Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard these had 2 trans filters to change. Is this accurate?
I have no idea. Never cracked any of these newer transmissions open. When I was doing it, the 700R4 had been out for a few years.

Last edited:

senator49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A family member that has been in the business for more than 40 years told me not to change the trans fluid unless absolutely necessary. New fluid is hard on the clutches. Better to put back in the old fluid if you still have it and like radiator fluid for these vehicles now days you must use the right stuff and it differs from year to year. If you do change the fluid replace the filter too.

RJM1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sounds like you need to replace filter and make sure the proper fluid is put back in. I believe these trans units being used now are so called sealed units with only a plug to check level. Start from scratch and let everyone know the outcome. Good luck!

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
We can speculate all we want on this one. Slipping is either low fluid or completely wrong ATF, the knowledge is in the search button and the fact is the OP isn’t asking the right questions and is putting an $8K maintenance component in the hands of the wrong people.

This is really a prime reason FCA engineers sat in a room and placed “lifetime fluid” on the PM. Why you wouldn’t replace a break in interval filter during a lube change is beyond fathom.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
This
You need to find the you tube that shows how to do this properly. You need to Jack up the rear to get the trans level. Then you need to check the level. I am also wondering if you used the correct fluid.
This is a link to a video that does a pretty good job of explaining the process you need to go through to change the fluid in the ZF 8 speed. There is annoying (IMO) music constantly playing in the background but it shows how to do it correctly.

Take a look. It's what convinced me NOT to do this myself!

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
BTW, the fact that you only go 4 quarts in there pretty much guarantees you didn't refill it correctly.

Last edited:

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are some things that only a dealer should do... this being one of them. Never ever just change fluid without changing the filters. You might was well have pissed that money down the drain. Just because it seems like a good idea doesn’t mean you should do it. There is a reason they don’t have a dipstick on the ZF transmission.... u don’t need to be messing with it.

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright guys I took it in and its ******. Im not sure if I did it with the flush or if it was like that before hand its going to need to be rebuilt. I will still take it to the dealer next time when it comes to important stuff like this. Trying to save money probably cost me more.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Oh man, that sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that.

I was going to suggest that you watch the you tube videos and then buy the correct fluid and new filters and start from scratch and do the job over to see what you have to work with.

If you have the technical skills and do the research, there's no reason you can't service this trans.... and you should service it regularly.

Ask some folks who have replaced failed expensive PTOs in Ford AWD vehicles that are supposed to be sealed/lifetime fluid how that worked out for them?

I do not reccomend flushing any auto that has a lot of miles on it/ never been serviced as that can cause a failure.

I do drain and refills. My wife's 16 equinox has a non serviceable, internal trans filter. To replace you have to split the case. Let your trans fluid go too long and get too dirty and plug that filter and the trans will be coming out for a rebuild. At 30k miles, the atf in her car was nearly black and she's not hard on it at all. These newer vehicles are hard on fluids due to increased operating temps to meet emissions standards. Yes, newer synthetic fluids are better than what we had years ago, but they still get beat up by all that heat.

I service all of my automatic transmissions every 30k and have had very few transmission issues over the years. Cheap insurance to me, considering what new automatic cost these days.

Yes, if you don't know what your doing don't touch it... but if you have the skill and knowledge, there's no reason not to.

Just my .02.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This

This is a link to a video that does a pretty good job of explaining the process you need to go through to change the fluid in the ZF 8 speed. There is annoying (IMO) music constantly playing in the background but it shows how to do it correctly.

Take a look. It's what convinced me NOT to do this myself!

Its not that hard, just time consuming....at this point all 3 of my vehicles have "lifetime" transmissions. I will probably do my oldest vehicle first to sorta get used to it (its a G37 so its low to the ground, not nearly as convenient as the RAM!)

I have MaxCare Lifetime on my truck, so that complicates things:

Do I really leave it "lifetime" and pray that if (when?) it grenades, FCA holds up their end of the bargain?

Or do I change (or have it changed) at about 60K (ZFs mileage recommendation)

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not that hard, just time consuming....at this point all 3 of my vehicles have "lifetime" transmissions. I will probably do my oldest vehicle first to sorta get used to it (its a G37 so its low to the ground, not nearly as convenient as the RAM!)

I have MaxCare Lifetime on my truck, so that complicates things:

Do I really leave it "lifetime" and pray that if (when?) it grenades, FCA holds up their end of the bargain?

Or do I change (or have it changed) at about 60K (ZFs mileage recommendation)

Chris,
A buddy of mine's uncle bought his Ram and then bought the MaxCare Lifetime Warranty. At 128,000 his oil pump failed and the engine overheated, threw a rod and because of the intense overheating cooked the 8 speed trans. He took it in and the dealership, without question, replaced the engine and transmission and he paid his $100 deductible and drove out with the vehicle. That was enough to sell me on buying a MaxCare Warranty on my 2018.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright guys I took it in and its ******. Im not sure if I did it with the flush or if it was like that before hand its going to need to be rebuilt. I will still take it to the dealer next time when it comes to important stuff like this. Trying to save money probably cost me more.
Really sorry to hear that. It hurts when best intentions backfire in your face. It doesn't matter now if it was you or the tranny that caused the issue. No use crying over spilled transmission fluid, so to speak. Chalk it up to another life lesson.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really sorry to hear that. It hurts when best intentions backfire in your face. It doesn't matter now if it was you or the tranny that caused the issue. No use crying over spilled transmission fluid, so to speak. Chalk it up to another life lesson.

True....but that is an expensive lesson!!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Filter Always needs to be changed, Remember fluid is sucked up by the pump from the bottom of the Pan, Clogged filter or low on fluid thats why you got that whine it was starving for fluid, Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
This post lost me at "I FLUSHED MY TRANSMISSION AND REFILLED WITHOUT CHANGING THE FILTER"

I almost cant believe what i am reading......