Uconnect 8.4 & 8.4an update - 17.11.07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpasetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I got my email a couple days ago... Then today when I pulled in to work and turned my engine off (still in run) I got the message. I couldn't wait 20 mins in my truck so I postponed it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hasn't happened yet but I expect it will happen at the worst possible time. Murphy's law again.

I guess the geniuses at FCA figure that we all have nothing better to do then wait around for an update to run.

There's gotta be a better way.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hasn't happened yet but I expect it will happen at the worst possible time. Murphy's law again.

I guess the geniuses at FCA figure that we all have nothing better to do then wait around for an update to run.

There's gotta be a better way.
When I got back in my truck after work it started.... Finished before I got home

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Is everyone generally having problems with this update?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got in the Charger - still nothing in the Ram. Probably will update one day before Irma destroys the truck lol.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Wonder if they will release apple car play / android auto in an update like this. In the video link in the email, the head unit has the android auto and apple car play icons.

I read in one of the erags that android auto would only be available in the '18 (maybe '17) and later models.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I have software version 16.33.29. I also have drag/drop icons, XM album art on the screen, etc. Best I can tell I have everything that the upgrade is supposed to offer. Not sure what the deal is.

doublestack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have those features. I'm hoping the update fixes my phone memory (favorites). They keep deleting every time I restart the car. I was told Apple Car Play and Android Auto will not work with my 2017 Ram head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitewhale27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Issues with my uconnect 8.4Ra

I purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT used. The original owner had the radio upgraded from the 5.0 to the 8.4RA, however because the vehicle does not have the assist button on the rear view mirror, i cannot create a uconnect account. I spent hours on phone with uconnect access and and ram, I am told because i dont have this assist button on the mirror no way to create account.

Makes no sense of why ram would allow an upgrade radio in a vehicle that cant use its full features.

Additionally I'm have clock and navigation issues. clock loses 3 minutes a day and navigation works for about an hour and then ends up of course.

Oh and no way to reset this radio because the slt package doesnt have hot and cold buttons its a dial. I also tried to use the 5.0 reset instructions (hold vr and phone icon on steering whell. however this doesnt work.

This is my first ram product and probably my last....

Thanks for any help!!!Fustrated here!!

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 SLT used. The original owner had the radio upgraded from the 5.0 to the 8.4RA, however because the vehicle does not have the assist button on the rear view mirror, i cannot create a uconnect account. I spent hours on phone with uconnect access and and ram, I am told because i dont have this assist button on the mirror no way to create account.

Makes no sense of why ram would allow an upgrade radio in a vehicle that cant use its full features.

Additionally I'm have clock and navigation issues. clock loses 3 minutes a day and navigation works for about an hour and then ends up of course.

Oh and no way to reset this radio because the slt package doesnt have hot and cold buttons its a dial. I also tried to use the 5.0 reset instructions (hold vr and phone icon on steering whell. however this doesnt work.

If you get a new mirror with the uconnect button it should resolve the uconnect issue. You can also upgrade the heat control bezel with buttons and that should resolve that issue as well. Where is your shark fin antenna located?

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is everyone else's 8.4AN radio talking to them when you press buttons? When I press the Media button a female voice says "Media Button". I have to hit it twice to get it to change to Media then it won't read the USB/iPod that is connected. Thats another issue that I'll be bringing up with my dealer.

I'm just curious if everyone else has a female voice saying "Media Button" and "Play Button" when you hit the play button on the Media screen.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel

I'm sympathetic to your problems but those issues are hardly RAM's fault. The previous owner's upgrade is the issue. I can't blame RAM for that.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the message today. I'm still too afraid to update. Are most people just doing it??

I installed the update a few months ago when it was so new there weren't really any problems being reported. On my '13 Ram 1500 the installation starts and stalls out and then I either have to shut down for several minutes or push in the volume and tuner buttons at the same time for approx 30 seconds to reset the unit.

You're either going to have trouble or you're not. I called UConnect Care and explained the issue, over the phone a tech walked me through a re-set and tried to get it to boot and install without having to go to a dealer. No luck so I got a case # and made a dealer appointment for this morning.

The service adviser just called and said I get a new head unit, 3 days to 3 weeks to arrive so will be making another appointment for a new radio soon.

Never hesitate to call Chrysler Care or Uconnect Care if you need help, they really are good people to work with.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Have you tried holding in the volume and tune buttons for approx 30 seconds or until the screen goes dark to reset? I did the vr/phone icon thing with a tech over the phone a couple of weeks ago and didn't seem to do anything but the volume/tune buttons do reboot my 8.4an.

whitewhale27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get a new mirror with the uconnect button it should resolve the uconnect issue. You can also upgrade the heat control bezel with buttons and that should resolve that issue as well. Where is your shark fin antenna located?

Antenna on roof. Thanks for advice however I did not buy the vehicle to dump money into it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Antenna on roof. Thanks for advice however I did not buy the vehicle to dump money into it.

You could make money if you trade someone for the lower tier radio that came with your truck from the factory.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

whitewhale27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the update a few months ago when it was so new there weren't really any problems being reported. On my '13 Ram 1500 the installation starts and stalls out and then I either have to shut down for several minutes or push in the volume and tuner buttons at the same time for approx 30 seconds to reset the unit.

You're either going to have trouble or you're not. I called UConnect Care and explained the issue, over the phone a tech walked me through a re-set and tried to get it to boot and install without having to go to a dealer. No luck so I got a case # and made a dealer appointment for this morning.

The service adviser just called and said I get a new head unit, 3 days to 3 weeks to arrive so will be making another appointment for a new radio soon.

Never hesitate to call Chrysler Care or Uconnect Care if you need help, they really are good people to work with.
They are not helpful at all, can't help me because vehicle doesn't have assist button thus can't get uconnect account...

whitewhale27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried holding in the volume and tune buttons for approx 30 seconds or until the screen goes dark to reset? I did the vr/phone icon thing with a tech over the phone a couple of weeks ago and didn't seem to do anything but the volume/tune buttons do reboot my 8.4an.
My volume button doesn't push in and my station buttons are tough screen. So no that idea won't work

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine updated today on my way home from work. I never received any prior notification about my truck getting the update. I haven't noticed any problems after the update.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
So, I went to the Uconnect website and entered my Vin. Its says I qualify for this update 8.4AN_RA4_16.33.29_MY16 but I have been on the current update for a while.UGHHH