worth it, In the process of upgrading my speakers.

Good luck what ever truck you decide on :)

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
my opinion goes like this, I have purchased numerous Mustang Gt's including the fabled GT500 and loved them all. I then got this thing called the Dodge/Ram itch and since 2010 I have purchased 1 SRT8 Challenger and 4 RAM rcsb including the last being the R/T with a arms length list of mods. I have yet to buy a rcsb from the other two companies because nothing looks/performs like my 15 R/T. Happy hunting.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I left my 2015 f150 for numerous reasons. I picked up a Ram 1500 and couldnt be happier. I have no regrets. Don't get me wrong I loved the look of my Ford. I just domt think ford has the quality anymore.

Same user name over at f150forum, you can scan through that and see what I'm talking about.
Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That gas turbo engine on any truck is just a nightmare in my eyes (except diesel because that is proven to be an engine that last a long time).

Ram will eventually have a turbo engine too...which I'm not going to be to happy because 2020 would be the time, I will start looking for a truck. I have no problems getting a v6 without a turbo, but I would rather get a v8.

(P.s...since moving on from my ram to a charger, I'm more open to getting a midsize truck, but if I had to go with a full size besides ram, it would be ford)
sent from my phone

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm one of those people but I'm my case is absolutely something that is ring around and I just can't find it. It's not a quality issue. And my truck is 6 years old and 75k miles.. very solid

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do Rams generally have a lower resale value compared to other trucks?

Thinking that it may be better to do another 2 year lease instead of purchase and wait for the new redesign of the Rams in 2019. What do you guys think?
I would take the last year of any Gen truck over the first year of a new Gen truck. To much new stuff that can and will have kinks to work out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk