towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monkeyman76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Be careful with such a big trailer. The dealer will try to sell you saying its 1/2 ton capable but the safe bet is to pull with 3/4 ton. I bought a 32 ft tt with similar weights and my 1/2 ton silverado struggled even after all the mods. (Add a leaf, air bags, etc) the best thing I did was upgrade to a ram 2500. Now I have no worries. And I even get good fuel mileage. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Everything outside of a good no sway WDH set up & optimized at a tripple scale is a one percent solution kind of thing.

Check out the recent pics in the "what's the biggest thing you towed with your 1500" sticky thread at the top of this the tow haul section.

RichieRich3030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would look at Ultra Light Aluminum framed TTs. They are significantly lighter allowing room for more length. I tow my 15 Passport 3180 with no issues. I will tell you though, my truck's towing ability was the single most important factor in shopping for the TT.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be careful with such a big trailer. The dealer will try to sell you saying its 1/2 ton capable but the safe bet is to pull with 3/4 ton. I bought a 32 ft tt with similar weights and my 1/2 ton silverado struggled even after all the mods. (Add a leaf, air bags, etc) the best thing I did was upgrade to a ram 2500. Now I have no worries. And I even get good fuel mileage. Good luck.

what ? Your profile says you have a 5.7, 2500 5.7 ?

Monkeyman76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I do now. I got rid of the 1/2 ton Silverado.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I did the same thing. My 1500 was rated to pull my 8000# trailer and stability was not the issue. I needed more spring rate to level the trailer so I put the TLC air bag system on. Even with minimal pressures the ride was so harsh I thought the dash was going to fall out on the floor. Took the bags off and went with the variable weight coils. With the trailer on I was sitting on the bump stops. All this with the WDH adjusted properly. Ended up buying the 2500 and never looked back. Even within the towing range of the 1500 it was far from optimal.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Sandawilliams I don't know you but that story raises my bs flag. What exactly was low pressure in your TLC bags to make it ride so harsh? Mine never have & you see my truck with a pair of 33s in picture sticky. Did you have some crazy tongue weight? You say you then used stronger springs & it still sat on the bump stops. Are you sure this was a 30' TT because I do it everyday from manufacturers to dealership around the country and have never heard of such a thing. What you describe sounds more like trying to do a bunk house trailer or house trailer.

All that said I agree with the general premise that a HD would be a better tool for the job of taking a 30' TT camping with the family. Not as much for OPs 3.21 gears but for the overall platform of the 1500.