What year and size ram gets the best actual MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lester1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently drive a Dodge Challenger and it goes nowhere in the snow. Have a job that i'm required to go to work in any weather. Also want to do some off roading. I'm looking for a four door, regular bed, 4X4, ram truck. Debating if I want a 1500 or 2500. What years get the best actual MPG? Wish there were more stick shifts made. This will be a daily driver so I want the best mileage possible in a truck. Not really into the new 1500 fiatt diesel.

Are the 1500 or 2500's better in the snow and off road? Thanks!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The best mileage possible is from the new 1500 diesel. After that, it's from a 2006 or earlier 5.9 cummins 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lester1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of mileage would the 5.9 cummins get?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a Suzuki samurai

rph74

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 liter 6-Speed Manual
If you look on autotrader, you will easily find manual trans. Rams, but you would have to travel to get it likely. I love mine! There aren't that many out there, but they do exist. Btw 2008 Ram was the last half ton made with a manual trans. I think lower level Fords had manuals too that year.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your best bet is to do some research on here Browse All Cars | Fuelly
Those will be real world numbers, not estimates from the overhead.
You also have to take into account any modifications because those will change the actual fuel economy good/bad.

smokedya

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
unfortunately there is no Chrysler product that gets good MPG. If you need 4wd and extreme ground Clarence isn't important I would buy a ford escape.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get a Suzuki samurai

My Samurai's haven't gotten all that great of mileage.
But that was funny.

If you get a truck, you are going to pay fuel costs. Period.

Some people consider 17 mpg horrible. Some rejoice.

My 1500 has independent front suspension and has a softer ride.

My 2500 has a solid front axle and has more ground clearance.

Either will get you anywhere you need to go off highway or in bad conditions within reason. Driver skill is 10X more valuable in those conditions than the type of vehicle being operated.

For what it sounds like, you need a 1500 4x4 with the Hemi. Make sure it has a Limited Slip rear end, but not the lower gears that come with the towing package.

If you aren't ready to pay the fuel bill, then walk away. As jokingly put (but honest) by others before me, you will be better off in a SUV or AWD wagon of some sort. They are very capable and haul a lot of stuff. You just won't get that "manly-man" truck feeling that we do everytime we stare at our trucks at the fuel stop as we fill up yet again.

smokedya

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My Samurai's haven't gotten all that great of mileage.
But that was funny.

If you get a truck, you are going to pay fuel costs. Period.

Some people consider 17 mpg horrible. Some rejoice.

My 1500 has independent front suspension and has a softer ride.

My 2500 has a solid front axle and has more ground clearance.

Either will get you anywhere you need to go off highway or in bad conditions within reason. Driver skill is 10X more valuable in those conditions than the type of vehicle being operated.

For what it sounds like, you need a 1500 4x4 with the Hemi. Make sure it has a Limited Slip rear end, but not the lower gears that come with the towing package.

If you aren't ready to pay the fuel bill, then walk away. As jokingly put (but honest) by others before me, you will be better off in a SUV or AWD wagon of some sort. They are very capable and haul a lot of stuff. You just won't get that "manly-man" truck feeling that we do everytime we stare at our trucks at the fuel stop as we fill up yet again.

Very well put and like I said. Ford escape. Best MPG SUV period! Subi's don't get that great but they do get ok MPG but are very spendy to repair. ANY SUV out there besides the escape will get you a best of probably mid 20's MPG the escape is getting mid high 30's MPG. Or if you you need AWD or ground clearance and just want MPG and FWD get a 2012 focus. They get 40+MPG. Ask me how I know .

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
03 2500 with a 5.9 and manual transmission
Put was the first year for common rail injection and they had a very mild engine tune compared to later years

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Today on a ~225km roadtrip i was getting 15.3 mpg, i checked in mpgs just for you guys lol and i stayed between 70 and 80 mph the whole way with 1 pit stop
Was filled up with ethanol free gas, 4 people and some stuff in the back

I was amazed how efficient it was today, for the speed, mds even came on for little blurts at speeds of over 130 kmh!

Compared to when its -20c and snowing i get 10 mpg lol