What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
water heater transport today.....add to my junk pile with the old one.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I took my drill & carbide burr bit to the 20`rims & they fit now.
Also cleaned & waxed the rims.

I put black marker on to see what hits

20%20inch%20rims%20center%20ground%20amp%20waxed%202_zps49jcwn61.jpg

Isn't this a machined lip that makes the wheels hub-centric? I could be wrong but they are designed to use that lip for support.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Isn't this a machined lip that makes the wheels hub-centric? I could be wrong but they are designed to use that lip for support.

I don't know, all I know is that would not sit flush, they were just over a 1/4" away from seating properly.

& now they seat properly & I did not take a lot of metal away, just enough to go over the center of the hub.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know, all I know is that would not sit flush, they were just over a 1/4" away from seating properly.

& now they seat properly & I did not take a lot of metal away, just enough to go over the center of the hub.

I would double check with someone smarter than me. But I believe that that surface has to be exactly on, or it can cause some serious issues.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
I would double check with someone smarter than me. But I believe that that surface has to be exactly on, or it can cause some serious issues.

The rims I took off are not hub centric(hc) rims, yes aftermarket & they did not have the hc rings.

& the fit is still snug.

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
Well, farewell 3rd Gen owners. A moron driver t-boned me on the Drivers side and totaled my 07 Ram a few weeks ago. The shrapnel bomb airbag didnt deploy thank god, lol. I just got the check from the insurance company today, which was actually more than what I paid for the truck, so it ended up working out well. Going to the local Dodge dealership later this week to pick up a new 2015-16 1500 Black Pearl Express with the Hemi. I'm excited. :)

Last edited:

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oil and filter changed. Also pulled the windshield cowling off to clean up the leaves and crap caught underneath it. Found a small area of rust on the passenger side, right by the hood hinge so I cleaned that up and painted it. Fortunately, it's under that plastic cowl so hidden from view.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had time to swap out one rear shock tonight. I will get the other 3 done tomorrow. I also found out that it's a good thing that I've got leaf spring bushings because my passenger's side front is completely shot. That would explain the weirdness that happens when I hit sharp bumps, the back end tries to kick out to the right.

20150821_200504_zpse8vgm0ag.jpg

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Well, farewell 3rd Gen owners. A moron driver t-boned me on the Drivers side and totaled my 07 Ram a few weeks ago. The shrapnel bomb airbag didnt deploy thank god, lol. I just got the check from the insurance company today, which was actually more than what I paid for the truck, so it ended up working out well. Going to the local Dodge dealership later this week to pick up a new 2015-16 1500 Black Pearl Express with the Hemi. I'm excited. :)

side air bag go off??

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replaced my factory shocks with Belltech Street Performance shocks. The difference is night and day, it handles and feels like a completely different truck now. The rubbing that I would get going over large bump from the big front tires is completely gone. I tried to get it to do it and it didn't, where I would try to avoid it happening before and it still would.

If you're lowered and not riding on these, you're doing yourself a disservice.

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
side air bag go off??

None of them did. They must have all been defective. No surprise there after what all I've read. It didn't need it anyway, the truck took the impact like a beast. I wasn't even phased. May she RIP. I already got my eye on a 2015 hemi big horn. She ain't cheap though.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yesterday I replaced spark plugs (all 16), installed new plug wires (Taylor 8.2 again) replaced the EGR valve, cleaned the EGR tube and cleaned the throttle body.

I've had this truck for 7 years and 4 months now, it has 171,760 miles on it and I have put 123,000 of those miles on it myself. 20 oil/filter changes, 4 sets of spark plugs, 3rd set of plug wires, 4 EGR valves, on it's 3rd serpentine belt and the pulleys have all been changed twice, transmission has had 4 fluid and filter changes, rear diff fluid changed 3 times, it's still on the Bilstiens I replaced the stock shocks with, 3rd set of tires, 3rd set of brake pads but only the second set of rotors. I've replaced the radiator once, the fan clutch twice (got the HD always on, noisy unit 1st time) and have had to replace both exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts/studs.

I've looked at new and newer trucks before and just haven't been able to come up with a good enough reason to replace this one yet. This is by far the most reliable car or truck I have had to date and just about the longest I have owned a single vehicle. No major repair work has been done and the engine has never been cracked open (at least since I've owned it). The biggest repair work will be rebuilding the front suspension next week but that's only because of the high mileage. Hopefully I can double the mileage in the next 7 years!

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Got my air bag recall scheduled for this Friday at 10am.

First dealer had a waiting list because they didn't have the parts available for a few months out. Second one had parts on hand. Both are in San Diego County. I wonder why one has the parts and the other doesn't seem to be able to get them.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove it to work and cracked the 75K mileage.
:favorites13:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
mine sat since Thursday....been at 75k for quite awhile now.