Trade In Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think some people are misinterpreting a deposit on a factory build versus a deposit to hold a truck that is already built. I know that my dealerships around here (SW PA) require a non-refundable deposit on a customer specified build.

This being said, in regards to the original question:

More than likely, they are going to low-ball your trade. It puts you, the customer, in a bad spot because the dealership has something to hold over your head. "we built this truck for you... don't like it, you're out of $1,000." When you order a truck from a dealership, you really don't have any kind of negotiating tactics because you have a non-refundable deposit in as well as they KNOW you aren't going to find the truck at another dealership because, you're ordering it. Best thing I can tell you to try to save money is when you talk about the interest rate on the loan (if you're financing). There's always TWO deals that happen during a vehicle purchase.... the amount of money on the vehicle and the APR on the loan. I ALWAYS reject the first offer on BOTH. If you've got good/great credit, you can probably negotiate on the interest rate.... but again, hard to tell because it's an ordered truck and that puts you on a tough spot to negotiate. I hope this helps!!

Adam

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Negotiate on trade value just like you negotiate on everything else on truck purchase like everyone said. When I walked to buy my new Sport (Sticker 63k, out the door taxes in 45k FWIW) they started off by offering me 4500 for my existing truck. It came up to 6500 almost immediately after saying I'd be leaving, ending up around 7k which with tax savings almost equalled private party value and no hassle dealing with used car buyers.

my question is what the hell did you buy to get a 63k sticker price on a sport?

turboguy327

Reaction score
I've always pretended that I didn't have a trade in until the price for the truck was agreed upon. That way they can't play with any numbers to jack with you and rip you off.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
OP i agree with others. first you need to try another dealer. i have ordered cars before and never had to put a deposit down. they also (like someone else stated) gave me a trade value if no damage occurred when i ordered. the only thing that would change my price is if the rebate got better they would honor those ones instead of the ones there were when i ordered.

Also OP if you are "holding out" for 18-20% off msrp you will not get your special order. dealer discount based on how long its been on the lot for. oldest inventory=deeper discount. on a special order you will basically be playing with what ever chrysler is giving for rebates at the time

Your second paragraph is incorrect. At Dennis Dillon you get the same deep discounts on ordered trucks as you would on a truck sitting on the lot. It's one small reason DD is one of the highest volume Ram dealers in the country. I pump up DD on a lot of threads. It's because they do things right and give a great customer buying experience. No ******** from them.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my question is what the hell did you buy to get a 63k sticker price on a sport?

Was wondering the same thing. Never seen a sport with a sticker that high.

And his profile says Colorado.