Zone 4" lift with bilsteins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Have the Zone 4" w/ 3" Coil and Bilstein 5100 set at 0. The Installer and Zone said 5100s have to be set at 0 when used with another lift. They obviously don't read forums!!
My issue is lifted truck measurements are 41 1/2 & 41 3/4 in front and 44 3/4 & 45 5/8 in the rear (Full tank of fuel!). That's 3 1/2" to 4" rake, have not read anyone else having that big of a difference after install. Heck, even changing 5100s to 1.4 like a lot have done leaves me raked!!
Looking at 5100s to 1.4 and dropping to stock spring and block (2" rear kit) to go get kind of level. Should get me 1/2" rake, just a lot of work.
Your factory rake sounds like mine and I have your exact kit. Crank the Billies to 2.8 and you are set, if not damn close!

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Sir , You should start your own " DIY " Thread on how to install the Zone 4" Lift Kit .
Take notes and LOTS of picture during your install and post up a step by step HOW TO DIY on installing this kit .

I'm sure many would appreciate it!

When I install my 6" BDS I will be posting an informative, picture Heavy Step by Step DIY with many tips and notes on my install , but that will be in about 2 yrs when my power train Warranty runs out

Good luck on your install Sir and if you post a DIY , PLEASE share a link Here !
Do you not trust the powertrain warranty that zone offers with the lift?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you not trust the powertrain warranty that zone offers with the lift?
It's not that I don't trust it , I just would rather not have to possibly deal with dealership and Zone / BDS on the matter if there was an issue ... Needed time to save up for lift , wheels and tires anyway [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just pulled the trigger on a Zone 4" with 3" rear coils and Bilsteins up front for my 2018 1500 crew cab. Planning on putting Nitto Ridge grapplers 295/65R20on my stock 20" big Horn rims. Two questions:

1) Do I need to upgrade my Upper Control Arms (like Mevotech or Zone UCA) since I'm stacking the Bilsteins plus front lift spacer?

2) Will I need a wheel spacer for my stock rims and Nittos? Don't have any fender flares and looking for tires to be flush with body.

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just pulled the trigger on a Zone 4" with 3" rear coils and Bilsteins up front for my 2018 1500 crew cab. Planning on putting Nitto Ridge grapplers 295/65R20on my stock 20" big Horn rims. Two questions:

1) Do I need to upgrade my Upper Control Arms (like Mevotech or Zone UCA) since I'm stacking the Bilsteins plus front lift spacer?

2) Will I need a wheel spacer for my stock rims and Nittos? Don't have any fender flares and looking for tires to be flush with body.

Thanks!!!!

Congrats that will be a nice setup

What height are you going to set the Bils at 1.4”?

The Mevotechs are an inexpensive insurance and better than stock so a lot of members go ahead and add them during install but aren’t required.

295’s will fit perfectly without rubbing the UCA, you won’t need spacers.

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Awesome, that's great news. Thanks for the input and happy I won't need wheel spacers for my tires.

I'm super stoked about the lift. Did a lot of research and these forums have been a huge help!

Plan to set the Bils at 1.4". Rake starting out at 3", so should be pretty close to level. I almost prefer a 0.5" rake.

Was actually planning on getting the Mevotech UCAs since they were relatively cheap. But the shop guy actually talked me out of it and said the stocks would be fine (especially for a 2018). My more recent web searches have mixed reviews on the Mevotech. I'm willing to pay extra $499 for the Zone UCAs if required, but sound like they'll be overkill.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya you really don’t need them. I have the Zone arms on my truck , might be overkill on mine too but my Bils are set to 2.6” lift

Here is a comparison of the zones with the stock arms

345D82DB-F51D-4BA8-82A6-100A097F9F27.jpeg

Last edited:

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wow! That's a nice upgrade, and definitely looks like you get what you pay for.

If I decide to increase my lift later by an inch or so to fit 37" tires (perhaps increase the Bilsteins to 2.1" and add a 1" rear spacer); will I need UCAs then?

If so, may be worth just getting the Zone UCAs now. Plus they look sweet and indestructible.

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Anyone running their Zone 4/3 and Bills @ 0.7?

I like the look of a slight rake, and trying to figure out what to have the Bils set at when I get the install next week. I'm starting off with 3" rake (36.5 front and 39.5 rear).

With Bils @ 1.4 as many have recommemded, I should be at 0.6" rake. With Bils @ 0.7, I'll be at 1.3" rake. Just curious to know what this kit might look like with that much rake.

Thanks!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running their Zone 4/3 and Bills @ 0.7?

I like the look of a slight rake, and trying to figure out what to have the Bils set at when I get the install next week. I'm starting off with 3" rake (36.5 front and 39.5 rear).

With Bils @ 1.4 as many have recommemded, I should be at 0.6" rake. With Bils @ 0.7, I'll be at 1.3" rake. Just curious to know what this kit might look like with that much rake.

Thanks!

member @BOWERSFJ is/was at 0.7, his signature says 0.7 but his post says 1.4", if he doesn't reply start a conversation with him

white truck in this thread
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/want-to-add-lift-after-bilstein-kit.124458/#post-1791869

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I started at 0.7 and it was still too much rake ... Moved em to 1.4 pretty quick ... Need to update my sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
BOWERSFJ, can you share any pics with your rake with Bils @ 0.7???

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just picked up my Zone 4/3 with Bils. Looks great and will post pics soon! Only issue that I noticed is that the front end is sitting higher than expected.

Started with a 2.75" rake. Had them set Bils at 0.7 to keep 1" rake. It sits pretty level with almost no rake. Still looks good, but not the look I was really hoping for.

Do the Zone 4" kits come with preload spacers? Wonder if they mistakenly installed them with the Bils, or even if this is possible? If so, how can I tell if they installed them with Bilsteins??

I also wonder if the Bilsteins will settle over time?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It will settle a little bit ... Give it a couple months

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There should not be spacers in the front ... Those come with the 6" kit

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up my Zone 4/3 with Bils. Looks great and will post pics soon! Only issue that I noticed is that the front end is sitting higher than expected.

Started with a 2.75" rake. Had them set Bils at 0.7 to keep 1" rake. It sits pretty level with almost no rake. Still looks good, but not the look I was really hoping for.

Do the Zone 4" kits come with preload spacers? Wonder if they mistakenly installed them with the Bils, or even if this is possible? If so, how can I tell if they installed them with Bilsteins??

I also wonder if the Bilsteins will settle over time?

Did you set the Bils yourself? I got a 4/3 BDS lift with Bilsteins at 1.4” I’m dead level in all four corners. I didn’t trust the shop to set my Bilsteins correctly, so I set them myself and told the shop not to touch them. They were an authorized BDS installer, so I did trust them with that LOL

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also, make sure they didn't install the spring cup on the bottom of the front springs upsidedown ... That would make it sit too high in the front ... You should not be able to see the ring grooves

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
@BOWERSFJ, really hope it's just the Bils just needing to settle. I'll take a look at the spring cups in the morning. Doesn't seem right to have to drop the Bils to ZERO in order to get a little rake.

@mpittman, I did not set them myself. I dropped it off early in the morning before the tech came in. But I left him a sheet with specific instructions for setting Bils at 0.7 (2nd ring from bottom) in order to get a 1" rake. Before it got too dark, I did peer underneath and it appears they are on the right notch. The shop is a BDS/Zone dealer as well, so I hope they knew what they were doing. Though they didn't understand why I wanted to replace stock struts with Bilsteins with the Zone 4 kit.

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@BOWERSFJ, really hope it's just the Bils just needing to settle. I'll take a look at the spring cups in the morning. Doesn't seem right to have to drop the Bils to ZERO in order to get a little rake.

@mpittman, I did not set them myself. I dropped it off early in the morning before the tech came in. But I left him a sheet with specific instructions for setting Bils at 0.7 (2nd ring from bottom) in order to get a 1" rake. Before it got too dark, I did peer underneath and it appears they are on the right notch. The shop is a BDS/Zone dealer as well, so I hope they knew what they were doing. Though they didn't understand why I wanted to replace stock struts with Bilsteins with the Zone 4 kit.

My shop was a little perplexed about the bilstein lift as well. That’s exactly why I set them myself. I just know our setups sound really similar and I’m dead level with Bils at 1.4”. Most people are with a 4/3 lift.