Transmission Temps 2014 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston Kerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Question for guys,

Does anyone know the operational transmission temps for these 4th gen trucks.? I have a 2014 ram 1500, and I am seeing some say 190 degrees at 70 80mph is normal, then I'm seeing some say 240 degrees at highway speeds is normal at the same time 240-250 degrees is to hot.

trans temps in my truck got up to 268 degrees the other day, not towing anything! on the highway cruising about
65-70mph went to get over into the fast lane accelerated so the truck down shifted and I swear it felt like the trans dropped out from underneath the truck, trans was screaming, like this whining/ humming sound whenever I would try to pick up speed.

Now, granted, I live in Texas, DFW area and it's been hot as f******* balls outside, that week all this happened it was triple digits outside, 103-108 degrees. Idk if that had anything to do with it but I've babying it.

I did change the trans fluid, pan and filter, put the zf8 trans fluid that is calls for. I still see temps get out to about 215-220 but I really haven't driven the truck long enough to see if it actually will get back up to those critical temps again. I'm kinda afraid too, to be honest.

I've looked online and tried to do some research to see what the actual operational temps are while driving.

I appreciate any help!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems pretty clear that the thermostat in the thermal management unit on the transmission is failing. Unfortunately you cannot buy just the thermostat, but you can eliminate it. Revmax sells a kit that works, but I sell a part that does the same thing cheaper and easier.

Here is a long thread with lots of information about it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Question for guys,

Does anyone know the operational transmission temps for these 4th gen trucks.? I have a 2014 ram 1500, and I am seeing some say 190 degrees at 70 80mph is normal, then I'm seeing some say 240 degrees at highway speeds is normal at the same time 240-250 degrees is to hot.

trans temps in my truck got up to 268 degrees the other day, not towing anything! on the highway cruising about
65-70mph went to get over into the fast lane accelerated so the truck down shifted and I swear it felt like the trans dropped out from underneath the truck, trans was screaming, like this whining/ humming sound whenever I would try to pick up speed.

Now, granted, I live in Texas, DFW area and it's been hot as f******* balls outside, that week all this happened it was triple digits outside, 103-108 degrees. Idk if that had anything to do with it but I've babying it.

I did change the trans fluid, pan and filter, put the zf8 trans fluid that is calls for. I still see temps get out to about 215-220 but I really haven't driven the truck long enough to see if it actually will get back up to those critical temps again. I'm kinda afraid too, to be honest.

I've looked online and tried to do some research to see what the actual operational temps are while driving.

I appreciate any help!
Did you jack the truck up till the pan rail was level when you refilled the transmission.These are the instructions that come with a brand new truck 8 speed,and they specifically say to level the pan rail,not the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
P

preston Kerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Seems pretty clear that the thermostat in the thermal management unit on the transmission is failing. Unfortunately you cannot buy just the thermostat, but you can eliminate it. Revmax sells a kit that works, but I sell a part that does the same thing cheaper and easier.

Here is a long thread with lots of information about it.
Sweet, send me a link to your part. Also, do you have video instructions on the install?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sweet, send me a link to your part. Also, do you have video instructions on the install?
Is your truck 4X4,or 2wd,on the 4X4's it's easier to unbolt the front driveshaft to get at the plug where the thermostat is,if your truck is 2wd,you're way ahead of the game,as you don't have a driveshaft in the way. Then unbolt the shift linkage so you have more working room,then just remove the snap ring and pull the plug out,remove thermostat,install Jesse's bypass in it's place,re-install snap ring,bolt shift linkage back on,re-install driveshaft and go for a test drive.Once you crawl under your truck,it becomes pretty easy to see where the plug is,and what is entailed in removing it.

OP
OP
P

preston Kerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Is your truck 4X4,or 2wd,on the 4X4's it's easier to unbolt the front driveshaft to get at the plug where the thermostat is,if your truck is 2wd,you're way ahead of the game,as you don't have a driveshaft in the way. Then unbolt the shift linkage so you have more working room,then just remove the snap ring and pull the plug out,remove thermostat,install Jesse's bypass in it's place,re-install snap ring,bolt shift linkage back on,re-install driveshaft and go for a test drive.Once you crawl under your truck,it becomes pretty easy to see where the plug is,and what is entailed in removing it.
It’s a 2wd. When you say install Jesse’s bypass you are referring to the Plate from Revmax correct? Or are we talking about another option?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It’s a 2wd. When you say install Jesse’s bypass you are referring to the Plate from Revmax correct? Or are we talking about another option?
Totally differant.Caulk04/Jesse's bypass just replaces the thermostat.
Give up on the Rev Max kit,and get one of Jesse's bypasses.
Unless you install the complete Rev Max kit,you'll burn up your transmission,regardless what they say about options 1 and 2 in their instructions.
Both CrazyKid and i have pointed that out to RevMax but i think they still have it listed in their instructions
Read through these 2 threads,you'll see they're not really that similiar.
Both are long threads,but there's some good info in both,and it's worth spending the time to read through both threads.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can't believe I missed that thread, best of ram forum right there, we should have a best of ram forum must reads section. Wow, that is all you have to do to take the temp out of the 8 speed? That is as easy as bypass the rfe with that late model rfe janking shti. Where do you get Jesse's bypass, sorry I missed that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I can't believe I missed that thread, best of ram forum right there, we should have a best of ram forum must reads section. Wow, that is all you have to do to take the temp out of the 8 speed? That is as easy as bypass the rfe with that late model rfe janking shti. Where do you get Jesse's bypass, sorry I missed that.
Jesse's / Caulk04's bypass is even easier to install then the thermostat bypass block on the RFE's Mike,lol
Jesse's bypass is the best thing going for the 8 speeds. I was way past going back to it,by the time he had his bypass in production,as i'd already deleted everything,but in hindsight,both CrazyKid and i should of waited a couple months,lol.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@preston Kerry , to answer your question, it seems like the 5.7 L Hemi guys with the 8-speed ZF 8HP70 transmission see "normal" temperatures from 175-195 F at steady-state when driving unloaded. Mine used to be rock-steady at 185 F, until the heat exchanger thermostat decided it had shy bladder syndrome and stopped sending fluid up to the radiator area to cool down. I was seeing temperature spikes up to 230 F and climbing fast before I'd pull over and let it cool down. And although it started intermittent, it eventually became a certainty once the transmission was warmed up and I took it over 55 mph. I had to take back country roads everywhere so I could pull over at a moment's notice to let it chill out. I monitored my transmission temperature like a hawk.

I installed Jesse's (@caulk04 ) thermostat replacement part, which basically acts as a thermostat that always sends fluid up to the radiator area, instead of only once it gets hot enough. I no longer have the transmission temperature spikes, and can make long drives with peace of mind. It's been a lifesaver for people like me, and it could be a solution for your problem as well, if it's the same.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Agreed ^^ I too installed the @caulk04 trans cooler bypass mod and my transmission runs appreciably cooler.

I also recommend that if you're installing this mod, also do a transmission fluid and filter change as well. This way you are starting off with fresh fluid and filter that will see less heat than just doing the mod but having the heated fluid and filter pushing old worn fluid around, still.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Agreed ^^ I too installed the @caulk04 trans cooler bypass mod and my transmission runs appreciably cooler.

I also recommend that if you're installing this mod, also do a transmission fluid and filter change as well. This way you are starting off with fresh fluid and filter that will see less heat than just doing the mod but having the heated fluid and filter pushing old worn fluid around, still.
I'm planning on doing the drain n' fill on my rig after vacation. I don't want to drive 1500 miles through sparsely populated parts of the world and find out I have a leaky transmission pan. I want to fight that kind of problem on my home turf.

The bypass is working wonderfully in my '14. 143F is the highest temp I've seen thus far. Unloaded and 93F ambient. When I go on vacation I'll be pulling a small boat. I don't expect it to have a big impact on temps though.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question for guys,

I appreciate any help!
To answer the original post. 240-250 is too hot, especially for any extended periods of time and just for cruising down the highway. If it spiked to 240 just for a minute while climbing a grade or really hard use I wouldn't worry too much. But if it's getting to 240 and staying there that indicates an issue. If you got to 268 for any period of time that also indicates an issue. In general a factory trans setup should run close to what the engine operating temperature is......that's simply because the trans cooler is either part of the engine radiator or sits right up against it and therefore will want to run the same temperature as the engine.
What did the fluid look like you drained out? Was it really dark or black and smell bad? If you got up to the 240+ degree range for very short periods of time and have since got the fluid changed I wouldn't worry a ton, but if you have been running that way for awhile it could have caused damage. Not just saying the trans is acting up, but any extended time at high temps could reduce the life expectancy of it. It's also not really the fact the mechanical parts of the trans are hot but that the fluid is burnt and not lubricating the trans properly.

Ram150022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get ahold of me in a direct message
Hi Jesse, I have a 2014 with the 845re, do you have anything that will cool the tranny temps about twenty degrees or so. With nothing being towed, I see 187 at 75 mph on a 91deg. Florida day. I know that is not to hot, but would like to be about twenty degrees cooler. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

OP
OP
P

preston Kerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L

What's up guys, just wanted to give an update on the install with the part I got from @caulk04 . I finally was able to get around to it, I've driving my motorcycle a lot to work.​

The install went fine though, the biggest struggle was getting the snap ring back on because the part kept wanting to pop back out. With a little bit of finagling and timing I was able to get it back on and seated properly.

Took the truck for a spin and I wasn't able to touch 200 degrees. 110 mph down the highway and the highest I saw was 167 degrees trans temps after driving around for 20 minutes, slowed down and temps dropped to around 138 140. And that is with temperatures in Texas at 101 degrees. I did a rolling 60 to 100 mph Trans temps got up to 167 degrees, slowed down and instantly drops in temps.

I did a 0 to 110 mph and again trans temps touched 167 degrees and dropped once I started slowing down.

When I'm cruising the city interacting with traffic, lights and such the trans temps do jump around by a degree or two but nothing to crazy. Is that something you guys experience as well?

I say for everything is allgood and I can't thank you guys enough for all the advice and tips and big special thanks to Jesse for the part!! Truck is running good and I definitely recommend to anyone that is experiencing this issue.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I haven't driven the truck in bitter cold yet. (we haven't had any.) Thus far though with temps in the 30's/40's the ZF seems happy and continues to shift well with the caulk bypass doodad/Maxlife combo.

Seeing trans temps hovering around 135F generally regardless of ambient temp after the truck is warmed up.

No 110 MPH driving though. :)