Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed trans. Decided to change out the trans fluid as my buddy got a discount on some he bought. Didnt replace the filter. Shifted through the gears. Only took me 4 quarts instead of the 9 I thought it needed. Now my troubles start. When I accelerate hard from 0-40 I hear a very loud whinning noise. In the mornings I can feel the transmission slipping just once or twice. After I drive it for a bit it does it rarely. Any idea if something is wrong? I dont want to find out Im driving around with a messed up trans. Thanks in advance

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Did you do the long step by step procedure needed to do a fluid change on the ZF? And what you did is not a flush, just a “change”

A flush is done by a machine and the fluid is forced through the system with new fluid.

I do not remember the amount needed for your trans but if you say it is supposed to be 9 .......and you stopped at 4 ........ somthing happened. Do not drive it until you get this right.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with above posting, the full flush requires specialized equipment. You possibly dislodged some debris that is now causing problems. To prevent damage, I would suggest an immediate visit to a reputable shop and have the system completely flushed and replace filter.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you did a drain and refill, which is OK and might account for the 4 vs 9 quarts.

BUT you need to be 100% sure to use the CORRECT fluid. It aint cheap, so you would know if you bought it.

I agree with previous posts - take it to a pro. Flatbed it there, if necessary.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed trans. Decided to change out the trans fluid as my buddy got a discount on some he bought. Didnt replace the filter. Shifted through the gears. Only took me 4 quarts instead of the 9 I thought it needed. Now my troubles start. When I accelerate hard from 0-40 I hear a very loud whinning noise. In the mornings I can feel the transmission slipping just once or twice. After I drive it for a bit it does it rarely. Any idea if something is wrong? I dont want to find out Im driving around with a messed up trans. Thanks in advance
Probably did it wrong, its not exactly the simplest procedure. Was the truck level off the ground when you did it? Fluid doesnt matter so much, it calls for the ZF fluid which is very expensive but many people get away with using the valvoline maxlife with hundreds of thousands of miles on the og trans

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. Make sure you used the correct fluid. Not all ATF is the same. Not talking about just the name brand, but there are specific ATFs for different makes and styles of transmissions that has to do with the friction modifiers and other additives.
2. Make sure you checked the level using the correct procedure. Again, not exactly sure on this transmission but automatics are usually sensitive in regards to being level, whether the engine should be running, what gear they are in, and what temperature. I did the 100k trans fluid change on my Chevy Malibu awhile back. There is a huge difference in fluid level between having the engine off and having it running.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If the unit was functioning 100% normal before this service was done, you put back the same amount of fluid you took out AND you used a suitable for ZF8 use ATF, this "flush" didn't cause the issue. We're missing all the facts.

For sure it's an 8spd (dial shift) as opposed to the 6spd (column shift)?

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What tron67j said and ASAP.. Something seems fishy..

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the unit was functioning 100% normal before this service was done, you put back the same amount of fluid you took out AND you used a suitable for ZF8 use ATF, this "flush" didn't cause the issue. We're missing all the facts.

For sure it's an 8spd (dial shift) as opposed to the 6spd (column shift)?
Yes 8 speed dial shift lol. I went to get the fluid at the dealership also

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, take my input with a grain of salt....since I haven't been rebuilding trannies for a long time. But:

Didnt replace the filter.

WHY didn't you replace the filter??? This is the primary reason to crack open a transmission. It's basically a hydraulic system. A hydraulic system needs it's filter changed way before the hydraulic fluid (i.e. tranny fluid) needs to be changed. Every time I decided to break into a transmission for anything (rebuilds, modifying, etc), I always made sure that transmission had a new, fresh filter to pick up any debris that was dislodged from me playing with it.

It certainly does sound like you have dislodged or jammed something in the transmission (e.g. valve). Have it towed to the nearest shop to save it, or else you'll be spending much much more for a new transmission.

jeh0872

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing that concerns me is that it says you did NOT change the filter. A clogged filter could be causing you the issues you are having.

jeh0872

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, take my input with a grain of salt....since I haven't been rebuilding trannies for a long time. But:

WHY didn't you replace the filter??? This is the primary reason to crack open a transmission. It's basically a hydraulic system. A hydraulic system needs it's filter changed way before the hydraulic fluid (i.e. tranny fluid) needs to be changed. Every time I decided to break into a transmission for anything (rebuilds, modifying, etc), I always made sure that transmission had a new, fresh filter to pick up any debris that was dislodged from me playing with it.

It certainly does sound like you have dislodged or jammed something in the transmission (e.g. valve). Have it towed to the nearest shop to save it, or else you'll be spending much much more for a new transmission.

I heard these had 2 trans filters to change. Is this accurate?

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Do you think I should trust a delership with the job or should I go to a place that specializes in transmissions? I Kind of dont trust other shops as everyone claims there is a special process.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A repair shop with a good warranty on their repairs. Tranny shops usually have good transmission technicians. They have seen a lot of problems associated with them and can track down the problem faster, IMO. Dealer mechanics are too quick to say: "it needs to be rebuilt/replaced".

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need to find the you tube that shows how to do this properly. You need to Jack up the rear to get the trans level. Then you need to check the level. I am also wondering if you used the correct fluid.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the simple stuff first before going to a shop.........make sure the fluid level was checked correctly and at the right level and double-check the correct fluid was used. Just because you bought the fluid at a dealer doesn't guarantee they gave you the right stuff! I've been to some dealers with really good and knowledgeable parts guys, and I've been to some where I swear you could ask for blinker fluid and they would go back in the stockroom trying to find it.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will also state it's unlikely that simply changing the fluid, assuming the correct fluid and level was used, will cause a sudden issue in the transmission. If just changing the fluid somehow causes debris to break loose and clog the filter than there was something seriously wrong with the transmission before hand.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will also state it's unlikely that simply changing the fluid, assuming the correct fluid and level was used, will cause a sudden issue in the transmission. If just changing the fluid somehow causes debris to break loose and clog the filter than there was something seriously wrong with the transmission before hand.
The whine he mentioned is what makes me suspicious. A simple slipping of the gears could indicate just not enough fluid, true. The whining could also be an indicator that he got something in the valve body to jam up valves (assuming that there is something of a valve body in today's trannies). You'd be astounded how easily you can get something running through the system after disturbing the pan. A piece of a clutch ring is always waiting for a chance to jam a valve. It just needs to find a path.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank