01 ram gets hot with ac on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sound=vibration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title states my truck gets warm when driving with the ac on. The truck does not burn any water or oil. My guess would be the fan clutch? With out the ac on the truck stays around half, if driving in stop and go traffic the needle ventures up a bit but never into the "hot" region.

Truck is an 01 1500 172xxx with the 5.9.

Thanks for any help.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first guess would be that your water pump is failing, second guess would be the fan clutch.

OP
OP
S

sound=vibration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input. I was planning on doing the fan clutch and serpentine belt next week, figure I might as well do the water pump as its only 70 bucks for a new one.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should flush the coolant system when you pop the water pump off too, just preventative maintenance. My clutch fan is getting swapped this weekend (started chirping). The water pump swap is a bit more in depth but hugely worth it, it is a high fail part and worth replacing any time you are within 2 bolts of taking it off!!! Just my humble opinion.

OP
OP
S

sound=vibration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read a diy on the water pump, im more then confident i can replace it. i do have a decent automotive background and motorcycle background.

to be completely honest this truck was an impulse buy. i came from the honda scene, when i was out buying parts for another car my car was stolen from the parking lot. it was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth and enough to make me sell all my honda stuff.
I know not everything is the same but most stuff transfers over. Again thanks for the advise as this is a whole new vehicle for me.

OP
OP
S

sound=vibration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to give an update.
Turns out the water pump is fine. I started with replacing the fan clutch and then the thermostat. Neither seemed to help. I began to think it was the head gaskets even though it was not smoking or loosing coolant.
I dropped the truck off at my mechanics, turns out it was the radiator. He said it was running on half a radiator. It runs great now and has no cooling issues at all.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Thanks for the update :) Good to read it's back to normal.