Which tires will not vibrate? 35x12.5r20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlonghor1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

So I just lifted my 2016 ram with the maxtrac 7 inch lift. I bought a set of Ironman 35 MT. The shaking is unbearable. At slow speeds the tires feel like I’m driving on gravel, at highway speeds the truck is shaking so badly my seatbelt is locking up constantly.
I really like the look of the 35x12.5s with this lift. Are there any tires y’all would recommend that would drive like my stock tires. I don’t do any off roading just like the look.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take them back and have them balanced properly as well as road forced. Alignment since lifted?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Dad
Hey guys,

So I just lifted my 2016 ram with the maxtrac 7 inch lift. I bought a set of Ironman 35 MT. The shaking is unbearable. At slow speeds the tires feel like I’m driving on gravel, at highway speeds the truck is shaking so badly my seatbelt is locking up constantly.
I really like the look of the 35x12.5s with this lift. Are there any tires y’all would recommend that would drive like my stock tires. I don’t do any off roading just like the look.
Doesn’t sound like a balance issue. it sounds more like you didn’t rotate them and they chopped up. Post a picture of your tires. If you want an aggressive tire with a smooth ride I’d recommend the Mickey Thompsons Baja boss.

OP
OP
T

Txlonghor1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s a couple of pictures. The tires were balanced when installs apparently. I haven’t done alignment yet since lift install. I have that scheduled for tomorrow, hoping that will fix some of it but the tread on these is very uneven I think by design. Some knobs are taller/shorter then others.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m super confused. Those tires where installed at time of the lift? How many miles ago? Those things are a gonner. They will ride like chit forever now and the cupping is so bad. You sure you don’t have other front end issues going on?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
First of all, Ironman tires are some of the worse tires when it comes to balancing, those tires have a tendency of going out of round "tire runout", on top of that I know of 4 people who got those tires on their trucks and all 4 of them had at least 1 tire separate so bad it actually ripped apart and 1 of them had all 4 of his tires brand new separate within 500 miles!

Go with Nitto Ridge Grapplers if you want a nice tire that you can take offroading if you ever want to, I have 20+K miles on my Ridge Grapplers and they are wearing evenly and without any balancing or vibration issues .... get rid of those tires man seriously, especially now that you have a lifted truck don't cheap out on tires.

OP
OP
T

Txlonghor1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean by cupping? So I installed the lift myself last week. Lift is installed correctly and everything’s tight. I purchased these tires used from a guy I know. Got them cheap that’s why I bought them. Didn’t know about cupping though. These tires have only been on my truck 2 days. I kept my original tires just in case this happened and I guess I’m going back to original for a while.

Last edited:

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
What do you mean by cupping? So I installed the lift myself last week. Lift is installed correctly and everything’s tight. I purchased these tires used from a guy I know. Got them cheap that’s why I bought them. Didn’t know about cupping though. These tires have only been on my truck 2 days. I kept my original tires just in case this happened and I guess I’m going back to original for a while.
It is what your tires are. Notice the high and low spots…more commonly known as cupping.

I am equally confused as some others - if you just lifted It, but the tires were used and cupped you bought a used set that will not get better. Some guys reverse rotate them to get the cupping worn down on the opposite side but the reality is you need a new set to find out if you have other issues.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Just get new tires, like I said earlier, those ironman tires are worthless, if you keep those tires on you are going to end up ruining other suspension parts and even lose traction to the point you can lose control of your truck .... trust me when I say you don't wan to continue running those tires with a 7" lift ....

Find yourself some Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Discoverer STT Pros, Nitto Recon Grapplers, so many other tires you can choose from, but really depends and comes down to what you are going to be using your truck for ...

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I purchased these tires used from a guy I know.
Problem #1 right there....

Seriously, you need to wait until you have the alignment completed and the tires balanced before you make any decisions. Also when balancing (road force would be best) have them check for runout. Your "friend" may have hit a curb and dented a rim. If after all that the problem is still there, then first thing I'd do is put your stock wheels/tires back on to see if the issue goes away. Might be your lift from the increased angles of the suspension. If the issue goes away, and you had the wheels/tires balanced, then as others have mentioned you'll either have to buck up and live with it or buck up and buy new tires.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The guy you got the tires from did not rotate them, his alignment was off, and her didn’t buy a quality tire to begin with. Tire tread should be even. Those tires ride horrible especially at low speeds. I’d imagine something like a flinstones mobile

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Problem #1 right there....

Seriously, you need to wait until you have the alignment completed and the tires balanced before you make any decisions. Also when balancing (road force would be best) have them check for runout. Your "friend" may have hit a curb and dented a rim. If after all that the problem is still there, then first thing I'd do is put your stock wheels/tires back on to see if the issue goes away. Might be your lift from the increased angles of the suspension. If the issue goes away, and you had the wheels/tires balanced, then as others have mentioned you'll either have to buck up and live with it or buck up and buy new tires.
We can already see he has "runout", they are "cupped" ....

No doubt he needs new tires

OP
OP
T

Txlonghor1n0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply’s. I’m headed to buy brand new 35 nitto grapplers. Pep boys wouldn’t do an alignment. They said with the lift they only could work in factory trucks so I’m back to the search of finding a shop that’ll align it but I will have new tires by the end of the day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thanks for the reply’s. I’m headed to buy brand new 35 nitto grapplers. Pep boys wouldn’t do an alignment. They said with the lift they only could work in factory trucks so I’m back to the search of finding a shop that’ll align it but I will have new tires by the end of the day.
Which Grapplers, the Recon or Ridge?

Don't even bother with Pep Boys, they have no clue when it comes to alignments ... look for an offroad shop that does alignments ....

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
View attachment 498554

Here it is with the new tires. It rides 100% better. 80mph no vibrations
Sometimes the less expensive route is a costly one. Your new shoes look great. Don’t forget to get the alignment done….you don’t want to deal with worn-out new tires. Not cheap! :)

Captsnappy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gen 4 1500's when lifted in the front more than 2" need new upper control arms, or else all the angles are to drastic. It can cause the type of front suspension problems you are describing. I am not a mechanic, however I learned it the hard way when I lifted my 2020 warlock.