Would you attempt this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure why but I completely missed the 3/4 part I thought I was a 1500.

If he meets is gvcwr the is no issue here. I towed 8k with my halfton we are talking 2-3k more for a 3/4 I really don't think its to far out there hope op has 4.10 other wise he's pushing it close... My advice is empty the fuel tank hit the scales and see what it comes too.

Yeah. I missed the 3/4 too. Thought it was a 1500. That's why I was just shaking my head.

I too tow. A 30'ish Aspen Trail bunk house @ 6,900lbs dry.

I wouldn't want ANY more for my truck to tow. In fact, several times I've wished I'd gotten something smaller because I'm stuck with the truck for a few more years.

OP
OP
R

RamHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do unfortunately have the 3.73s. One thing I do not understand is why 4.10 has a higher legal tow rating, now I'm not dumb I know that would be less strain on the truck, but I think it's dumb how depending on my gearing if I would be legal or not, if I had 4.10s it doesn't make it any more safe, it's the same exact truck just a different gear ratio, kinda the same deal with this truck with a cummins, tows several thousand more because the motor is more powerful, but the dangerous part isn't straining your engine, it's stopping and controlling your load.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Its probably because 4.10's will allow you to better maintain hwy speed on an incline since the imcreased rpms put you higher up on the HP/torque curve. There are a lot of reasons why this is a bad idea, sorry we're not telling you what you want to hear.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I do unfortunately have the 3.73s. One thing I do not understand is why 4.10 has a higher legal tow rating, now I'm not dumb I know that would be less strain on the truck, but I think it's dumb how depending on my gearing if I would be legal or not, if I had 4.10s it doesn't make it any more safe, it's the same exact truck just a different gear ratio, kinda the same deal with this truck with a cummins, tows several thousand more because the motor is more powerful, but the dangerous part isn't straining your engine, it's stopping and controlling your load.

What's legal is set by the manufacture in your gcvwr. The manufacture determines that number by what's safe for everything in the truck includeing the strain on the engine. The strain between 9 and 11k is enough for them to mark it as not safe for the engine or transmission which ever they are conserved about. They won't set 2 limits this truck can handle 15k brakeing and suspension wise but only 9k safe for the engine. The 3.73 and 4.10 truck will have the same payload. In that aspect they are the same.

OP
OP
R

RamHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I understand why they don't have two different ratings like that. There would be too many loopholes. but all this overweight and overwidth stuff out the window, can we get back to the original questions I asked, and if anyone has any other tips or good product suggestions, I'm really looking for opinions of people that put their trucks to work hard and know what theyre really made of, basically would you haul 10k lbs 1500 miles each way and be confident in your trucks abilities.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's legal is set by the manufacture in your gcvwr. The manufacture determines that number by what's safe for everything in the truck includeing the strain on the engine. The strain between 9 and 11k is enough for them to mark it as not safe for the engine or transmission which ever they are conserved about. They won't set 2 limits this truck can handle 15k brakeing and suspension wise but only 9k safe for the engine. The 3.73 and 4.10 truck will have the same payload. In that aspect they are the same.

Actually what is legal is set by state DOT and your insurance coverage and drivers licences class. For example here you can register your truck to pull 3x its scaled weight and if its over 10,000 pounds you need heavy trailer endorsement on your licence or class 1A to tow the legal weight. The information on the door is for warranty if you exceed this and have a failure it will not be covered for repairs or injury claims if truck fails. And the other catch is if the load is over state legal tow limit for your truck you can still tow it legal with an over weight permit issued by DOT. Hope this helps.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I understand why they don't have two different ratings like that. There would be too many loopholes. but all this overweight and overwidth stuff out the window, can we get back to the original questions I asked, and if anyone has any other tips or good product suggestions, I'm really looking for opinions of people that put their trucks to work hard and know what theyre really made of, basically would you haul 10k lbs 1500 miles each way and be confident in your trucks abilities.

Yes I would do it every day all day if it was paying or just when needed for fun and recreation.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sorry man i was just pointing out that your truck is not legally capable of towing your boat. Sure you could tow it no problem most likely. I just dont wanna see you with 5 DOT tickets because you were over gcvwr and over width and such. These trucks are rated like this for a reason. If your truck was 10 years newer it would be a different story but its not and i understand you may not be able to buy a new truck but you should consider regearing if you ever plan on doing this again. I have 3.73 gears and rated for 12,500# apprx. Even with the 6.4 i would never try towing 15k with my truck just because a truck with 4.10s is rated for that. Regearing will also help your transmission because even though ir might be revving a bit more, it wont be working as hard to maintain hwy speeds.

I also have to add that regearing will not change the sticker in your door. Unless you register it to legally carry that much extra weight (in ny you cant..only up to max gvwr). Otherwise if you get scaled and are found to be over any of the weights on your sticker, you'll get bent over by the dot. Technically my truck is only registered for a gvwr of 8400# which only leaves me with 1800# of payload. Even though im rated for 3418# im not registered for it.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Actually what is legal is set by state DOT and your insurance coverage and drivers licences class. For example here you can register your truck to pull 3x its scaled weight and if its over 10,000 pounds you need heavy trailer endorsement on your licence or class 1A to tow the legal weight. The information on the door is for warranty if you exceed this and have a failure it will not be covered for repairs or injury claims if truck fails. And the other catch is if the load is over state legal tow limit for your truck you can still tow it legal with an over weight permit issued by DOT. Hope this helps.

True but untill you register it and go through all that bs to run overweight the legal limit is what's printed in your door jamb. You will be fined by that. If you get in a accident and your running over weight you run the risk of not being covered by your insurance and being on the hook for all damages to your truck there vehicle and there hospital bills and if someone dies the jail time. With that out the way to OP question to help you truck handle it the coolent additive and I suggest flushing the Trans and axles and re filling with full synthetic. The full synthetic will handle heat a lot better.

Knotts89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run a mag-hytech trans pan on my ram and would highly recommend it to you. You could also add a trans temp gauge if you put one on. The mag-hytech diff cover wouldn't be a bad idea either. I would also recommend the superchips tuner they have a tow tune you can use and a transmission tune. 85mm throttle body will also help you in the rpm range you said you were staying at. Good luck towing

OP
OP
R

RamHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using the stock hitch receiver, and then for the hitch I got a Curt that is solid steel, not one of those cheap walmart ones that are welded. I think it's rated for 15,000 or something so I'm good there, it's a 2 5/16th ball, and that's a good idea about a good diff cover, I've seen a lot of guys around town that have some fancy ones with the cooling fins and all, might be a good investment

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yikes. It's combinations like this that I usually pass to get behind me as quickly as possible.

Your receiver is fine but your hitch isn't with that reciever. You should really check your owners manual. Your factory hitch's rated tongue weight is only 600 or 800 lbs without a weight distributing hitch. You're way light on your tongue weight if the trailer weighs 10k-11k lbs too.

OP
OP
R

RamHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hitch receiver is rated for 1000 lbs tongue weight. And I think the hitch is rated for 1200 lbs tongue weight

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That 1000lbs with weight distribution. Actual is only 800 like stangshcky said.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
For the 03 the recommended tuner would be the SC3815 which is obsolete but does everything the 03 can handle with tuning. There is no trans tuning on the 03. These tuners can be found used around $150 shipped. Second choice would be the SC3865 also obsolete and found used. Look at the size of your trans cooler and if the HD trans cooler is physically larger then put the HD cooler on. Maybe consider an aluminum trans pan and differential cover. Gauges to keep track of everything. Heat is the enemy. Good luck..

OP
OP
R

RamHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen people put cooler thermostats in these trucks, would that help with keeping it cool while running hard? I would think so, is there any downsides to a cooler thermostat?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have seen people put cooler thermostats in these trucks, would that help with keeping it cool while running hard? I would think so, is there any downsides to a cooler thermostat?

The downsides are higher emissions and will take a little bit away from your fuel econmy( not much I would doubt you would even knowtice)

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow.

With a 180deg thermostat the engine does run cooler than before with the stock one.

I have also noticed a drop in mpg. Dunno if it's from that or turning off MDS or the new tires I put on it.